Rumor: Blue Jackets willing to retain salary in cap dumps (Hartnell, Tyutin, Boll, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Hartnell has Dean Lombardi written all over it. (Unfortunately)
Replaces Lucic. (Sort of)

How much would or should I say could the jackets retain?

Probably will need to change the team name to the LA Seniors, cuz by the time all these long term deals end, the players will need assisted living.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What would it take to get Hartnell to Washington at 50% retained? If the intent of the Blue Jackets is to clear cap space, I assume they'll want minimal salary coming back. The Caps already gave away all our 2nd round picks until the end of time. So perhaps something around Riley Barber?

If the Jackets are willing to take Daniel Winnik ($2.25M cap hit) back, they could retain less than 50% on Hartnell (say retain only $1.5M) and it could work for the Capitals.

If we're retaining, it's less "minimal salary" and more "ZERO salary".

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I honestly think Tyutin is the most untradeable asset in the NHL because he has a NMC, and no way a team wants to waste a spot on protecting him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
How did this happen in a small market?

Umberger turned into Hartnell (actually a win)

Horton happened

Dubinsky and Foligno extended (fine in isolation)

Saad fell in his lap. (actually a win)

Bad deals for useless guys like Boll and Campbell - these were panned on these boards the day those deals were signed.

The Jackets are still dealing with the deals Howson left in Tyutin and Umberger. The Dubinsky and Foligno contracts wouldn't be bad by themselves. Those are the two best possession players on the team, and I expect Foligno to rebound. But after Saad was signed it leaves the team top heavy.

Oh, and if you didn't know, Horton happened.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
If the Rangers end up trading Nash and clear some space, would Columbus be interested in Girardi for Hartnell and Tyutin? Neither team would retain anything. Columbus would save 3.75 mil in cap space and the Rangers would add cap, but reduce term.

I would really hope not.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Would Jackets fans be ok with this? Hartnell @ 4M to Calgary for Tyler Wotherspoon. Gives CBJ a young Defenseman that is ready to play in the NHL right now, and gives Calgary a nice power forward to complement Bennett.

Wotherspoon makes 925K, so this would clear over 3M for CBJ

We don't need players back. We have tons of prospects who are ready. That is part of the reason we are trying to trade some older players.

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
Hartnell has Dean Lombardi written all over it. (Unfortunately)
Replaces Lucic. (Sort of)

How much would or should I say could the jackets retain?

Probably will need to change the team name to the LA Seniors, cuz by the time all these long term deals end, the players will need assisted living.

i could see this happening...and if the jackets retain salary it will be a slam dunk. I'd to it if they hold 50 %

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Half?

If I told you a big 34 yr old who scored 110 pts in the last two years was now UFA, how much would you expect him to get on the market for a 3 year deal?

But he's not a UFA, he's property of a team desperate for cap space. You are mistaken if you don't think that will have an impact.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Hartnell at 3M to Ottawa would work, assuming he waives his NMC completely, or changes it to an NTC, before moving over.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Hartnell at 3M to Ottawa would work, assuming he waives his NMC completely, or changes it to an NTC, before moving over.

yeah I think his nmc is a turn off for alot of teams due to requiring protection / expansion draft.

otoh , I'd think anyone trading for him would want to keep him for at least 2 seasons out of the 3 remaining

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
If Montreal can't sign Ladd for example, I would trade Desharnais for Hartnell (with salary retained)

The entire point of retaining salary is so Columbus doesn't have to take a contract back. Why would they take a contract back and retain salary?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is Tyutin still any good? There's no interest if we have to honour that NMC though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->