Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
How long before Bill Armstrong takes a GM job?
If that will diminished his scouting job and it success I rather have some other doing GM job then Bill. I view Army has done A+ in GM job recent years signings and acquiring for areas what were weak.

I also think coming off-season (this summer) we'll see Allen case problem solved if not then we could discuss has Army failed in some way with Allen. Allen is only thing what remembers me his mistakes about too hesitate signings or failured trades.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
How long before Bill Armstrong takes a GM job?
Probably a while, it seems like most GMs are either part of the old boys club or younger analytics types. It also seems like there are a lot of qualified people out there chasing only a few jobs.

And don't underestimate the Peter Principle, taking a guy away from what he does well (scouting) into a position where you are in charge of everything. Im not saying he does or doesn't have the capacity to be a GM, but hiring him as GM because he was a good scout doesn't make any sense because he will be doing mostly non-scouting things as GM.

Look at Jarmo (who even had GM experience in Finlandia), he has done alright in Columbus, but they aren't succeeding because of their drafts and he has made his fair share of questionable trades/signings.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I hope the Blues can keep Bill in his current role for a long time. I think it is worth pointing out that the Blues promoted him to Assistant GM last summer (along with him retaining the title of Director of Amateur Scouting). Hopefully that came with a substantial raise. One advantage to that promotion is that there is essentially only one promotion available after that: General Manager. The unwritten rule in the NHL is that you give other teams permission to talk to your front office employees if they are interviewing for a position that would be seen as a direct promotion. Before this promotion, the expected professional courtesy would have been for the Blues to let him interview with other teams for jobs like Assistant GM or Director of Hockey Operations. Now, the expected professional courtesy would only be to let teams talk to him for their GM job.

I would expect that most teams would like to see him work as the Assistant GM for a few years before he is a serious candidate to become their GM.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I hope the Blues can keep Bill in his current role for a long time. I think it is worth pointing out that the Blues promoted him to Assistant GM last summer (along with him retaining the title of Director of Amateur Scouting). Hopefully that came with a substantial raise. One advantage to that promotion is that there is essentially only one promotion available after that: General Manager. The unwritten rule in the NHL is that you give other teams permission to talk to your front office employees if they are interviewing for a position that would be seen as a direct promotion. Before this promotion, the expected professional courtesy would have been for the Blues to let him interview with other teams for jobs like Assistant GM or Director of Hockey Operations. Now, the expected professional courtesy would only be to let teams talk to him for their GM job.

I would expect that most teams would like to see him work as the Assistant GM for a few years before he is a serious candidate to become their GM.
Was Jarmo an assistant GM? I don’t recall that. I know he wanted a GM job and that’s why he went to Europe for a bit.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I saw something calling into question Binnington's political correctness, based on some old tweets.

What I remember about him is having Will Smith's image on his helmet, and praising Smith as cool in the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air series. This was several year ago. That is embracing diversity, if you ask me.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Apparently the home team has to make the GDT for the Playoffs board. I guess it's a good thing we don't have home ice advantage, potentially less GDTs we have to make for the main boards. Perhaps this can be our theme for game 3:

nSs38G9.png

Or we can just copy and paste an old theme to save time and effort. I'd hate for one of us to have to come up with something original and then make a whole GDT with it. I'm tired just thinking about it.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Apparently the home team has to make the GDT for the Playoffs board. I guess it's a good thing we don't have home ice advantage, potentially less GDTs we have to make for the main boards. Perhaps this can be our theme for game 3:

nSs38G9.png

Or we can just copy and paste an old theme to save time and effort. I'd hate for one of us to have to come up with something original and then make a whole GDT with it. I'm tired just thinking about it.
Could we do half ass and half goat? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
How much trouble would we be in if we did a half-ass GDT? Was it 2 years ago where they went with the other team's GDT because we didnt make one?
Yes. We tried to do our usual half-assed one, and the mods refused it and used the opponents GDT which was....traditional. It felt kind of like a slap in the face, since that was kind of our forum tradition they were crapping on. But I doubt it would be received any better now.

Can we do one themed on the movie Airplane? There are lots of great .gifs we could use.

Reactions: TK 421

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Everything is working except special teams...FIX IT

Keep an eye out for Paul McFarland this offseason. Just got fired from Florida in the house cleaning for coach Q, but he had that dumpster fire of a roster in the top 5 PP% in the league for most of the season. OHL pedigree, which we like. Coached with Daniel Tkazcuk, which we adore. He’d make a fine assistant coach here.

Unfortunately, it is what it is this season. We’re a middling power play squad. I don’t think there’s any fixing that can be done at this point, especially not now that we’re in the playoffs. There isn’t any new systems instruction happening right now for anybody.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
How much trouble would we be in if we did a half-ass GDT? Was it 2 years ago where they went with the other team's GDT because we didnt make one?
The standing rule of thumb is that it has to be an actual GDT, or the other team's gets used.

That standard goes back beyond the point when our own half-assed GDT inside joke came about.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Yes. We tried to do our usual half-assed one, and the mods refused it and used the opponents GDT which was....traditional. It felt kind of like a slap in the face, since that was kind of our forum tradition they were crapping on. But I doubt it would be received any better now.

Can we do one themed on the movie Airplane? There are lots of great .gifs we could use.
I really wanted to put together a Game of Thrones one, but I don't think I'm going to have the time.

GOT's final season premiers 4/14, Blues are playing the "White Walkers," etc. It all sets up too perfectly not to use it.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I really wanted to put together a Game of Thrones one, but I don't think I'm going to have the time.

GOT's final season premiers 4/14, Blues are playing the "White Walkers," etc. It all sets up too perfectly not to use it.
If I had any photoshop skills at all, I would assist you with that. But instead I'll just rely on the good people of our forum to create the thread.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013

Ya the 8pm Premier time is really cramping my style with the Blues starting at 6:30. My wife laughed when I said we could just wait until after the game to watch it around 9....

Reactions: Blueston

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I can try and get a GDT together if no one else wants to. It won't be GOT themed but I'm happy to do something.

Reactions: LGB

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
I’m curious about that first sentence, why’s that?

Without going into details, basically the writers ran out of book material. They had to tie up a million loose ends really fast so the show could end. That said, the directors for this last season have some amazing episodes under their belt. A really good s8 could make me recommend GoT again.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Without going into details, basically the writers ran out of book material. They had to tie up a million loose ends really fast so the show could end. That said, the directors for this last season have some amazing episodes under their belt. A really good s8 could make me recommend GoT again.

Episode 1 sucked lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->