OT: Blue Jays/MLB 2019 season

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Meh. Gibby was ok.

Makes sense the Jays didn't bring him back. Not surprised at all he'll end his managing career within a couple games of .500. Fitting for what he was as a manager.
He had a season and a half since he came back where he didn’t have a dog shit roster. I’m surprised his record is even close to .500. The new guy next year will be lucky not to lose 100 games with the roster Atkins is going to give him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Suspect officiating in the Cubs/Rockies wild card game. I’d hope this is the last game this crew does in these playoffs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
There were close calls through out the game that went the Cubs way. The worst was a play in extra innings where the Cubs had runners on first and second with one out. Contreras was at the plate. He fouled off a pitch and hurt his calf muscle. The Cubs were allowed to take a longer than usual amount of time to make sure he was okay. Madden and the trainer came out to check on him. When the game resumed, that should have been the end of it. He continued to struggle after each of the next few pitches and it looked like it was just a stall tactic because they didn’t want to pull him. While all this was going on, the Rockies pitcher was getting cold on the mound. Eventually, Contreras hit a sharp grounder to Arenado. Baez was running from second to third. Arenado went to tag him midway between second and third and Baez reached out and hugged him by wrapping both his arms around him. The hug (picture a bear hug) prevented Arenado from then throwing to first to complete the double play. The overhead replay showed a hobbled Contreras only about two thirds of the way down the line when the hug occurred. Arenado had plenty of time to make that throw to complete the double play. It was the most blatant interference I’ve ever seen and there’s no question Baez did it intentionally because Contreras was hurt and couldn’t run. It wasn’t called and the Cubs got another at bat with runners on first and second. Earlier, the Rockies catcher got called for catcher interference when his glove was too close to the hitter and was hit during the swing. It was accidental but it was interference so it was called. What Baez did was intentional and was let go, it could have cost the Rockies the game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Nice win by my Yanks last night, can finally exhale. Now, on to an epic series against the Red Sux.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What a bizarre strategy by the A’s to play a bullpen game in a must win wild card playoff.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Colorado is doing that for game one of their series. Tampa did it quite a few times this year, and with some success I might add. Screwed over the Yankees a couple times.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If I'm not mistaken, I think Colorado is doing that for game one of their series. Tampa did it quite a few times this year, and with some success I might add. Screwed over the Yankees a couple times.
I don’t see it as much of an issue for a game one or a regular season game as I see it for a one game elimination playoff. There’s still time to recover if you lose that first game on the road. I’d want someone reliable on the mound if I can help it if my season was on the line. Hendricks gave up two in the first inning and it was game over in a tight playoff game.

Oakland’s position was already locked up heading into the final weekend of the season. There was no reason not to have their rotation set up for that game. Colorado on the other hand was fighting for the division and had to play a tie breaker game. You can’t compare the two situations.

Oct 15, 2008
There were close calls through out the game that went the Cubs way. The worst was a play in extra innings where the Cubs had runners on first and second with one out. Contreras was at the plate. He fouled off a pitch and hurt his calf muscle. The Cubs were allowed to take a longer than usual amount of time to make sure he was okay. Madden and the trainer came out to check on him. When the game resumed, that should have been the end of it. He continued to struggle after each of the next few pitches and it looked like it was just a stall tactic because they didn’t want to pull him. While all this was going on, the Rockies pitcher was getting cold on the mound. Eventually, Contreras hit a sharp grounder to Arenado. Baez was running from second to third. Arenado went to tag him midway between second and third and Baez reached out and hugged him by wrapping both his arms around him. The hug (picture a bear hug) prevented Arenado from then throwing to first to complete the double play. The overhead replay showed a hobbled Contreras only about two thirds of the way down the line when the hug occurred. Arenado had plenty of time to make that throw to complete the double play. It was the most blatant interference I’ve ever seen and there’s no question Baez did it intentionally because Contreras was hurt and couldn’t run. It wasn’t called and the Cubs got another at bat with runners on first and second. Earlier, the Rockies catcher got called for catcher interference when his glove was too close to the hitter and was hit during the swing. It was accidental but it was interference so it was called. What Baez did was intentional and was let go, it could have cost the Rockies the game.

The hug was sketchy. I think that should have been interference also. I didn’t really have a problem with anything else.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Brewers. Granderson seemed like such a likeable guy while he was with the Jays this year, it'd be nice to see him finally get a World Series to go along with all his other accomplishments. Plus Yelich is a fantastic player who's a lot of fun to watch play.
I'm going with them as they are the underdog that didn't spend as much as others

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Brewers. Granderson seemed like such a likeable guy while he was with the Jays this year, it'd be nice to see him finally get a World Series to go along with all his other accomplishments. Plus Yelich is a fantastic player who's a lot of fun to watch play.
At this time of year it’s all about who you hate the least. No reason to hate the Brewers for me. I’ve got nothing against the Astros either so they’ll be my AL hopeful.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure how some people keep their jobs. Or, get them in the first place. But Aaron Boone should be fired.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not sure how some people keep their jobs. Or, get them in the first place. But Aaron Boone should be fired.

They should have never fired Girardi in the first place. The Yankees were an embarrassment in these two home games outside of 1 inning.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They should have never fired Girardi in the first place. The Yankees were an embarrassment in these two home games outside of 1 inning.
Exactly. Girardi had a lot less to work with last year (no Stanton, Andujar, Torres, Happ, or Voit last year), and still managed to guide the team to game 7 the AL finals. And his team was in every game it seemed. As you say, this years team was completely outplayed in 2 games. Girardi teams at least were never embarrassed.

Leaving Severino and Sabathia in too long, changed the complexion of both games, and possible cost the team one of the 2 games. Boone had a stacked relieving core to draw on, many of them capable of going multiple innings if the starter didn't look right, but by the time he used them, it was too late. I never thought Girardi got a fair shake, and I was never on board with the Boone hiring. Saying that, he'll probably get a raise and an extension.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I mean that's quite messed up, but at the same time how many people are involved in that game? Not one other person didn't know the correct time?
I have a hard time believing all the players don’t know what time the game starts. Maybe one guy if he’s a screw up but the whole team? Come on, sounds like some scapegoating to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad