Proposal: Blues Devils

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
McLeod has what a lot of Blues don't have which is Elite speed, he can play right side of Thomas ROR or Sunny
But him alone doesn't equal the value of Dunn and Bozak
He isn't good. MPS had speed and he wasn't good NHL player. And MPS is much better than McLeod.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Bozak needs to move so the Blues can add a scoring winger like Hoffman, Blues have Barbie Sunny De la Rose for the 3rd and 4th line Center
Blues need to cover themselves for expansion draft and with Schwartz UFA next year, hence getting 3 forwards that don't have to be protected and cost controlled
I think there is fair value with Bozak Stanford Dunn for the three players I listed

That's completely counterproductive though. We sign Hoffman, which we need a winger with a shot to replace Tank. But we lose our 3rd line center, Sanford who shot 17.8% last year and looked like a good fit next to ROR, and Dunn for futures. If we're looking to make noise during Hoffman's 1 year here, why are we giving up 3 legit NHLers for guys who may not make any impact on our big club at all. Berube is notoriously hard on young skill players. Kyrou has taken forever and it also took Thomas a little while to settle in, and he's better than anyone offered here.

If you're making the argument for Hoffman, it would be Hoffman + young roster forward vs. Dunn and Bozak, being that we have the depth to replace Dunn (but prob not without a bit of decrease in play.) To toss in another top 6 winger for futures doesn't bode well for trying to contend this year.

For a team who seems to be leaving their contending window with Tank's future unclear and Petro gone, and whose farm system is one of the worst in the NHL, it doesn't make any sense to deal an asset like Dunn in order to get rid of Bozak's last year. We need a RETURN on Dunn. Even a lot of NJ's fans get that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67Blues

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Yeah, either Dunn is package with a cap dump, and in this market Bozak at 5m is dump, and you get not much or trade Dunn alone for better stuff. Or keep Dunn. Here the Devils take on a ton of salary and lose three prospects to get Dunn.

Sanford makes 1.5m for a year and then is eligible for arbitration so he’s not cheap either compared to guys on ELCs. Just because the Devils don’t have cap issues doesn’t mean they don’t want forwards on ELCs too.
If anything bozak makes 1 million to much for his 2/3 c ability. So not a dump

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
So, understanding that Dunn is an increasingly unrealistic target, would Blues fans do something around McLeod and Sanford?
Agreed with everything in your post until this last bit. Less than zero interest (to put it nicely) in anything involving McLeod for Sanford.

I've always been a Zacha fan and think his game would fit in will with the Blues lineup...I get that most devils fans seem to value him highly and he wouldn't come cheap, but I think there could be a reasonable deal based around Zacha for Dunn.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Deal that gives the Devils LHD and good depth pieces, while Blues get young forwards and much needed Cap Space
Kuokkanen, Janne (800K)
Boqvist, Jesper (800k)
Mcleod, Michael (900k)

(10 m) still gives them around 9 million to sign Blackwood and Bratt
Sanford, Zachary (1.5m)
Bozak, Tyler (5m)
Dunn, Vince (3.5-4m) RFA

I laughed my butt off when I read Devils fans said no. McLeod is a bust, he stinks. Boqvist is barely a role playing prospect. Kuokkanen is a solid prospect. Dunn is a young, proven, outstanding defenseman. The three guys from the Devils will never be as good as Dunn. Sanford is a 6'4, 25 year old role playing forward who has proven he can play in the NHL. There is no freakin way the Blues would do that. They could get a crapload for Dunn. Not the crap proposed in this deal.

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
I laughed my butt off when I read Devils fans said no. McLeod is a bust, he stinks. Boqvist is barely a role playing prospect. Kuokkanen is a solid prospect. Dunn is a young, proven, outstanding defenseman. The three guys from the Devils will never be as good as Dunn. Sanford is a 6'4, 25 year old role playing forward who has proven he can play in the NHL. There is no freakin way the Blues would do that. They could get a crapload for Dunn. Not the crap proposed in this deal.

Don’t disagree on MM or Kuokkanen, however you either haven’t watched Boqvist at all or just don’t know about him. The kid has a ton of skill and can potentially be a top 6 winger imo. Definitely should spend a full year in the A but your assessment of him and the kind of prospect he is, is far far off.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
We have Butcher. I’d rather go after a more defensive minded d as that is more needed. Dunn has looked okay defensively from what I saw of the maybe 7-8 games I watched of him as a pro. Until the playoffs this year and after what I saw I would like to stay clear away from him.
Prior to being a pro I didn’t think he was anything special defensively. He arguably wasn’t even the best defenseman on his minor hockey team.
If we needed an offensive guy, by all means let’s get him. But I don’t want to waste an asset. Do we need defensemen? Yes. Not necessarily this style though.

o_O

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013

That's what I thought too. All 3 of those prospects seem.....not great. Why would we trade Dunn and Bozak for that?

Bozak has been solid for us. Dunn is a 23 year old defenseman that by most metrics should be playing 2nd pair minutes already, if he was on just about any other team.

If someone wants Dunn they are going to have to give the Blues something shiny in return. This is not a cap dump.

Reactions: Blueston

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
That's what I thought too. All 3 of those prospects seem.....not great. Why would we trade Dunn and Bozak for that?

Bozak has been solid for us. Dunn is a 23 year old defenseman that by most metrics should be playing 2nd pair minutes already, if he was on just about any other team.

If someone wants Dunn they are going to have to give the Blues something shiny in return. This is not a cap dump.
mcleod stinks other two are very solid

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

To NJ Bozak would be a cap dump. I’ve read mixed things on Dunn as a defender in his own zone. He may not be a fit for NJ who have Butcher and will be bringing Smith along.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

We don't need to dump cap anymore, but Bozak is mostly a cap dump in a trade. He is overpaid. You cannot really trade a guy who is overpaid, especially in a flat cap, and expect his salary to not factor in. Having said that, getting rid of Bozak's salary and not having to pay Dunn was a much bigger issue before Petro left than now. Now, it could be argued, that we need Bozak more than we need to get rid of him. He is a solid, versatile 3rd line center, he's just paid like more like a 2nd line center.

We don't need to pay to move Bozak because we don't need to move Bozak anymore. We can still trade Dunn, but it doesn't make sense to trade him for spare parts or to add what other teams would view as a negative asset to diminish the return. Dunn is a solid all-around defenseman and if we're not going to get a return based on him having that value, we should probably keep him too.

Reactions: stl76

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Jesper Boqvist is the best of the three and would instantly be a top-3 prospect for St Louis

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If anything bozak makes 1 million to much for his 2/3 c ability. So not a dump
killorn most probably is worth his contract and might still be considered a cap dump from value perspective in a trade. if the acquiring team is not asking for a player and the selling team wants to include him in the transaction to move out his salary, he is a cap dump. regardless if he is overpaid or underpaid.
i doubt nj is trying to acquire bozak. if they accept him in a trade, he would be a cap dump and therefore wouldn't have positive trade value.

Reactions: Guttersniped

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Jesper Boqvist is the best of the three and would instantly be a top-3 prospect for St Louis

You could make an argument for Boqvist that would be better than being a top 3 prospect in our basement farm system.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
killorn most probably is worth his contract and might still be considered a cap dump from value perspective in a trade. if the acquiring team is not asking for a player and the selling team wants to include him in the transaction to move out his salary, he is a cap dump. regardless if he is overpaid or underpaid.
i doubt nj is trying to acquire bozak. if they accept him in a trade, he would be a cap dump and therefore wouldn't have positive trade value.

Let's be real. Blues are not asking to put bozak in a deal. We don't have to. He is gone next year and is valuable as the 3c

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
The only player blues would trade is Dunn and thats if we got a 1st or a blue chiper. Thats it and only because his position is strength end of story. The bozak keeps getting thrown in so Devils or Vancouver or whom ever can get Dunn at next to nothing

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Let's be real. Blues are not asking to put bozak in a deal. We don't have to. He is gone next year and is valuable as the 3c
OP is from St.Louis. So it seems from HFB perspective the Blues were asking to put Bozak in the deal. Obviously you can disagree with the intention of OP.
From a Devils perspective Bozak is a cap dump and would not have positive trade value. There are enough teams out there with dire need for cap space, that would treat a similar contract as a cap dump and offer a team with cap space an asset for accepting said contract. If the Blues aren't that team fine. Just remove Bozak from the equation and go on from there.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
The only player blues would trade is Dunn and thats if we got a 1st or a blue chiper. Thats it and only because his position is strength end of story. The bozak keeps getting thrown in so Devils or Vancouver or whom ever can get Dunn at next to nothing

Not if a team really wants him 4.3mil offersheet for a 2nd round pick, im sure you would match but now you have to potentially trade a 2nd + to dump someone because no one is taking Bozak for free and I'm not really sure what else the Blues can dump, Scandella ?

Just look at the Devon Toews deal NYI weighed the options, it would have cost them more than 2 2nds to keep him than to trade him, and their still not in the clear with Barzal and Pulock.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Not if a team really wants him 4.3mil offersheet for a 2nd round pick, im sure you would match but now you have to potentially trade a 2nd + to dump someone because no one is taking Bozak for free and I'm not really sure what else the Blues can dump, Scandella ?

Just look at the Devon Toews deal NYI weighed the options, it would have cost them more than 2 2nds to keep him than to trade him, and their still not in the clear with Barzal and Pulock.
Once again we have 13 mil of ltir. Steen is done at 5.75 covers that entirely. Tarasenko at 7.5 depends on how long he is gone. So nope

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

Also bozak and Steen fall off next year at combined 13.125 mil. Blues are just fine. I also think that Seattle takes faulk thats 6.5 more gone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->