Blues Clueless - Fall in First Round Once Again

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Like a Shakespearean tragedy set within the plot lines of Groundhog Day, the St. Louis Blues once again found a way to lose in the first round this HFNHL post-season.

Or to quote Yogi, it was Deja vu all over again.

Coming off of their fourth President’s Trophy in the past five seasons, the Blues followed a similar path to their first round exodus.

Get a series lead. Check.

Outshoot the opponent. Check.

Watch your top notch special teams implode. Check.

When it’s time for the big goal, let the other team score it. Check.

While full credit has to be given to a Columbus Blue Jackets squad that has to be counted as one of the tougher 8th seeds a top seed might have to face in recent memory, the fact remains the Blues were a dominating club this regular season and despite the match-up with a formidable first round opponent, the Blues were unable to ultimately win the series, which was again a massive upset, in what has been a series of massive upsets.

While the organization refused to comment on the immediate or long-term direction of the club, the same questions are now being asked with a higher degree of rhetoric by local fans and media.

The same core players - the same result. Only now, the core is older and more expensive than it was five years ago. Should it be blown up altogether? Should the key pieces of the core be turned over?

It is expected the Blues brass will take a hiatus before making a commitment on the future direction of the club, although the scouting staff remains active in anticipation of the Entry Draft come June. The Blues have two 1st round picks, their own and the Edmonton Oilers, with which the team is hoping to further re-stock their prospect base.

It is also anticipated the Blues will move at least one of their defenceman this offseason, as the team currently has 9 d-man that played at least 25 games in the NHL last season.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I think all your "checks" apply to my club's defeat as well. It's been a strange playoffs in the West, but part of that really is a product of the strength and depth of the Conference.

I can only imagine how frustrated you must be. Every year I think it will be your year, and it just never is. It's not an indictment of your managerial efforts, just a fluke of the sim I guess.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Brock called it at the start of the year, saying all I needed was a goalie and a top-pairing defenceman. Vokoun and Timonen later, I was able to secure the upset. Thanks for the suggestion, Brock! :D

Of course, none of that's helping me so far against the Avs, because now it's Colorado my boys are trailing 2-0. But if recent history holds true, I'll turn it around and win four of five to take the series.

<crickets>

Nah, not even I believe I call pull that one off, especially with Briere knocked out of the lineup for a couple of games.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->