Proposal: Blues Blow Up

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Would be a solid idea if the Rangers were competitive but Tarasenko will be nearing the end of his deal when they're doing that again, and probably looking for a raise.

I think we'll just stick with Kreider for cheaper.

Plus, the Rangers have a history of not getting 100% return on borrowed talent, for whatever reason, outside of Messier and Gaborik.

What our GM has said signals a culture change for the NYR. We're going to start attempting to develop our own core talent and look to the market for depth, as opposed to the other way around.

My idea was that they are known for being in on Panarin, who is Tarasenko's great friend. You trade for Tarasenko, and you not only liken your chances at getting Panarin but if you DO get both, you have one of the best first lines in the entire NHL.

You keep Hayes, but you move on from Zuccarello at the trade deadline for draft picks.

Then you throw in an expendable top 10 pick this year, you find someone to take the corpse of Marc Staal and you're cooking with fire.

You also have Kravtsov who should be ready to jump into the NHL, and you want to convince Shesterkin to come over if you're the Rangers with Hank nearing the end of his career. What better way than to bring two big name Russian players so that they feel right at home!

Would in theory still have monstrous cap space to run at Erik Karlsson, maybe reunite him with Methot; and have one of the deadliest offensive groups in the NHL. Rangers obviously don't want to be a perpetually rebuilding team with Hank in his final years, and if you can use the bright lights of New York City to bring in big free agents why the hell not swing for the stars.

And then the obvious other side of it, the Blues do this because it gets them a young cheap defenseman with tons of potential to grow, a young top 6C and an (obviously much worse) acceptable replacement for some of the other depth they lose in the proposals.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Leafs have no need in Schenn. We'd take Maroon though.

Can't bring myself to work Patty into any trade; nor would the Blues. He is a hometown guy who took a discount to play close to home, moving him would be the douchiest thing the organization could do and I just don't see them doing that to him.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
My idea was that they are known for being in on Panarin, who is Tarasenko's great friend. You trade for Tarasenko, and you not only liken your chances at getting Panarin but if you DO get both, you have one of the best first lines in the entire NHL.

You keep Hayes, but you move on from Zuccarello at the trade deadline for draft picks.

Then you throw in an expendable top 10 pick this year, you find someone to take the corpse of Marc Staal and you're cooking with fire.

You also have Kravtsov who should be ready to jump into the NHL, and you want to convince Shesterkin to come over if you're the Rangers with Hank nearing the end of his career. What better way than to bring two big name Russian players so that they feel right at home!

Would in theory still have monstrous cap space to run at Erik Karlsson, maybe reunite him with Methot; and have one of the deadliest offensive groups in the NHL. Rangers obviously don't want to be a perpetually rebuilding team with Hank in his final years, and if you can use the bright lights of New York City to bring in big free agents why the hell not swing for the stars.

And then the obvious other side of it, the Blues do this because it gets them a young cheap defenseman with tons of potential to grow, a young top 6C and an (obviously much worse) acceptable replacement for some of the other depth they lose in the proposals.
Interesting proposal, I think that Tarasenko-Panarin in N.Y. is a thing. I don't see why Barbashev is needed. Andersson and Kreider are C and LW respectively, positions we are deep at. If Tarasenko is leaving, we would need a RW coming back. Preferably a RH shot. SO ...my counter proposal ... Tarasenko to NYR for Skjei, Jesper Fast and a 2019 1st.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

And then we're going with Hayes/Zibanejad down the middle and heading right back to the second round exits we're trying to get away from.

Not to mention still the worst defense in the league.

The Rangers DO want to be a rebuilding team. They asked Hank to waive his NMC and he didn't. He made his bed. The "bright lights" approach has gotten them 1 Cup in almost 80 years.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
unless someone makes a low level proposal, like a middle 6er for a 2nd round pick, you get a slew of these snarky ****ing replies and its really obnoxious. These proposals are for FUN, no one here has any say on what really goes on in NHL trades.
The OP has the Leafs giving up a possible 3 1sts...Kapanen...Johnsson....Liljegren. There is nothing fun about that.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I wonder if St.Louis would be down for a trade built around this;

Nylander (6x6.9)
2019 1st

For

Pietro (handshake deal - 7x7)

I doubt AP would sign for 7 mil but that's the only way it makes sense for TO.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Nylander (6x6.9)
2019 1st

For

If there is a deal in place for Petro, then the price is higher than that. Also, the AAV on the contract for him is too low. He is an $8M+ player.

Reactions: Snowman

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If there is a deal in place for Petro, then the price is higher than that. Also, the AAV on the contract for him is too low. He is an $8M+ player.
Depends on what the Blues want, really. I doubt you could get a single player as good as Nylander back in a trade from most teams. You could likely get more overall value but it would look more like the EK or McD trades.
Typically you have to pick between high-end talent or depth as returns. Not both.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Depends on what the Blues want, really. I doubt you could get a single player as good as Nylander back in a trade from most teams. You could likely get more overall value but it would look more like the EK or McD trades.
Typically you have to pick between high-end talent or depth as returns. Not both.
If you have a deal in place for Petro, the the Ek and McD trades are not comparables.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Interesting proposals, I appreciate the thought gone into making them. For the Blues proposal, how about we take out Johnsson and Schenn, the 2021 conditional, and make the 2020 conditional. So ... Kapanen, Liljegren and 2019 1st, 2020 cond, for Pietrangelo.

I think it’s close but the Leafs would need two things:

An extension for Pietrangelo
Some more salary going back.

There definitely seems like a fit of needs. Top RHD and assists for a retooling team.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
Please send Parayko into the loving arms of the oilers. Can I interest you in futures and cap dumps?
How about Cam Talbot, 2019 1st, Puljujarvi, Bear/Jones, and Matt “I get better with age like a fine wine” Benning?

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
Kapanen is most likely getting shipped out at some point; the current rumor being to Carolina for Pesce; who is nowhere close to the player that Pietrangelo is.

Kapanen has also scored 20 goals in 87 NHL games; and is on pace for 30 currently because of his deployment in Nylander's absence. If he hits 30 you won't be able to afford him.

Liljegren hasn't played a minute in the NHL, how can you actually sit there and say he will be a #1 defender. Sure, the kid looks great and has potential, but you're sippin on some fine kool-aid if you think that he's a lock to be a #1 guy.
Hes definitely not a number 1. Likely top 4 but not number 1

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
To Rangers: Tarasenko, Barbashev, 2020 2nd

To STL: Skjei, Andersson, Kreider

-----

To Toronto: Pietrangelo, Schenn (50% retained)

To STL: Kapanen, Liljegren, Johnsson, 2019 1st, 2020 1st, conditional 2021 1st (if Leafs make Stanley Cup Finals in either 2019 or 2020, the Blues get the 2021 pick)

-----

To Carolina: Steen, Perron, and Allen

To STL: Darling, Faulk , Pesce

Guaranteeing a top 4 draft pick this year, the blues could add potentially add Jack Hughes or Kappo Kakko to a U22 forward pool of Thomas, Kyrou, Kapanen, Fabbri, Kostin, Bokk, and Andersson.

They would still have Schwartz, ROR and Bozak

Their right side would consist of Parayko/Pesce/Faulk until Lilly was ready to replace Faulk.

Their left side would consist of Edmundson, Skjei and Dunn.

At the end of this season, they could make offers to Simmonds, Duchene and Dzingel to round out their forward group

Mini-rebuild that ends up with them having a top end draft pick this year, and enough NHL ready kids and cap space to not be a bottom feeder next year.
Your plan is very well thought out if the Blues are going completely scorched earth and entering a rebuild as a bottom feeder for the next 3-4 years with the hope that some of these players/picks pan out. If they do that, I can't see them selling it to the fans because interest will drop, especially if the Cardinals start playing better again. That could spell the death of hockey in St. Louis.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Why does he bolt?

Because he’ll likely want upwards of 6-7 million a year. The team can’t afford that

Marner 8-9 maybe more
Matthews 11
Tavares 11
Nylander 6.9

You add Pieto in there plus Rielly will be up in a few years and it’s a severe problem

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes don’t want any one of Steen, Perron, or Allen. They certainly aren’t giving up Pesce + Faulk for spare parts.

Canes don’t move two top-4 D for two ~40 point wingers and a bad goalie.

Reactions: SteveR85 and TK 421

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Nylander (6x6.9)
2019 1st

For

Petro likely gets 8.5+ tho. I would think he would want to hit UFA too if the Blues aren't going anywhere. Just like Tavares did. Petro has a UFA probably gets 9.5+. We're looking at a cap of 83M next year and most likely 86-87M the year after with Seattle coming in. That means roughly 11% of the cap at 9.5.
In comparaison Weber signed for 7.8 when the cap was 70 which is also roughly 11%, but you also have Doughty at 11M starting next year...

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Because he’ll likely want upwards of 6-7 million a year. The team can’t affors that

Marner 8-9 maybe more
Matthews 11
Tavares 11
Nylander 6.9

You add Pieto in there plus Rielly will be up in a few years and it’s a severe problem
You're right, but I don't see a trade where Nylander would still be on the Leafs payroll. I could see it if the Leafs find a way to ship Marleau+Zaitsev elsewhere. Otherwise, it would be dumb cap management.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Canes don’t want any one of Steen, Perron, or Allen. They certainly aren’t giving up Pesce + Faulk for spare parts.

Canes don’t move two top-4 D for two ~40 point wingers and a bad goalie.

Agreed, I can't imagine those particular pieces from the Blues do anything for Canes fans. I'd chalk this one up to a poster just simply not valuing the Canes pieces well.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Because he’ll likely want upwards of 6-7 million a year. The team can’t affors that

Marner 8-9 maybe more
Matthews 11
Tavares 11
Nylander 6.9

I understand the cap situation. You just made it sound like he was going to bolt because he didn’t want to be in Toronto. Bolt probably isn’t the best word.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
An OP that contributes to the site and brings up good discussion, unlike your worthless post.

Except for the part where they give Buffalo a really good pick either this year or next. Darling doesnt fix their goaltending situation. They dont need a mini rebuild, they need a better goalie

Too much retained in the Toronto trade and lots for Toronto to give up, structurally doesnt make sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad