Music: Bluegrass / Alt. Country / Old-time

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Wovenhand is... interesting. In that it's getting heavier and heavier by each release. Mosaic is very good, but you'd listen to Refractory Obdurate right after and you're swear it's two completely different bands.

Would you give me a recommendation for one 16 Horsepower and one Wovenhand album. Thank You.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Would you give me a recommendation for one 16 Horsepower and one Wovenhand album. Thank You.

16 Horsepower : Low Estate
Wovenhand : Tbh, the two best are Mosaic and Refractory Oburate. Again, COMPLETELY diffrent.

Reactions: plank

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I mean....
That's a Mosaic song :

And that's a Refractory Obdurate song (and not the heaviest one at all, even if it is certainly quite uptempo)

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Top albums of 2017

#8 John Mellencamp featuring Carlene Carter - Sad Clowns & Hillbillies

Thought the nine Johnny Cougar albums I have was enough, turns out I needed one more.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
#7 Steve Earle & The Dukes - So You Wannabe an Outlaw

pretty much the same comment I made about Mellencamp, but damn this a fine album. Probably top 5 in his discography, which says a lot.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
#5 Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile - Lotta Sea Lice

never really took to them individually but this collaboration works for me. Seven of the nine songs from the album are preformed in this video.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
#3 Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives - Way Out West

this album sounds like a soundtrack to a movie, if that movie was a psychedelic surf rockin' spaghetti western.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
#2 Son Volt - Notes of Blue

anything Jay Farrar puts out is an automatic buy for me and this version of Son Volt is especially good. Crunchy guitar rock songs like Back Against the Wall, Static, Cherokee St. and Sinking Down mixed with droning slow rollers like The Storm, Midnight and Cairo and Southern make this a valued addition to my collection.

Reactions: JackStraw

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
#1 Courtney Marie Andrews - Honest Life

when I first heard Ms. Andrews I was in the midst of discovering some of the great albums from female singer/songwriters of the 70's, so this scratched right where I itched. Since then I've read comparisons to Joni Mitchell, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris and others but I honestly think this album as a whole is better than anything I've heard from that era. In fact I like this so much that I had trouble selecting just two songs to represent this beautiful record.

Last edited:
Reactions: JackStraw

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Turnpike Troubadours made thier debut on Austin City Limits last night and it was live streamed. I missed the first part of it but it was a great show. Looking forward to when it airs on TV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->