OT: Blue Jays/MLB 2019 season

MikeYEG

Feb 7, 2019
Looking forward to it too, it'll probably be a tough year for the Jays, but it'll be nice to see some baseball plus NHL playoffs :)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Opening day! Looking forward to the season getting going even though I have low expectations.

Still tickets available for the home opener... who starts the season @1:30PM on a weekday?
It’s pretty common for opening day games to be afternoon games in MLB. Most of the games today are being played in the afternoon.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
It’s crazy how much money the Jays are paying other teams this season for guys like Tulo, Morales, and Martin. At the same time, I’m really excited the young guys are going to get an opportunity.

Hopefully a few of McKinney, Drury, Alford, Jansen, Hernandez, and Gurriel bust out so they can be core players along with studs in Bichette and Guerrero Jr.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It’s crazy how much money the Jays are paying other teams this season for guys like Tulo, Morales, and Martin. At the same time, I’m really excited the young guys are going to get an opportunity.

Hopefully a few of McKinney, Drury, Alford, Jansen, Hernandez, and Gurriel bust out so they can be core players along with studs in Bichette and Guerrero Jr.
I haven’t bothered looking at their roster to see what their payroll actually is but the first thing I thought when they traded Morales last night and said they were retaining $10 million is that they may actually be paying more for players who aren’t there than they are for their starting lineup today.

I’m not criticizing what they’re doing because we all knew it had to happen at some point. What I think it does show is why GM’s have been so reluctant to hand out term the last three off seasons. So much wasted money that could be better spent.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Bauer has a no hitter going against the Jays through 7. He's given up 6 walks so it's not a perfect game but a no hitter this late in the game is still impressive.

I hope he gets it.

Edit: Francona yanked him after a lengthy bottom half of the 7th.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Bauer has a no hitter going against the Jays through 7. He's given up 6 walks so it's not a perfect game but a no hitter this late in the game is still impressive.

I hope he gets it.

Edit: Francona yanked him after a lengthy bottom half of the 7th.
Not the first time this year the Jays have been no hit through 6. With this lineup, I’m more surprised when it doesn’t happen.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Not the first time this year the Jays have been no hit through 6. With this lineup, I’m more surprised when it doesn’t happen.

Is it just me or have there been a lot of pitchers flirting with no hitters around the league this season.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Some bad news tonight, David Ortiz (Big Papi) was shot in the back at an amusement park in the Dominican during a robbery. The bullet exited out through his stomach but he is expected to survive. Apparently he is currently in surgery.

Edit: Initial reports were it was an amusement park but sounds like it was a pub setting. Then people held down the suspect and beat the piss out of him until the police arrived. They have to wait until he recovers in hospital enough for them to question him.

Last edited:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
There is a fair bit to be excited about. It is unfortunate they did not start this rebuild sooner, as they could have got prospects for Stroman/Sanchez that would have had a few years in the minors by the time they are a playoff team again.

Instead they kind of let the high of the playoff runs delay them about 18 months longer than they should have.

But they have quite a few good options in the infield for prospects and starting to now load up on arms.

And also likely a top 5 pick this year to add another elite level prospect in what is supposed to be a very deep draft with lots of high end talent at the top.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
There is a fair bit to be excited about. It is unfortunate they did not start this rebuild sooner, as they could have got prospects for Stroman/Sanchez that would have had a few years in the minors by the time they are a playoff team again.

Instead they kind of let the high of the playoff runs delay them about 18 months longer than they should have.

But they have quite a few good options in the infield for prospects and starting to now load up on arms.

And also likely a top 5 pick this year to add another elite level prospect in what is supposed to be a very deep draft with lots of high end talent at the top.
Wish they’d started the rebuild when Encarnacion left and said as much then. I think they screwed up their future badly then as they wasted the returns of a lot of players they ended getting little for. Oh well, tired of talking about that.

I do think they have a decent amount of good young prospects but they’re all position players and don’t have much for pitching. We’ll see how that plays out in the next few years.

Reactions: Beerfish

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Wish they’d started the rebuild when Encarnacion left and said as much then. I think they screwed up their future badly then as they wasted the returns of a lot of players they ended getting little for. Oh well, tired of talking about that.

I do think they have a decent amount of good young prospects but they’re all position players and don’t have much for pitching. We’ll see how that plays out in the next few years.
They’ve got some solid pitching prospects with Pearson, Pardinho, Kloffenstein and Manoah now, plus Borucki is still very young and he looked solid last year. They should be able to pick up a couple more good options in return for Stroman, Sanchez and Giles as well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yankees add Encarnacion my god.

Once everyone's healthy their starting lineup is going to look like this:

1) LeMahieu
2) Judge
3) Stanton
4) Sanchez
5) Voit
6) Gardner
7) Encarnacion
8) Gregorius
9) Torres

Bench: Andujar, Hicks, Frazier, Urshela, Bird, Tulowitzki.

I don't know if a lineup can get any more power or depth. There are more 20+ home run hitters than starting lineup spots lmao.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Jays season is playing out as expected. However, I’m not sure I really see much light on the horizon yet. After Stroman and Sanchez leave, they will have next to nothing for starting pitching and very little in the system I feel confident in.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Jays season is playing out as expected. However, I’m not sure I really see much light on the horizon yet. After Stroman and Sanchez leave, they will have next to nothing for starting pitching and very little in the system I feel confident in.
It’s the lack of starters for the foreseeable future that makes me question if they can even move Stroman and or Sanchez. They still need someone to pitch.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Yankees add Encarnacion my god.

Once everyone's healthy their starting lineup is going to look like this:

1) LeMahieu
2) Judge
3) Stanton
4) Sanchez
5) Voit
6) Gardner
7) Encarnacion
8) Gregorius
9) Torres

Bench: Andujar, Hicks, Frazier, Urshela, Bird, Tulowitzki.

I don't know if a lineup can get any more power or depth. There are more 20+ home run hitters than starting lineup spots lmao.

Edwin only has 21 homers this season. I'm waiting for them to get another pitcher or another heavy hitter soon. They may be ready to buy another Championship team.

The salary cap in the mlb is awesome.

A few other top teams will add depth as well eventually.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I really wonder how different the season might’ve gone if they hadn’t lost Shoemaker, Borucki and Buchholz to injuries. There still would have been some struggles for sure, but that’s three solid starters that have barely pitched at all this year. Guys like Jackson and Richard are a significant step down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad