Blue Jays Discussion: It's the off-season. Stuff might happen. Or it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Considering this is literally the exact opposite of everything everyone in baseball has said about Shapiro over the last 20+ years... I'll go ahead and call bullshit on your "good source".

So in Moneyball they talk about this kind of a relationship. Beane wanted his manager to essentially be a pretty face who executed the strategic decisions made by the analysts. It appears that this is exactly the case with Montoya as well, and I guess I'm fine seeing how this experiment plays out - but we still need the manager to have some autonomy over the process to be able to react on the fly. Like last night when Shoemaker was dealing, we need our manager to be able to adjust the gameplan and leave him in there longer than what the analysts plan called for.

Bullpen arms and pitching in general can be really volatile - on any given night a guy might just not have it. So our analysts can plan a perfect pitching progression based on aggregate pitching data, but the spreadsheets cannot show you how a guy will look on any particular day. That's where we need the manager to step in.

Also, Stroman has officially turned into Kanye West.

Reactions: Mach85

Forgotusername

May 17, 2016
tenor.gif

Are we sacrificing a live chicken or a bucket of KFC?

Reactions: Anthrax442

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Wow Minny lost. 2-0. Is that 18 straight playoff losses now? And swept 6 straight times.

Reactions: kb

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Lmfao @ people thinking the #8 team was gonna beat the #1 and then getting mad about this postseason. Like wake up and get back to reality.

Reactions: canucksfan

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Lmfao @ people thinking the #8 team was gonna beat the #1 and then getting mad about this postseason. Like wake up and get back to reality.
A lot are mad because they were only 1 win from being seeded 5th and could be playing Cleveland.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Considering this is literally the exact opposite of everything everyone in baseball has said about Shapiro over the last 20+ years... I'll go ahead and call bullshit on your "good source".

just passing along what I have been told. Believe what you want. After hearing what I have and watching the day to day decisions made by Montoya ...I believe it.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Better suited here

Overall a great season. The series wasn't good but some of the kids took huge steps, and there is a still a lot more growing to do. There are clear needs that need to be filled, but the direction is positive. One of the best prospect pools in baseball and a clear core that should be good for years. Future is bright.

With that being said, Fire Montoyo.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Better suited here

Overall a great season. The series wasn't good but some of the kids took huge steps, and there is a still a lot more growing to do. There are clear needs that need to be filled, but the direction is positive. One of the best prospect pools in baseball and a clear core that should be good for years. Future is bright.

That should be the thread subtitle.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
So what should we expect next years lineup to look like? Who are some of our FA's that we will not be bringing back? Who are some of the UFA's out there that would make sense for our team?

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Better suited here

Also Fire Steve Simmons. literally asks Bo " what is it like to get your butt kicked?" "you played terrible, how does that feel?" brother

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This whole thing of starters not going deep will not work over a 162 games. You can not have only 1 start going 7 IP in 60 games. 1 start! That's awful.

The ironic thing is that that one start actually might have caused the pitcher to have dead arm in a pivotal playoff game because he hadn’t been stretched out that way all season long. :cry:

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Is it safe to assume big Nate will be our 4th or 5th starting pitcher next season?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Better suited here

Agreed on all counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad