Bluechippers

• Thread starter MontrealCruiser_83*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Skroob said:
No, our only one from that group would be Lundqvist. Staal and Tyutin could turn out well, #2 and #3 guys, but i dont see either of them as #1 anchors on a D-corps. Montoya i think too will be a solid NHL goalie, but not at the Level that Lundqvist will be.

Bluechips are players you look to build a team around. 3 out of 4 of those guys, which all should be very valuable assets to any team, arent guys you look to build for.

For now, we have one Bluechip. this time next year, Kessel/Frolov will be or second. ;)

Well I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you. I think based on potential alone Montoya, Staal and Tyutin have to be classified with Lundqvist as blue chip prospects. I mean this is all speculation right now anyway. Anything could and probably will happen, but these four guys have shown solid potential. Any GM 1.5 years into a rebuild and looking from the goal out would have to be smiling with these four guys in the pipeline. Lundy just has a lot more experience than the other three.

Montoya is an amazingly gifted athlete and with the right development, should compete for the top spot in a few years. As for Staal and Tyutin, they are so early in their development and have shown so much that you could say the sky is the limit. Right now I'd say Tyutin slots in as at least a number four d-man on most any team in the NHL...and he's only 22. Staal, well we all know what kind of camp he's had. This could be his last year in juniors. Two or three more years and twenty more pounds and who knows what kind of monster we'll have on our hands. Sure, Staal projects at 3 or 4 today, but could develope into a true franchise player.

On Kessel you could not be more right, he's a Blue Chip now, but he's soooo talented he slants the whole concept of what "Blue Chip" means in my mind. Players like Kessel and Crosby go beyond mere blue chip status to a whole 'nother level. They are potentially at a Gretzky level. They so far out shine the talent of players around them, they put great players into support roles.

Lastly,(and please exuse the long post)I'd love to have Kessel but I'm not holding my breath. Pittsburg will get him as you well know ;)

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Jay Thompson said:
For the Canucks? Not many at all, if any.

I would say at this point, the only bluechipper we have is Ryan Kesler, who looks like he is ready to be the #3 centreman this year.

In a year from now, or even half a year, it may be reasonable to add Cory Schneider and Luc Bourdon to the mix. But right now? Just Ryan Kesler.

Sorry but Kesler is not a blue chipper. A Blue Chipper is a player like Phaneuf or Lehtonen or Carter etc.... A prospect who has the ability to be a star player

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
shveik said:
As long as the definition of a blue chipper is "guaranteed to make the NHL", no goaltending prospect qualifies IMO.

Thats not the definetion, a blue chipper is a prospect who has the ability to be a first line player or a #1 dman etc

Transported Upstater

superroyain10 said:
Although I don't agree, most Shark fans will tell you Christian Ehrhoff. Some will also mention Doug Murray.

Milan Michalek is San Jose's only bluechip prospect. Setoguchi could be another one, but I'll need to take another look at him.

Marcel Goc, Matt Carle and Steve Bernier fall into their tier below. With a very strong year in the AHL, Bernier could regain his blue-chipper status. Marcel Goc lacks the offensive punch and flair to be an all-star, but he's still a very good prospect. Carle just needs to establish himself more.

With some more development, Greiss, Ehelechner, Churchill, Vernace, Hennessey, and/or Kaspar could see their respective stocks shoot up. I wouldn't be surprised if after 1-3 years one or more joins Carle and/or Bernier as a SJ blue-chip prospect.

On other teams, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Zherdev, Johnson, Phaneuf, Carter, Vanek, Parise, Semin, Pouliot, Lehtonen, Fleury are ones that jump to mind.

I lived a floor below Doug Murray and Steve Baby as a college freshman...

CofRed

Jul 28, 2005
Calgary:

Blue: Phaneuf

Tier 2: Nystrom, Chucko, Regehr, Krahn, Prust

Tier 3: Boyd, Pelech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad