OT: Blue Jays/MLB 2019 season

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The Vladdy thing is something you ignore and hope people forget about.

Deciding to comment and blatantly lying about it makes me wonder if they even have a PR department.

He just won Minor League Player of the Year. You don't have a single 3B on the roster. It's a business decision to not bring him up. It's the right decision, but it's 100% a business decision.

Reactions: Yeah15

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, reports I've seen are that Vladdy could still use some polishing on the defensive side of the ball, but I doubt he has anything to learn that he can't learn getting reps in the show.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
It's about delaying his arb rights for a year. Calling up Vlad now would be like the Oilers recalling Yamamoto for a couple meaningless games at the end of last year and burning a year of his ELC. He won't play the first month of next year either because of this too.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The Vladdy thing is something you ignore and hope people forget about.

Deciding to comment and blatantly lying about it makes me wonder if they even have a PR department.

He just won Minor League Player of the Year. You don't have a single 3B on the roster. It's a business decision to not bring him up. It's the right decision, but it's 100% a business decision.

while I slightly agree--the jays team on the field is a mess and do you really want to toss a 19 year old kid into the deep end?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Of course the Jays have a PR department. I get hyperbole and all, but it isn't really that big a thing.

Everyone knows in advance how this was going to play out.

It's one of those required questions the media has to ask to show they are "doing their job".

The Jays couldn't answer honestly. Everybody knew that. That there is controversy of any kind honestly shows how over used the word controversy is.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Of course the Jays have a PR department. I get hyperbole and all, but it isn't really that big a thing.

Everyone knows in advance how this was going to play out.

It's one of those required questions the media has to ask to show they are "doing their job".

The Jays couldn't answer honestly. Everybody knew that. That there is controversy of any kind honestly shows how over used the word controversy is.

It would have been pretty easy for them to just say they want him to work on his defense and they already have a bunch of young infielders they want to see at the major league level, but coming out and saying "it has nothing to do with business" is just blatantly lying and throwing gasoline on the fire.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It would have been pretty easy for them to just say they want him to work on his defense and they already have a bunch of young infielders they want to see at the major league level, but coming out and saying "it has nothing to do with business" is just blatantly lying and throwing gasoline on the fire.

The part in bold is just as 'blatantly' lying as saying it had nothing to do with business.

Don't really get why you object to one lie while suggesting another lie. There is no real fire.

I don't see any difference.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Can we just agree that it’s hard to believe anything Shapiro says?

Seems like this situation is an indictment on all GMs in MLB, to the extent its a problem at all.

Is there one GM in the bigs who would have admitted they didn't call up their best prospect in order to delay free agency eligibility by a year?

I think that's a pretty fair question to ask in this situation.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The part in bold is just as 'blatantly' lying as saying it had nothing to do with business.

Don't really get why you object to one lie while suggesting another lie. There is no real fire.

I don't see any difference.

That isn't a lie though. They do want him to work on defense and they do have a bunch of young infielders that just came up.

That's just PR 101. Sidestep the question you don't want to answer and give a non-answer that's close enough to answering it. Let people speculate. You don't just blatantly lie about it and then double down on that lie.

And they've got the MLBPA issuing statements on it. There's a real fire. A fire that could have been avoided.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
That isn't a lie though. They do want him to work on defense and they do have a bunch of young infielders that just came up.

Such a very flexible definition of a 'lie'.

At the end of the day Vlad Jr. needing to work on his defence isn't why the Jays didn't call him up and everybody knows that.

Every team calls up young players at this time of year when they are out of the playoff race.

It's not like the media wouldn't have asked the question about burning a year of service even if that flexibly true excuse had been given.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

That's just PR 101. Sidestep the question you don't want to answer and give a non-answer that's close enough to answering it. Let people speculate. You don't just blatantly lie about it and then double down on that lie.

And they've got the MLBPA issuing statements on it. There's a real fire. A fire that could have been avoided.

for me there has already been a large turnover this season on the blue jays--they more or less know what they have with Vladdy Jr-- for me adding him at this point in time would be more of a PR move then anything--let him start next year when him and the team have a clean slate

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I just find it kind of interesting that the PA just now decided to make a stink about teams manipulating service time. I don't recall hearing a peep about it in the spring when the Braves sent their top prospect(and #2 ranked league wide) Ronald Acuna Jr to the minors even though he was one of if not their best player in Spring Training.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
for me there has already been a large turnover this season on the blue jays--they more or less know what they have with Vladdy Jr-- for me adding him at this point in time would be more of a PR move then anything--let him start next year when him and the team have a clean slate

A clean slate and that extra year before he can become a free agent. :D

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I questioned this when he got hurt. There were some reporting he wouldn't be traded anymore either due to not being healthy.

As for Vladdy, maybe the Jays are spinning it. However, they've been saying all along how they are taking the long path to the MLB and letting him over mature. If it was a big issue maybe something should've been said when the reports a month ago were that he wasn't going to play in the Majors this year.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I questioned this when he got hurt. There were some reporting he wouldn't be traded anymore either due to not being healthy.

As for Vladdy, maybe the Jays are spinning it. However, they've been saying all along how they are taking the long path to the MLB and letting him over mature. If it was a big issue maybe something should've been said when the reports a month ago were that he wasn't going to play in the Majors this year.

People were talking about this situation back in during spring training with Vlad. Personally I have no problem with the long game for him. We have seen what happens when you rush teenagers as Oilers fan. The last thing we need to do is rush Vlad and end up becomeing the next San Diego Padres.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
TORONTO — The assault case against former star Blue Jays pitcher Roberto Osunaended on Tuesday when the prosecution withdrew the charge against him in exchange for a one-year agreement he stay away from the mother of his child and continue counselling.
Speaking in Ontario court, prosecutor Catherine Mullaly said the complainant, Alejandra Roman Cota, had made it clear she would not return to Toronto to testify against Osuna.

https://www.tsn.ca/assault-charge-withdrawn-against-osuna-1.1180500

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
TORONTO — The assault case against former star Blue Jays pitcher Roberto Osunaended on Tuesday when the prosecution withdrew the charge against him in exchange for a one-year agreement he stay away from the mother of his child and continue counselling.
Speaking in Ontario court, prosecutor Catherine Mullaly said the complainant, Alejandra Roman Cota, had made it clear she would not return to Toronto to testify against Osuna.

https://www.tsn.ca/assault-charge-withdrawn-against-osuna-1.1180500
How was this going to end any differently?

What a mess. Player gets traded and the fans are never going to find out what happened. I’d have bet money, back in May, that this is exactly how it was going to play out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How was this going to end any differently?

What a mess. Player gets traded and the fans are never going to find out what happened. I’d have bet money, back in May, that this is exactly how it was going to play out.
Hence why I said there is no reason for teams to trade players in these situations. Why should Houston get a guy for pennies on the dollars while the Jays lose a core piece for a lot less than they would've under normal circumstances

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lol Sabathia migth've cost himself 500k for a retaliation pitch that got him tossed. 2 innings shy of the mark he needed to hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad