OT: Blue Jays/MLB 2019 season

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have a hard time believing all the players don’t know what time the game starts. Maybe one guy if he’s a screw up but the whole team? Come on, sounds like some scapegoating to me.
That and usually friends and family are watching or potentially coming. You mean to say not one wife didn't know either?

It's bad if he didn't know, but it's laughable that they are all that stupid to not actually know themselves. Unless these guys are locked up in a room with no contact with the outside world

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Could be like one of the Paul Coffey legendary stories where coach Glen Sather told the guys after a morning practice that there was a team meeting that night from 5 to 7.

Coffey showed up at 5 minutes to 7.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Brewers. Granderson seemed like such a likeable guy while he was with the Jays this year, it'd be nice to see him finally get a World Series to go along with all his other accomplishments. Plus Yelich is a fantastic player who's a lot of fun to watch play.

I'm cheering for the Brewers too, despite being a Cubs fan but I like seeing teams trying to win their first ever championship. Plus I can't stand the Dodgers, the Red Sox have had recent success and the Astros are defending champs.

The only part of me that doesn't want the Brewers to win is Ryan Braun. Even though his suspension for PED use was several years back, it's that he didn't own up to it and tried to BS his way through it. He will always be a cheater in my eyes and any credibility he has is in the sewer system. The same as A-Rod, McGuire, Sosa, Bonds, despite there being no testing or a lack of testing in that era, they're still cheaters and Mcguire's HR records should be wiped. Maris is still the HR king to me...hell, you could call Ruth the HR king as he hit 60 bombs in a 154 game season vs 162 when Maris did it. Sorry had to vent-lol.

Reactions: shoop

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'm cheering for the Brewers too, despite being a Cubs fan but I like seeing teams trying to win their first ever championship. Plus I can't stand the Dodgers, the Red Sox have had recent success and the Astros are defending champs.

Agreed for the most part. I don't have a big dislike for the Dodgers.

A Brewers-Astros series would be great. I would still be leaning towards the Brewers, but the Astros still have a pretty long record of futility.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Rogers wanted to sell as many tickets as they could before reality set in for the fans. By not acting when they should that got an extra year and a half of decent ticket sales. I’m not a big fan of Shapiro and Atkins but I still don’t think neither of those guys wasn’t smart enough to see the writing on the wall. They did what they were told.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rogers wanted to sell as many tickets as they could before reality set in for the fans. By not acting when they should that got an extra year and a half of decent ticket sales. I’m not a big fan of Shapiro and Atkins but I still don’t think neither of those guys wasn’t smart enough to see the writing on the wall. They did what they were told.
It's funny they got that year and half or whatever, but how long is it going to take now to rebuild? By taking longer to rebuild, does it not usually equal less fans in the seats?

Now by getting less for assets than you should've you are making the rebuild longer than it had to, which should at the end of the day equal them losing more money.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It's funny they got that year and half or whatever, but how long is it going to take now to rebuild? By taking longer to rebuild, does it not usually equal less fans in the seats?

Now by getting less for assets than you should've you are making the rebuild longer than it had to, which should at the end of the day equal them losing more money.
Took 23 years to get back to the post season after the second World Series win. I can’t remember a season during that time where they legitimately had a shot at the post season after July. Will it take that long again?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Took 23 years to get back to the post season after the second World Series win. I can’t remember a season during that time where they legitimately had a shot at the post season after July. Will it take that long again?
With Boston and New York in their division who knows.

Even in 15 and 16 when they made it. They weren't exactly that favoured to win other than Canadian media.

Other sad thing as you say 23 years and all they ended up with was 2 years of playoffs. Couldn't even remain competitive for all that long

This is one of the reasons I can't figure out why Baseball doesn't expand it's playoffs and shorten it's regular season. 10 out of 30 teams get in and it takes forever for teams to get in.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
With Boston and New York in their division who knows.

Even in 15 and 16 when they made it. They weren't exactly that favoured to win other than Canadian media.

Other sad thing as you say 23 years and all they ended up with was 2 years of playoffs. Couldn't even remain competitive for all that long

This is one of the reasons I can't figure out why Baseball doesn't expand it's playoffs and shorten it's regular season. 10 out of 30 teams get in and it takes forever for teams to get in.
At least they’ve been inching towards a longer post season. Not sure how old you are but it doesn’t seem like all that long ago to me that there were only four teams making the post season. I can remember teams winning 100 games and not making it. I think it was 1984 when the Tigers got off to that 30-5 start (something like that, can’t remember their exact record) and the season was over for the rest of the American League East by the middle of May. It sucked being a fan in those years.

It’s better now but not by much. As fun as that one game wildcard is, it sucks that you could win 100 games and lose in a one game playoff while an inferior team in an weak division gets to play in a series.

It is what it is though and I don’t expect it to change. I can’t see many owners being willing to shorten the regular season. That’s guaranteed money and playoff games aren’t.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At least they’ve been inching towards a longer post season. Not sure how old you are but it doesn’t seem like all that long ago to me that there were only four teams making the post season. I can remember teams winning 100 games and not making it. I think it was 1984 when the Tigers got off to that 30-5 start (something like that, can’t remember their exact record) and the season was over for the rest of the American League East by the middle of May. It sucked being a fan in those years.

It’s better now but not by much. As fun as that one game wildcard is, it sucks that you could win 100 games and lose in a one game playoff while an inferior team in an weak division gets to play in a series.

It is what it is though and I don’t expect it to change. I can’t see many owners being willing to shorten the regular season. That’s guaranteed money and playoff games aren’t.

Unfortunately for me I'm a Jays and A's fan. Jays have money, but can't get it to work for them. A's don't have money, but at least put up decent results all things considered.

I really think if my teams had an actual chance to win or at least make things interesting in the playoffs that I'd watch more. It's just weird of all the sports I play/played Baseball next to golf is the one I probably watch the least of. Heck in the regular season I barely pay attention to a full game. Even a disappointing Eskimo organization has me more intrigued about the team and league.

I just can't seem to get interested in something where like you say teams are damn good, but don't make playoffs. 100 wins that's would damn near be equivalent to the Oilers just barely sneaking into the playoffs in 16-17. Can't wrap my head around that

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As I don't really know the ins and outs of the MLB salary/injury situation. Would TOR not have been better just to keep Tulo and hope he's injured thus be paid by insurance?

Of is that not a thing in the MLB?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
As I don't really know the ins and outs of the MLB salary/injury situation. Would TOR not have been better just to keep Tulo and hope he's injured thus be paid by insurance?

Of is that not a thing in the MLB?
Maybe they’re hoping somebody signs him and takes a portion of his salary off their hands? I don’t know how it works either. Maybe they just don’t want him to be any kind of a distraction anymore. Last I heard from him he was saying he expected to be the starting shortstop this year. Maybe they’re as tired of hearing that as the fans are.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Maybe they’re hoping somebody signs him and takes a portion of his salary off their hands? I don’t know how it works either. Maybe they just don’t want him to be any kind of a distraction anymore. Last I heard from him he was saying he expected to be the starting shortstop this year. Maybe they’re as tired of hearing that as the fans are.

not sure if that is how it works--I think they are on line for all that money

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
based upon what I read on line--Blue Jays are have paid out the money and if he signs with anyone the jays do not save money
Thanks for clarifying. Wonder if it would have made more sense then to wait for spring training to see if he could play at all. If he could maybe they could have dealt him even if they had to pick up 90% of the tab. If not then it costs them what it did yesterday. I guess they either didn’t want the distraction or he still isn’t anywhere close to being healthy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for clarifying. Wonder if it would have made more sense then to wait for spring training to see if he could play at all. If he could maybe they could have dealt him even if they had to pick up 90% of the tab. If not then it costs them what it did yesterday. I guess they either didn’t want the distraction or he still isn’t anywhere close to being healthy.
From what I read they didn't want to wait and screw him over. They've been in talks with his agent for awhile and they all figured this would be the best.

While it's nice that they were nice to him, really doesn't seem that smart of a move

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
From what I read they didn't want to wait and screw him over. They've been in talks with his agent for awhile and they all figured this would be the best.

While it's nice that they were nice to him, really doesn't seem that smart of a move
Bleeding Oil makes a good point in that keeping him may have cost them a player in the rule 5 draft. That wouldn’t have made any sense for a rebuilding team. End of an era for certain now, sure was a fun two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->