Blues cancel practice after multiple Positive COVID-19 tests.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I apologize if it’s already been mentioned or discussed. But have ALL the details come out in regards to the bubble? Like about the staff at the hotels and restaurants that are included in the NHL bubble. Will the people that work at the places that the NHL guys can go too also stay in the bubble? Like stay at the hotels the players and staff are, and committing to this like they are? Or are they allowed to go home and see their family who are out and about in the real world which will effectively ruin the entire bubble concept?

They dont get paid enough to commit to that

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
They can talk to them as much as they want, but what happens if the playoffs start and suddenly the Bruins get infected and all of Bergeron, McAvoy, Pasta, Marchand and Cassidy are out? Do they say too bad so sad and make them keep playing, making these playoff results a joke? Shut down the playoffs again for 3+ weeks while everyone gets better?

I strongly doubt we have games

My post has literally nothing to do with this scenario.

Of course that may happen. I never said there would not be risks. I am sure the NHL is well aware of those risks and they believe with the plans they have in place it won't come to that. I am sure the authorities I mentioned earlier are also confident of that and that is why they are proceeding.

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
They can talk to them as much as they want, but what happens if the playoffs start and suddenly the Bruins get infected and all of Bergeron, McAvoy, Pasta, Marchand and Cassidy are out? Do they say too bad so sad and make them keep playing, making these playoff results a joke? Shut down the playoffs again for 3+ weeks while everyone gets better?

Exactly. This is all such a joke. If some outbreak occurs mid-playoffs.......which can easily happen.......all of it falls apart.

Maybe they know that, and have to go thru the motions, so that in the event that that happens, they can make a full insurance claim, so the NHL is not out all that network deal money. Who knows?

But I know it's all so stupid. Some players are definitely at risk already. Domi won't play, so there goes what little chance Montreal had. Actually, they had no chance anyway....who's kidding who? :)

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

While the bubble doesn't completely eliminate the risk 100%, something like that shouldn't happen as long as players/staff do not break protocol and leave the bubble.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
While the bubble doesn't completely eliminate the risk 100%, something like that shouldn't happen as long as players/staff do not break protocol and leave the bubble.

As we’ve seen countless times already, people strugle to follow the rules here. It’s not just players and staff, but rink crews, tv crews, media, hotel staff, restaurant staff, etc. Trying to keep a group of likely close to 1000 entirely quarantined for months is basically impossible

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
My post has literally nothing to do with this scenario.

Of course that may happen. I never said there would not be risks. I am sure the NHL is well aware of those risks and they believe with the plans they have in place it won't come to that. I am sure the authorities I mentioned earlier are also confident of that and that is why they are proceeding.

Or they are proceeding because the NHL needs games to happen desperately so they’re going ahead with the plans until something bad inevitably shuts them down again.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
As we’ve seen countless times already, people strugle to follow the rules here. It’s not just players and staff, but rink crews, tv crews, media, hotel staff, restaurant staff, etc. Trying to keep a group of likely close to 1000 entirely quarantined for months is basically impossible

If you read up on all return to play agreement, all of those people are going to be tested before entering the bubble every day. There's no fullproof system, but this will be as close as it gets. Not to mention all those groups you mention will not necessarily be in direct contact with each other - i.e. TV and rink crews do not need to be in contact with each other or players. And is media availability even going to be a thing? If so, I imagine much of it can be done remotely.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If you read up on all return to play agreement, all of those people are going to be tested before entering the bubble every day. There's no fullproof system, but this will be as close as it gets. Not to mention all those groups you mention will not necessarily be in direct contact with each other - i.e. TV and rink crews do not need to be in contact with each other or players. And is media availability even going to be a thing? If so, I imagine much of it can be done remotely.

All it takes is one rink staff to touch the wrong railing while infected, and it’s all over.

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
Or they are proceeding because the NHL needs games to happen desperately so they’re going ahead with the plans until something bad inevitably shuts them down again.

Possibly. Although I thought I have seen it stated that it would be financially more damaging restarting and shutting back down as opposed to just cancelling. For that reason I don't believe that is the case.

Also don't think it is inevitable.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I never said anything about this virus being like the common cold, I only said that this virus is not the Black Plague, yes its more infectious then the flu, im only saying stop making sound like this virus kills anyone who gets infected its not the case, the vast majority of people infected recovers, covid IS deadlier then the flu yes, again the vast majority of infections are mild. And I wear my mask every time i go out, I wash my hands, and I social distance, but im not scared shitless of covid, Im doing all that to protect other people around me.

So if it isn't as bad as the worst plague of all time it's not worth being concerned about? 500k deaths inain half a year( the real number is far higher) with modern medicine and communication isn't a major concern?

Here's a good visualization showing how they all compare. For this to be relevant you need to look at the dates provided.

https://2oqz471sa19h3vbwa53m33yj-wp...2020/03/DeadliestPandemics-Infographic-71.jpg

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Did you miss the part where they would all be tested constantly?

You do know that tests aren’t immediate right? That here where I live doctors and nurses are tested constantly as well but that didn’t stop one doctor from infecting ~30 people just because he went to Quebec for one day.

You guys can all be in denial as much as you want, but the playoffs aren’t going to finish this year. Even a moment of critical thinking makes this obvious.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Even if they do, the players in the west are going to such a quiet (in the coronavirus sense) area. If someone breaks the bubble in Florida? Disaster! Covid is everywhere! If they do so in Edmonton? They're probably not going to come into contact with anyone else who HAS the illness, and even if they do... it's not likely to be transmitted unless they're spending a fair amount of time with each other and/or not practicing social distancing/proper hygiene.

I honestly think most players/staff (especially going to Edmonton) are going to be more safe doing this than continuing on with their non-work lives at home.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
As long as they're not allowed to leave the bubble and there are draconian penalties to the teams of players who do so.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Even if they do, the players in the west are going to such a quiet (in the coronavirus sense) area. If someone breaks the bubble in Florida? Disaster! Covid is everywhere! If they do so in Edmonton? They're probably not going to come into contact with anyone else who HAS the illness, and even if they do... it's not likely to be transmitted unless they're spending a fair amount of time with each other and/or not practicing social distancing/proper hygiene.

I honestly think most players/staff (especially going to Edmonton) are going to be more safe doing this than continuing on with their non-work lives at home.

No one has really answered my question though. What happens IF a player(S) gets infected? Do they shut down the league again for another 3-4 weeks while they recover, forcing everyone to stay in their bubble another month?

Or do they keep playing making these playoffs a joke?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
No one has really answered my question though. What happens IF a player(S) gets infected? Do they shut down the league again for another 3-4 weeks while they recover, forcing everyone to stay in their bubble another month?

Or do they keep playing making these playoffs a joke?

If a player or even a handful of players get a positive test result they don't play for at least 2 weeks. Anyone who was around them and tests negative, game on. The league already explained this, but I'm guessing you were too busy hyperventilating to notice.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If a player or even a handful of players get a positive test result they don't play for at least 2 weeks. Anyone who was around them and tests negative, game on. The league already explained this, but I'm guessing you were too busy hyperventilating to notice.

So it makes these playoffs a joke. Got it.

Imagine trying to justify your team deserved the cup if the other teams had 3-4 star players out with Covid :laugh:

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
So it makes these playoffs a joke. Got it.

Imagine trying to justify your team deserved the cup if the other teams had 3-4 star players out with Covid :laugh:

Players have sat out with illnesses before. Pretty sure those games counted.

As a blues fan, I hope for a full recovery to everyone who tested positive and also the well being of the people around them. Maybe this timing is a good thing.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Players have sat out with illnesses before. Pretty sure those games counted.

As a blues fan, I hope for a full recovery to everyone who tested positive and also the well being of the people around them. Maybe this timing is a good thing.

You’re going to say with a straight face that if lets say In the third round all of Tarasenko, Binnington, Petro, Parayko, O’Rielly are out with Covid for the entire round that you’d be fine with losing and consider it fair?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->