Blue Jackets & The Media

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
A new season is upon us!! Part of the fun following our favorite team is talking about the people who cover the Blue Jackets.

How many times did Jeff Rimer mis-identify a player?? (aka..the Rimer Drinking Game). Are we mad at Aaron Portzline or grateful for his coverage?? It's a new month and the Dispatch Editor gets to spin the big Twister Wheel in the Sports Department to see who covers the Blue Jackets for the next couple weeks. What dumb assignment have they given to Billy Davidge this time? Did they have any cool guests on between periods or say anything really noteworthy on CBJ in 30?? You get the idea.

There you have it.....a place to chat about any media types covering our team.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

Sabo0290

Lost along the wing
Aug 28, 2015
Dayton
I mute the TV when I watch the Jackets. Sad but true.
I would, but I enjoy Jody too much to let Rimer ruin it for me. I just hope they re-run that same car dealership commercial over and over and over and over again this season. "EVERYTHING I TOLD YOU WAS TRUE!" -Jeff Rimer

Reactions: CPTN71

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Are we mad at Aaron Portzline or grateful for his coverage??
A little of both from me. I am grateful that I have content to read that is at least coherent and up-to-date *cough LWOS cough* but I think he sees this Bob and Bread story as huge for him and is capitalizing on it by perpetuating the drama of it.

Example from his most recent piece:
Don’t doubt for a second that the players are talking about it just as much as the fans and media.
This is just a load of crap designed to scare people. Now, is it a concern for the players? Sure, but does anyone really think that the players are texting each other about this as much as we the fans are posting here about it? And the media talks about it a lot, because a juicy story is good for business. The CBJ locker room isn't a tea party where they all sit around and gossip.

Here's what Josh Anderson had to say when asked about it:
“Hopefully those two are going to be here for the whole year,” Blue Jackets forward Josh Anderson said. “Jarmo will figure it out, what’s best for the team. But for right now, those two are going to help us win a championship. That’s how I look at it.”
That's as far as the players are thinking. These are their teammates, and until they aren't, nothing changes. Porty is just feeding the cycle and frankly I'm getting tired of it.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I mute the TV when I watch the Jackets. Sad but true.

Do you listen to Bobby Mac on the radio instead? I couldn't imagine nothing but silence, LOL!

I would, but I enjoy Jody too much to let Rimer ruin it for me. I just hope they re-run that same car dealership commercial over and over and over and over again this season. "EVERYTHING I TOLD YOU WAS TRUE!" -Jeff Rimer

Same, Jody is what keeps me from muting it and turning on the radio instead.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Do you listen to Bobby Mac on the radio instead? I couldn't imagine nothing but silence, LOL!

Same, Jody is what keeps me from muting it and turning on the radio instead.

I’m with spin, I mute the TV for all sporting events - I can’t take the chatter and I have no trouble following the games. I turn on music.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Do you listen to Bobby Mac on the radio instead? I couldn't imagine nothing but silence, LOL!.

I usually have music on, I don't need the broadcast to know what's going on. And since I usually follow on HF, anything important like an injury will be talked about here.

Reactions: pete goegan

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We do joke about it, but Rimer is legit terrible.

For somebody who's been around/watched the game for so long, he seems to miss A LOT of things.

Its a toss up between Rimer and Doc Emrick in regards to who's worse to listen to.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I put the away broadcast on about 2/3rd of the time. Rimer is less annoying in moderation. I'm beyond sick of the FSO production and the squealy guitar music. And with the away broadcast you get good context and learn a lot about other teams. Unless it's the Pens - it's not just the issue that they're homers. Jack Edwards is a great homer because he's passionate for his team, he doesn't turn every stick tap into a heinous foul and vice versa.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

For somebody who's been around/watched the game for so long, he seems to miss A LOT of things.

Its a toss up between Rimer and Doc Emrick in regards to who's worse to listen to.

Emrick is way worse to me, his screechy timbre is too hard on the ears. It's a shame because otherwise I don't think I'd mind his lexicon.

Reactions: cslebn

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I put the away broadcast on about 2/3rd of the time. Rimer is less annoying in moderation. I'm beyond sick of the FSO production and the squealy guitar music. And with the away broadcast you get good context and learn a lot about other teams. Unless it's the Pens - it's not just the issue that they're homers. Jack Edwards is a great homer because he's passionate for his team, he doesn't turn every stick tap into a heinous foul and vice versa.

100%. I was gonna add more to my complaint but didn't want to 'pile on'. While he is a huge part of it, Rimer is definitely not the ONLY part of the FSO CBJ broadcasts that are subpar. The amount of pointless replays they show of the most mundane of plays is 1 of the most annoying to me. They probably aren't the worst crew, but definitely right there in a smaller group of the worst, that are all pretty comparable for different reasons. The only reason I "like" the CBJ broadcast is for the Jacket related news or interviews that you wouldn't get from the other side. Many of the broadcasts you "learn" more about both the teams than you can "learn" about the CBJ during a "Rimer" broadcast. Not to mention when he downplays (or literally doesn't see/realize) an impactful or nearly impactful thing that occurred on the ice while at the same time overexaggerate and yell 10 seconds later on a nothing play.

Emrick is way worse to me, his screechy timbre is too hard on the ears. It's a shame because otherwise I don't think I'd mind his lexicon.

Again, agree 100%. Maybe 90%. For you, 89.774659675%.

I'm not really a huge fan of Rimer's "voice" either, but I literally HATE listening to Emrick speak. Just his pure voice, along with his "jumps" of high and lows with his voice, and what I'd consider definite "theatrics", makes me wish for Jack Edwards when Lucic was still in Boston. And as an avid Prout fan, that says A LOT.

Other than his voice though, its Emrick > Rimer. His actual play by play and "knowledge"/insight he adds to the broadcast is vastly superior to Rimer.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My favorite American play-callers are Brendan Burke, Sam Rosen, and Jack Edwards.

I'll admit a preference for Canadian broadcasters - Cuthbert, Cole, Hughson, etc... I think it's probably just because their voices/accents sound like hockey to me, which is purely by association.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Portzline is great, one of the best in the league.

Rimer was in fine form. I had the volume on at the end of the game where he said, 'Time for 4 on 4 overtime!. I mean 3 on 3. It's been a while".

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015

Y'all might joke about it. Not me. He is awful. How he keeps his job is beyond me. I had the DRW feed last night, so I was spared his nonsense.

WashedUp

Mar 28, 2014
First game of the season and bitching already! How about be glad we have an NHL team to watch? So they make mistakes, so what! They're human! No broadcast team, beat writer or color guy is going to please everyone, especially in this day and age of whiny millennials!
I'll just enjoy the games and be glad I'm not a hockey fan in Quebec, Atlanta or Houston!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
US Senators and sports announcers have a consistent tendency to stay on the job well beyond their useful shelf lives. Rimer's shelf life expired before I ever heard him (7 or so years ago). It's hard to believe that he's only 63. The pasture has been calling his name for a long time.

Mcelligot and his forced 'tag lines' are brutal to listen to as well. Seems to be trying to imitate others and never developed his own style. He's like listening to a very well polished AHL lifer radio announcer.

I don't mind Shelley. A shameless homer, but that goes with the territory.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Where have you gone Gary Thorne and Bill Clement? Jackets nation turns its hurting ears to you.

They were my all time favorites.

I don't mind Rimer. He makes a lot of goofs but hey he's our goof. Jody will only get better. I like his player's perspective. I love Doc & Edzo.

I watch the Lightning from time to time and Brian Engblom (sans mullet now btw) is still very good. For the newbies he was another who got away - purportedly because his wife didn't like Columbus.

213 Sentinel

Jul 2, 2006
Marysville, Ohio
Where have you gone Gary Thorne and Bill Clement? Jackets nation turns its hurting ears to you.

They were my all time favorites.

I don't mind Rimer. He makes a lot of goofs but hey he's our goof. Jody will only get better. I like his player's perspective. I love Doc & Edzo.

I watch the Lightning from time to time and Brian Engblom (sans mullet now btw) is still very good. For the newbies he was another who got away - purportedly because his wife didn't like Columbus.
Gary Thorne's voice could bring drama to someone icing a cake. He subbed for a Phillies game once and I happened to catch it. Damn, is he good. I'll always think of that voice when I think of watching playoff hockey in the 80s and 90s.

Reactions: Halfboard

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
I thought Gary Thorne was the PBP voice of the Baltimore Orioles. Not certain, but I'm with y'all. I would line up at the GoFundMe trough to get him calling the CBJ after baseball season. He could leave in April to go back and we could get "Guest Voices" just like Nashville does for the Anthem.

For my $$$, I would love to get the voice of the Canucks, John Shorthouse.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad