OT: Blues @ 2018-19 season

Where this team goes next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
We went to the Conference Finals with a forward group of

Schwartz-Lehterä-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer
Steen-Backes-Berglund
Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves

How is that ANY better than what we have now?

Schenn >> Backes
Perron > Brouwer
Thomas > Lehterä
Stastny <= Bozak
Uh because other teams in the division are much better than they were then and we are now.

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
We went to the Conference Finals with a forward group of

Schwartz-Lehterä-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer
Steen-Backes-Berglund
Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves

How is that ANY better than what we have now?

Schenn >> Backes
Perron > Brouwer
Thomas > Lehterä
Stastny <= Bozak

I'm sorry, what?

Schenn >= Backes but this could easily change if Schenn were to regress
Thomas ? Lehtera Lehtera could produce next to Tarasenko. We don't know anything about how Thomas will be in the NHL.
Stastny >>Bozak I don't see how you could possibly think Bozak is close to Stastny as a player, and I like Bozak. Stastny is better in every zone of the ice.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
What’s the difference between Dallas/Chicago that year vs Nashville/Winnipeg now? WPG lost Stastny, and Nashville hasn’t done anything to improve today either.
blues dont beat dallas if they had a healthy seguin.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
What’s the difference between Dallas/Chicago that year vs Nashville/Winnipeg now? WPG lost Stastny, and Nashville hasn’t done anything to improve today either.
Nashville is still better whether they added this offseason or not, losing Stastny does not put us on equal footing with Winnipeg, Colorado is coming and will probably be 3rd in the Central. Chicago still has a roster that can bounce back after a down year, Dallas is Dallas, they could be a playoff team or they could be back of the pack just depends on how their role players play all year. We have a team of middling 2nd/3rd line players, a goalie who lately runs more cold than hot lately, and a worse backup, and our D, Schenn, Tarasenko, Schwartz (who is unable to stay healthy a full season) and Fabbri (who with two bad knees will probably be a step or 2 slower and still undersized.) It's always been clear the Blues needed 2 good pieces to be a real contender, and for yet another year Armstrong doesn't come close to landing them. But at least he didn't let Buffalo fleece him again.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
God I hate how TSN, sportsnet are so biased towards Toronto...I know they are based there but Jesus it's supposed to be nationwide networks.

Anyways, if this team shits the bed by Christmas we should seriously look at dealing Petro, I do not want to see him walk like Tavares or a late first and scraps like what we got for Shatenkirk in 2 years.

Reactions: The Note in MI

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Nashville is still better whether they added this offseason or not, losing Stastny does not put us on equal footing with Winnipeg, Colorado is coming and will probably be 3rd in the Central. Chicago still has a roster that can bounce back after a down year, Dallas is Dallas, they could be a playoff team or they could be back of the pack just depends on how their role players play all year. We have a team of middling 2nd/3rd line players, a goalie who lately runs more cold than hot lately, and a worse backup, and our D, Schenn, Tarasenko, Schwartz (who is unable to stay healthy a full season) and Fabbri (who with two bad knees will probably be a step or 2 slower and still undersized.) It's always been clear the Blues needed 2 good pieces to be a real contender, and for yet another year Armstrong doesn't come close to landing them. But at least he didn't let Buffalo fleece him again.
So what 2 pieces do you go get? At what cost? You aren't getting ROR for magic beans. A realistic cost would probably be Dunn + Kyrou + 1st. Then what? Keep in mind that players have to WANT to come to STL. You can't force them here at gunpoint.

Reactions: Senko1291

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
So what 2 pieces do you go get? At what cost? You aren't getting ROR for magic beans. A realistic cost would probably be Dunn + Kyrou + 1st. Then what? Keep in mind that players have to WANT to come to STL. You can't force them here at gunpoint.

The price was a 1st, a 2nd, and a top prospect. Don't pretend like ROR would cost that much.

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
I see us as a bubble team because of how strong the West is, not to mention how strong the central is in its own right. Ultimately though I think it comes down to health and whether or not this team can form some chemistry, identity and a strong locker room.

What I would like to see opening night is:

Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Blais/Fabbri-Bozak-Tarasenko
Steen-Thomas-Berglund
Barbashev-Sobotka-Soshnikov
Thorburn

Edmunson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Bortuzzo
Schmaltz
Gunnarsson (ir)

Allen
Johnson

I don't see Fabbri being up to speed quite yet so him and Blais splitting time would make sense. The team seemed pretty high on Blais last year and even had him paired with Tarasenko before, if only he could stay healthy.

Everyone is very high on Kyrou and he is very skilled but I don't think he is NHL ready yet, he got knocked off the puck so easily at the WJC by guys younger than him... but maybe he will impress and get a look alongside Schenn.

I would like to see us try and ship off Sobotka but there may not be any buyers, in that case I see us holding on to him to split time with Barbashev as 4C. If only Kostin was further along, I'd love to see him get his feet wet with Soshnikov & Barbashev. I can already hear people moaning about young guys on the 4th line, blah blah blah, but the league has been moving away from traditional 4th lines to younger guys who can pot a few.

I don't think Thorburn has any place on this team but try telling that to the Blues. I haven't got a clue what happens with Thompson, Jaskin & Sanford. San Antonio may just be stacked.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I see us as a bubble team because of how strong the West is, not to mention how strong the central is in its own right. Ultimately though I think it comes down to health and whether or not this team can form some chemistry, identity and a strong locker room.

What I would like to see opening night is:

Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Blais/Fabbri-Bozak-Tarasenko
Steen-Thomas-Berglund
Barbashev-Sobotka-Soshnikov
Thorburn

Edmunson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Bortuzzo
Schmaltz
Gunnarsson (ir)

Allen
Johnson

I don't see Fabbri being up to speed quite yet so him and Blais splitting time would make sense. The team seemed pretty high on Blais last year and even had him paired with Tarasenko before, if only he could stay healthy.

Everyone is very high on Kyrou and he is very skilled but I don't think he is NHL ready yet, he got knocked off the puck so easily at the WJC by guys younger than him... but maybe he will impress and get a look alongside Schenn.

I would like to see us try and ship off Sobotka but there may not be any buyers, in that case I see us holding on to him to split time with Barbashev as 4C. If only Kostin was further along, I'd love to see him get his feet wet with Soshnikov & Barbashev. I can already hear people moaning about young guys on the 4th line, blah blah blah, but the league has been moving away from traditional 4th lines to younger guys who can pot a few.

I don't think Thorburn has any place on this team but try telling that to the Blues. I haven't got a clue what happens with Thompson, Jaskin & Sanford. San Antonio may just be stacked.
jaskin is gone. hes a bust anyways and no point in wasting a roster spot on him anymore

barmor19

Nov 22, 2017
Nothing matters other than the Sv% Allen is able to post. Therein lies the success of failure of the season.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Anywhere from winning the Central to 2nd wild card or missing the playoffs would not surprise me with this team.

All depends on how the kids play, health of the club, goaltending stability, and how the lines mesh together.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I'm wondering if Fabbri isn't ready to go Kyrou makes the team. Would add a lot of firepower to be able to run with

Schwartz -Schenn - Kyrou
Perron- Bozak - Tank
Steen - Thomas -Bergdawg
Barb- Boater - Sosh

If Fabbri is ready to go I think it would make sense to play Kyrou in SA to help learn play away from puck/defense. But I am hardly worried about those two being a huge problem if playing with Schenn and Schwartz.

I get that these signings weren't necessarily sexy. They were however fairly low risk while helping out powerplay immensely. The only thing I'm concerned about next year aside from goaltending is the penalty kill. Losing Brodziak could be a lot more deterring than it looks from the outside. Nonetheless we at least have options for different looks on the powerplay which is nice.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
jaskin is gone. hes a bust anyways and no point in wasting a roster spot on him anymore

He was fairly effective last year on the forcheck. I certainly wouldn't mind him coming back and being placed on a line with Barbie and Sosh. I feel like it's much more likely Jaskin is back as opposed to Sobotka coming back.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111

That was the price, no one bit.

Then why is he still a Sabre? Are there 30 GMs who are insane? That is bargain basement pricing. I believe the price was a lot higher than what he stated.

Go offer to Buffalo fans 1st + 2nd + Kyrou and watch their response.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'll hold my vote. Plenty of time between now and the start of the season.

We have some small upgrades than what we finished the season with and have to see how the kids and Fabbri plug into the lineup. I think we could at least be a Wild Card team next season. Let's see how the roster continues to shape up, I'm not a huge fan of DA but I don't think he's completely done on trying to find a trade partner yet.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Not a good sign when you have to go to the Asylum for positivity.
There's always a morale crash once the offseason hopes of what might have been meet the reality of what actually is, save for the very few times when those hopes are realized, but people always come to grips with it and the optimism will build once again as we get closer to camp. It happens every year.

This is a better roster than what we worked with last season, with fewer flaws. It's not reliant on kids, but there's some upside and there's room for a few youngsters if their growth demands a spot. The biggest question marks at this point are goaltending, and whether all the parts will actually come together like they theoretically could. Neither of those is a given, but neither is completely devoid of hope, either IMO.

Reactions: BadNewsBlues

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Then why is he still a Sabre? Are there 30 GMs who are insane? That is bargain basement pricing. I believe the price was a lot higher than what he stated.

Go offer to Buffalo fans 1st + 2nd + Kyrou and watch their response.
Quotes from Armstrong and Bergevin both make it sound like the asking price was significantly higher than that.

I believe them, because they both wanted to get something done and I don't think Armstrong would have balked if the crux of the asking price was Thompson/Kostin + 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->