Proposal: Blues Devils

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
if the blues were still trying to sign pietrangelo, perhaps, but now they probably aren't looking to move three regulars out of the line up.

dunn alone, probably a deal to be had, but not dunn and two of our top nine

Reactions: stl76 and Blueston

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Devils say no very easily. Rebuilding team Not giving up two of their best forward prospects while giving the other team cap relief...

Whitsmith803

Jul 11, 2016
St. Louis, MO
if the blues were still trying to sign pietrangelo, perhaps, but now they probably aren't looking to move three regulars out of the line up.

dunn alone, probably a deal to be had, but not dunn and two of our top nine

Reason for this is to open up Cap for goal scorers like Mike Hoffman, Andreas Athanasiou, or Erik Haula

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Now that we have lost Petro, I am not interested in packaging Dunn with a cap dump. It only made since to keep AP. If we move Dunn it will be for full value now. This is a good deal though IF we were going to rebuild but we do not need to do that JUST because we lost AP

Whitsmith803

Jul 11, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Now that we have lost Petro, I am not interested in packaging Dunn with a cap dump. It only made since to keep AP. If we move Dunn it will be for full value now. This is a good deal though IF we were going to rebuild but we do not need to do that JUST because we lost AP

How are you going to keep Dunn with Krug, Scandella, Gunner, Mikkola, Perunovich, Walman? Blues need Goals up top and Devils are said to be interested in Dunn

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Bozak detracts too much from the package to warrant giving up that much middle six depth.

I like Dunn but not enough to gut two smart players about to make the jump in Boqvist and Kuokkanen.

If you're offloading cap to the Devils, you have to understand that that is a pain trade - meaning you give way more than you get.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Reason for this is to open up Cap for goal scorers like Mike Hoffman, Andreas Athanasiou, or Erik Haula
i don't think the blues are courting any of those guys. i would be surprised to see athanasiou stay in the nhl as well with tighter pandemic budgets.

blues would likely entertain moving dunn, doubt they'd throw bozak in at all now that pietrangelo is gone, and sanford has made space for himself on the team

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Whitsmith803

Jul 11, 2016
St. Louis, MO
i don't think the blues are courting any of those guys. i would be surprised to see athanasiou stay in the nhl as well with tighter pandemic budgets.

blues would likely entertain moving dunn, doubt they'd throw bozak in at all now that pietrangelo is gone, and sanford has made space for himself on the team

Krug/Mikkola take over for Petro/Dunn Bozak really isn't a fit for the Blues anymore with Thomas and Kryou but is still a valuable depth piece
And Army really wants Hoffman and would replace Sanford's spot next to ROR and Perron

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think this works, for a few reasons...

Anchoring Dunn to a cap dump only made sense when the Blues were still in the running for Pietrangelo. Now that there isn't an urgent need for STL to clear ~8M in cap space, there is no reason to lose Dunn in the name of cutting salary. If they trade Dunn, it'll be for full value.

While STL gains some upper-end futures here, they lose a lot of quality depth at the NHL level. I'm not sure that's advisable for a team looking to contend. This idea might be more workable if STL dishes one of Sanford or Bozak; losing both, along with Dunn, makes their team worse.

Similarly - while NJ gains some quality NHL depth, they lose a lot of futures here - and, more importantly, futures that they like. Kuokkanen was specifically targeted in the Vatanen trade, and Fitzgerald has spoken very highly of Boqvist (although he was AGM at the time).

So, understanding that Dunn is an increasingly unrealistic target, would Blues fans do something around McLeod and Sanford?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Devils are better off keeping their prospects and weaponizing their cap space against teams like Tampa that will be forced to make a very painful move.

Whitsmith803

Jul 11, 2016
St. Louis, MO

Anchoring Dunn to a cap dump only made sense when the Blues were still in the running for Pietrangelo. Now that there isn't an urgent need for STL to clear ~8M in cap space, there is no reason to lose Dunn in the name of cutting salary. If they trade Dunn, it'll be for full value.

Blues have 1.1m in Cap, that's not enough to sign Dunn and with Blues signing Krug to me the Blues will trade Dunn
Bozak, Tyler
Dunn, Vince
Devils are deep at LW and C flipping them for 1 year expiring contract and LHD who is young and high upside
Zacha, Pavel
Mcleod, Michael

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

While STL gains some upper-end futures here, they lose a lot of quality depth at the NHL level. I'm not sure that's advisable for a team looking to contend. This idea might be more workable if STL dishes one of Sanford or Bozak; losing both, along with Dunn, makes their team worse.

Similarly - while NJ gains some quality NHL depth, they lose a lot of futures here - and, more importantly, futures that they like. Kuokkanen was specifically targeted in the Vatanen trade, and Fitzgerald has spoken very highly of Boqvist (although he was AGM at the time).

So, understanding that Dunn is an increasingly unrealistic target, would Blues fans do something around McLeod and Sanford?
Why McLeod hasn't shown anything at all. Sandford doubled his goals. Rather keep sandford.

Reactions: Blueston

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Blues have 1.1m in Cap, that's not enough to sign Dunn and with Blues signing Krug to me the Blues will trade Dunn
Bozak, Tyler
Dunn, Vince
Devils are deep at LW and C flipping them for 1 year expiring contract and LHD who is young and high upside
Zacha, Pavel
Mcleod, Michael[Sandford.
Blues have tarasenko 7.5 mil and Steen 5.5 on ltir. Steen is most likely finished and tarasenko won't even be evaluated till March with rehab taking at minimum a month. This is his second surgery in two years on same shoulder so he won't be back quick.

This means blues at minimum have all of Steen 5.5 and half of tarasenko at 4 mil that's 9-10 mil ltir so there is not cap crunch to sign Dunn.

Gunnerson bozak and Steen fall off cap next year thats 12+ mil enough to pay Dunn 4 and sxhwartz 6

No issues

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Bozak, Tyler
Dunn, Vince
Zacha, Pavel
Mcleod, Michael
I wouldn't say "deep" at LW. Yes we have a lot of prospects and players that play LW but no real top 6 LW (maybe Gusev). At C , we have two studs with Nico and Hughes . If we trade Zacha then we have Zajac and a handful of unproven guys for 3/4 C duties.
Id love to get Dunn somehow but not sure what to give up . I would not want to trade Zacha. I am more comfortable trading Mcleod Bastian Boqvist etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad