GDT: Blue Jackets @ Blackhawks 7:30 PM (CT) NBCSCH - Artemi Panarin Appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No thanks on Dzingel

Pending UFA who will cost too much in trade and is too big a risk to be lost to FA

Hawks aren't in position to sacrifice future for a guy like Dzingel

Who said trade for him? We are talking about signing him as a FA hence why I used “summer” in my first sentence. I think we all agree we shouldn’t be buyers.

Last edited:

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
My prediction, Panarin signs with us for 8/84M and thus matching Kaner's & Toews CAP of 10.5M per year.

Having 3 forwards take up 37.5% of the cap (assuming it's up to 84 mil next year) seems like a recipe for disaster.

I think people see the amount of cap space we have and assume it's time to go crazy. Let's not forget that, at best, 12 mil is going to Cat/Strome after next year (probably more like 15-16). Let's not just go and throw away basically all of our cap space now and then be in cap hell once Strome/Cat/Joki/Boqvist/ect need new contracts. We already have almost 7mil in dead cap space due to the Seabrook contract, we can't afford to be throwing around money like it's nothing.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Having 3 forwards take up 37.5% of the cap (assuming it's up to 84 mil next year) seems like a recipe for disaster.

I think people see the amount of cap space we have and assume it's time to go crazy. Let's not forget that, at best, 12 mil is going to Cat/Strome after next year (probably more like 15-16). Let's not just go and throw away basically all of our cap space now and then be in cap hell once Strome/Cat/Joki/Boqvist/ect need new contracts. We already have almost 7mil in dead cap space due to the Seabrook contract, we can't afford to be throwing around money like it's nothing.

15-16M combined for Cat and Strome is a little ridiculous. Strome hasn’t proven anything to warrant anything but a bridge deal. Cat doesn’t get anything over 7. He’s not the guy that stirs the drink in Chicago.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I dont think he will want to play in a market with the second lowest attendance in the league.

I don't think he cares about attendance, since attendance doesn't have any impact on his paycheque.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
15-16M combined for Cat and Strome is a little ridiculous. Strome hasn’t proven anything to warrant anything but a bridge deal. Cat doesn’t get anything over 7. He’s not the guy that stirs the drink in Chicago.

Regardless, even best case scenario of 12, our top 6 would be 50 mil (including Saad) if we signed Panarin at 10.5. That's not a healthy cap at all. If you really wanna nitpick and be like "cat at 6 and strome at 4" (which I think is really low) it's still a 48 mil top 6, which is absurd.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Boggles my mind that you can argue the third goal was murphys fault. He made a routine pinch that he makes probably more than 5 times per game. He was just going to bang it back around the boards and it hopped over his stick and gave atkinson and panarin a 2on1. The worst possible 2 guys it could have gone to. Shitty luck.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Regardless, even best case scenario of 12, our top 6 would be 50 mil (including Saad) if we signed Panarin at 10.5. That's not a healthy cap at all. If you really wanna nitpick and be like "cat at 6 and strome at 4" (which I think is really low) it's still a 48 mil top 6, which is absurd.

With Crawford coming off the books next year and Saad and Anisimov the year after its doable. The fact we won’t be putting a lot of money into the defense anytime soon also makes it much easier. If you can add a top 6 PPG forward you do it no matter what.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Given they're less than one year apart in age, I can't see why the Blackhawks would back up the Brinks truck for Panarin instead of Karlsson.

Yes, the Blackhawks have a lot of D prospects coming up. Aside from the hope/possibility of Boqvist becoming THE guy, they don't have anybody with #1D potential. Hell, I'm not sure they have anybody with top-pair potential outside Boqvist.

So pay Karlsson whatever he wants, package some of the dmen in the system that are NHL ready for help at forward if you feel it necessary.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Given they're less than one year apart in age, I can't see why the Blackhawks would back up the Brinks truck for Panarin instead of Karlsson.

Yes, the Blackhawks have a lot of D prospects coming up. Aside from the hope/possibility of Boqvist becoming THE guy, they don't have anybody with #1D potential. Hell, I'm not sure they have anybody with top-pair potential outside Boqvist.

So pay Karlsson whatever he wants, package some of the dmen in the system that are NHL ready for help at forward if you feel it necessary.

Mitchell has #1 potential.

I love EK65 but his ankle scares me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin Musto

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

The reason everyone wants to sign Panarin is because it’s realistic. Karlsson has no ties to us so I don’t think it’s as easy as signing Panarin. Panarin has come out with about 4-5 teams he will go to. With Karlsson who knows how many teams are on his list.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The reason everyone wants to sign Panarin is because it’s realistic. Karlsson has no ties to us so I don’t think it’s as easy as signing Panarin. Panarin has come out with about 4-5 teams he will go to. With Karlsson who knows how many teams are on his list.

We'll see, but I think people are vastly overestimating how much Kane and Panarin making bambi eyes at each other actually means when it comes times to put pen to paper.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
We'll see, but I think people are vastly overestimating how much Kane and Panarin making bambi eyes at each other actually means when it comes times to put pen to paper.

It’s not about the Bambi eyes. It’s the report he wants to play in a big market. I’d rather have Karlsson too but what makes him come here?

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I think we could sign him at 9.5. The dude goes back to Russia and drives beat cars and tractors in the off season for fun.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If people were saying he’d sign here for a few million under market rate I’d agree, but they aren’t.
I think we could sign him at 9.5. The dude goes back to Russia and drives beat cars and tractors in the off season for fun.

Well, now people are suggesting he’d sign in Chicago under market rate.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015

Yep. To get the biggest bang for buck in return, Stan needs to hold out with any expensive free agent signings and look to fleece a cap strapped team in the offseason. That is what the Thrashers did to the Hawks back in 2010 landing both Ladd and Byfuglien (in their primes) alongside roleplayers Sopel, Ben Eager for draft picks and garbage cheapo players. Couple years later Carolina did same by agreeing to eat Bickell's deal on the premise the Blackhawks include young up and coming forward Teuvo Teravainen.

Reactions: Idionym

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I thought his ceiling was closer to Jokiharju’s than Boqvist’s. What type of #1 defenseman does he have the potential to become?
Defense prospect rankings probably look something like this:

Boqvist > Mitchell > Beaudin = Jokiharju > Krys > Carlsson = Galvas > everyone else

Mitchell definitely has more upside than Jokiharju. As BK said, Keith is the style comp. Mitchell himself has said he models his game after Keith.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
If I remember correctly out of camp. The opinion of most was that beaudin had the best gap control out of the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->