• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I have no idea how to feel about Kakko.

Same way I've felt since 20 games in.

Let's hope he's a long play like Barkov. He was sold as a short play, inaccurately, because of his physical dominance in a nonphysical league.

Let's hope he improves his skating this offseason.

There's an NHL player in him. He just isn't there yet.

045NYR

Oct 1, 2008
If Teemu is the Finnish Flash, Kakko is the Finnish Flush
Thats not fair. Teemu was 22 in his rookie year I believe. I wonder how Kakko would be if he was left to marinate for 3-4 more years before making his debut

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Let's hope he's a long play like Barkov. He was sold as a short play, inaccurately, because of his physical dominance in a nonphysical league.

I don't think it's hurting his development, but this has been a disappointing season (and I was only hoping for 40-45 pts.) On the other hand, he has such a stupid amount of talent it seems like it's only a matter of time before it clicks. Been such a tease all year.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
What's really weird is, a typical NHL season starts with pond hockey, while turning into the clutch and grab, dead puck era hockey after the All-Star break. Then in the playoffs it's an open bloodbath in front of both nets and infractions everywhere.

Reactions: Maximus and bl02

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Hurts even more seeing this when you know the goal Georgiev gave up. He did not have a difficult night. If he has aspirations to be a #1 goalie in this league then that garbage just cannot happen. Otherwise he will always be a 1B Backup and unfortunately we were without our 1A future in Igor that could have been the difference.

I don't know if I'll take it that far but, man, that was a goal you just can't give up when your team is playing in front of you the way that it is against probably the best team in the league. Just a brutal goal.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I am not really worried. Or I am not worried at all -- if things go fairly well and there isn't any major unforeseen bumps along the way, like some bad injury, attitude issues or whatever. That risk is always a bit magnified with a kid with a lot of pressure on him.

A few major things from my perspective:
*I think that we already have a kid who is elite from a NHL perspective when it comes to handling and moving the puck in the attacking zone. I think that Kakko from day 1 has outperformed Buch on the PP, and that the reason for why we haven't used him there is because we don't want to overuse him before he is ready. That is not bad for an 18 y/o.

*He is good enough to develop well in the NHL. This is the big breaking point from my POV. When a young kid comes into the league and isn't quite ready its one thing, but what is really dangerous is when the same kid most of the time cannot play to his strengths, make skill moves, be creative with the puck, hold on to it and so forth. These years are extremely crucial in a kids development phase and when we have seen kids like Puljujärvi who more or less played only marginalized hockey for 2-3 years, it hurts them sooo much.

Like Kakko has made so many good moves during his young career. They haven't that often amounted to highlight goals. But if someone were to put together a highlight video of his "skill" it would definitely be way longer than most's.

-> Ultimately I just think that we have a kid who is 18 y/o and good already in many areas, and there is no reason to not expect him to keep developing.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Yeah, I'm not worried about Kakko at all. He's coming along, he's 19, and he's going to figure it out. It won't be this year but he'll be fine.

Zibanejad had 21 points in 50ish games as 18-19 year old. Perspective.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This was the BEST game of the season. So proud of the effort from each and everyone played last night! When people say that the Rangers needed to stay in the race for playoffs this is what being meant (or at least should). The YOUNGEST team in the league hang toe-to-toe with the reigning SC champs who are again one of 3-4 legitimate contenders this season. Think about just the natural attrition of the oldest players and how much room for improvement there still is from the guys already here (Kakko, Chytil, Buchnevich, Howden, Lemieux, Gauthier, ADA, Fox, Lindgren, goalies, etc) and those near like Kravtsov, Barron, etc

This team is closer than I thought just a few months ago.

P.S. How good was Howden last night?!!!

Reactions: tlk

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

Kakko is a kid that really just needs to grow into his body, as cliche as that sounds.

Kids his age and size almost never have the explosiveness that comes with years of NHL-level training.

In a less physical league, with inferior players and more time/space, it's going to matter much less. But the kid is in the NHL now, playing against the best trained, best conditioned men on the planet. Even low-skill NHL defenders are going to be on top of him in a way he hasn't experienced prior to this season. Couple that with playing more games than he ever has in a season, and you have a recipe for the season Kakko is having.

Still, you can see the tools. He's a bear on the puck when given the chance to isolate in a 1v1 battle. And while he'll never be a burner, his top-end speed is not bad. He just takes too long to get there. That can be fixed. All of his issues, truly, can be fixed. I'd have him stapled to Kreider in offseason training.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
They really deserved at least a point last night. Tomorrow night’s game seems like the true swing game if they are going to make a push for that last spot or not.

Reactions: bl02

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't know if I'll take it that far but, man, that was a goal you just can't give up when your team is playing in front of you the way that it is against probably the best team in the league. Just a brutal goal.
Yep. That is right. The team was playing one of their more solid games for the whole 60 minutes this season. They havent put together too many full 60 minute efforts and they did it against one of the strongest teams in the league. And that goal is a lack of focus, not ability. Georgiev not being prepared and focused on that play is extremely disappointing.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This team will be legit good once they get Shesterkin back. They’re already good. They’re kids need to season Kakko Gauthier Chytil Howden Kravtsov But once those guys become legit contributors to the veteran group watch out.

but I have no doubt with Shesterkin we are a good team. Georgiev is not a starting goalie He’s failed countless times to establish himself. and hank is barely a back up at this point. We can’t overcome that kind of loss. We’re a very good offensive team that with an elite goalie looks much better defensively.

there’s no way Shesterkin blinks in that game. Stl generated nothing. He might have had a shut out frankly

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Strome has directly led to this team missing out on points. I really dont want to bash any player on the team. I would much rather have praise for all of them. But the second you start costing your team points with stupidity, you go right on the chopping block. The Columbus game backcheck, the Philly game sunday which led to 3 goals against, and then last night.

Last night Georgiev is blamed for not getting 1 point. DeAngelo takes blame for his stupidity to force a pass through the middle of the ice right before Strome takes the penalty. But the penalty takes the cake. STL was not generating offense. The chart over the last page shower that. The Rangers had men back. Strome was chasing the player (I believe O’Reilly) and slashes at the hands. It was absolutely a penalty and it was unnecessary given where O’Reilly was on the ice, behind the net, and the teammates Strome had back with him. You put STL on the PP, and bad bounce or not, they scored. After that STL essentially goes back to their dormant offensive game.

Rangers are 4 points out of a playoff spot right now. There is your 4 points at minimum, if they get to OT against all 3 teams and win at least one of them.

Reactions: Kords

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Well thing is the teams were chasing keep losing so we are still hanging around.

I’d say Thursday is the real first must win at this point. You win that game and you should beat NJ and you get your 2 out of 3 you needed this week. And you move on to next week.

but I’d say this one Thursday is a must win. I don’t trust our goaltending though Georgie always plays his best in the second game of his 3 game stretches.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Well thing is the teams were chasing keep losing so we are still hanging around.

I’d say Thursday is the real first must win at this point. You win that game and you should beat NJ and you get your 2 out of 3 you needed this week. And you move on to next week.

but I’d say this one Thursday is a must win. I don’t trust our goaltending though Georgie always plays his best in the second game of his 3 game stretches.
Do we go Hank against Washington? I do not blame Philly on him. He wasnt great but he also has barely played. Then Georgiev against NJ?

Igor wont be back by next week so then the road trip comes down to Georgiev or Hank. Really a game by game thing

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Strome has directly led to this team missing out on points. I really dont want to bash any player on the team. I would much rather have praise for all of them. But the second you start costing your team points with stupidity, you go right on the chopping block. The Columbus game backcheck, the Philly game sunday which led to 3 goals against, and then last night.

Last night Georgiev is blamed for not getting 1 point. DeAngelo takes blame for his stupidity to force a pass through the middle of the ice right before Strome takes the penalty. But the penalty takes the cake. STL was not generating offense. The chart over the last page shower that. The Rangers had men back. Strome was chasing the player (I believe O’Reilly) and slashes at the hands. It was absolutely a penalty and it was unnecessary given where O’Reilly was on the ice, behind the net, and the teammates Strome had back with him. You put STL on the PP, and bad bounce or not, they scored. After that STL essentially goes back to their dormant offensive game.

Rangers are 4 points out of a playoff spot right now. There is your 4 points at minimum, if they get to OT against all 3 teams and win at least one of them.

The penalty wasnt good but he also set up Zibanajad with an empty net for our only goal. So take away his set up goal and penalty and you still have a 2-0 game, we gotta stop blaming one guy for not making playoffs. You can't win games with one goal. Our lack of depth is the problem, it won't be solved this year, we currently have 4 possible top 6 players and no top 4 left side dmen, and I like Lindgren but on a cup team he is a 5. It is what it is.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Do we go Hank against Washington? I do not blame Philly on him. He wasnt great but he also has barely played. Then Georgiev against NJ?

Igor wont be back by next week so then the road trip comes down to Georgiev or Hank. Really a game by game thing

I'd assume Georgiev

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

The teams around us have helped us ot big time. A lot of guys who arent scoring are gonna have to figure it out for us to get there imo.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

So stupidly biased and shortsighted. Do you realize essentially EVERY player’s mistake can be put spotlight on and conclude costing team’s points???! You picked a .5 PPG $3.1m player who found unexpected synergy with the team’s best player that made him reach new career highs and himself a PPG player.
There’s should be absolutely no finger pointing on anyone who played last night, especially not on a guy who had a bad prior game and who actually should be commended for cleaning it all up while competing against O’Reilly - one of the very best two-way centers in the game right now!!!

P.S. Conveniently forgotten was his primary assist on Zibanejad’s only team’s goal.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I am not really worried. Or I am not worried at all -- if things go fairly well and there isn't any major unforeseen bumps along the way, like some bad injury, attitude issues or whatever. That risk is always a bit magnified with a kid with a lot of pressure on him.

A few major things from my perspective:
*I think that we already have a kid who is elite from a NHL perspective when it comes to handling and moving the puck in the attacking zone. I think that Kakko from day 1 has outperformed Buch on the PP, and that the reason for why we haven't used him there is because we don't want to overuse him before he is ready. That is not bad for an 18 y/o.

*He is good enough to develop well in the NHL. This is the big breaking point from my POV. When a young kid comes into the league and isn't quite ready its one thing, but what is really dangerous is when the same kid most of the time cannot play to his strengths, make skill moves, be creative with the puck, hold on to it and so forth. These years are extremely crucial in a kids development phase and when we have seen kids like Puljujärvi who more or less played only marginalized hockey for 2-3 years, it hurts them sooo much.

Like Kakko has made so many good moves during his young career. They haven't that often amounted to highlight goals. But if someone were to put together a highlight video of his "skill" it would definitely be way longer than most's.

-> Ultimately I just think that we have a kid who is 18 y/o and good already in many areas, and there is no reason to not expect him to keep developing.
Outstanding post, @Ola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->