Half-Assed GDT: blu vs bee

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
And my point is that the fire Yeo hysteria is a little over the top at this point, it's an unholy marriage of the short attention span crowd and the armchair coach/general/QB "experts".

I have a tough time believing that Yeo's strategy (or any coach on any team) is such a drag on this team that firing him and replacing him with someone else (who is currently unemployed no less) will right the ship and make everything great. Can firing a coach give a team a kick in the butt? Sure, but it doesn't change the fundamental makeup of the roster. Either this team is close or it isn't, but more Ls doesn't do us any good either way.

Some is over the top but quite a lot is legitimate criticism imo. People vent their frustrations here because they know others here care as much as they do and we all express ourselves differently. Be careful with those broad brushstrokes your using, you've already questioned peoples loyalty without understanding that their loyalty to the Blue note supercedes any coach or player.

Yeo has alarming trends that seem to follow him around, I'm not sure what to tell you if you don't think that it could be his coaching that's the common denominator. I agree that we have no idea how a new coach would do but I'm confident that Yeo isn't the guy to do it and I don't see this as a personnel problem.

Reactions: Bendak

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
It's not just strategy. It's also leadership and temperament and communication. No roster is perfect, but this one has lots of talent and crappy record. I think it's naive to think changing coach is unlikely to help.
And how would any of us know how the room reacts to his temperament, leadership, communication, etc? These are intangible things to begin with, but you want to draw conclusions from flawed sources like post game pressers and the like.

As I said, a coaching change can be a kick in the butt for a underachieving team, but it doesn't change the 20 guys who are out there every night.

If we continue to struggle, my takeaway is that we have fundamental issues with our roster, not that it's all the coaches fault and we will turn on a dime when we get a new one.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
And how would any of us know how the room reacts to his temperament, leadership, communication, etc? These are intangible things to begin with, but you want to draw conclusions from flawed sources like post game pressers and the like.

As I said, a coaching change can be a kick in the butt for a underachieving team, but it doesn't change the 20 guys who are out there every night.

If we continue to struggle, my takeaway is that we have fundamental issues with our roster, not that it's all the coaches fault and we will turn on a dime when we get a new one.
Question isn't how any of us know. We don't. We are (educated?) guessing. We draw clues from his press conferences and what we see on the ice. We have fun debating it. My view is roster is generally strong (could of course be better) and coach is bigger issue. You disagree. But whether I am right or you are or what we know is merely fan fun- WE DON'T DECIDE WHETHER HE IS FIRED.

Question is what DA knows and how he perceives these issues. He is in much better position to judge whether Yeo has right temperament, leadership, communication to lead this team forward. He is around team, can judge their mood, talk to Yeo and assistants and support staff. He picked Yeo and I think wants to support him, but he very likely has serious concerns at this point. And my guess is that if we don't turn it around soon he is going to decide Yeo must go.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
This is just dumb at this point. Armstrong needs to send him back so Yeo doesn't completely destroy this kid's confidence. I don't get it. Sundqvist offers little to nothing offensively and is average defensively. The only explanation I've heard from any of the beat writers is it would be better to send Thomas down than have him play 7 minutes a night. My argument is he doesn't have to but he's choosing too. Thomas, Kyrou, and Barbashev could be trusted to play more minutes if the coach would show more confidence in them like he has struggling veterans. Armstrong built a pretty good team in the off season on paper. Yeo's roster management has been one of the problems. Hell, I'd have rather seen Blais back in than Sundqvist. You're also wasting any offensive plays you might get out of Kyrou by putting Sundqvist with him. I know the young guys haven't exactly caught fire, but neither has Schwartz, Tarasenko, Bozak, Maroon, Steen, etc. O'Reilly has really been the only consistent player. This is more of a rant because I'm tired of seeing young guys not put in positions to succeed but 4th line plugs or struggling veterans have twice the leash.

I would have to think this is a step toward Thomas going down to play the WJC and then OHL with maybe the Blues working to get him off Hamilton and to a team competing for the Memorial Cup, but I just don't think that was Armstrong's plan, and I can't believe that he's been in agreement with Yeo's usage of these rookies so far.

Overreact much?

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Man things are getting really tense around here lately, the Blues really need to either fire Yeo or string together a few convincing wins soon to bring back some levity to this board.
There were times this team was stringing together 50 wins a season and there was still an abundance of complaining lol

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Maroon is going to score his first as a Blue at some point in this homestand, calling it now. The Jackets are playing their backup tonight so I expect us to pepper him with 30-40 shots making him look like a vezina finalist in the process.

We really need a win tonight, the boys need to have a strong start here and come out flying.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
giphy.gif

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Rooting for injury on our own players is never acceptable to me. This fan base sounds more entitled than I ever remember it being.
I disagree with that word choice. What special privileges or treatment do you think this fan base is acting like it personally deserves? There's a vast difference between expecting a team that should objectively be doing well to actually do well, and expecting a team to do well regardless of how reasonable that expectation is because "I deserve it."

I don't think it's unreasonable to have high expectations for this team. It's certainly not an act of entitlement. I'm quite sure the organization has high expectations for itself. When those expectations aren't being met, you're going to see different reactions than you'll see when people have significantly lower expectations. That's just human nature. It's not specific to this fan base.

So yeah, there might be more bitterness, or resentment, or generalized angst, or gallows humor bleeding through than usual because expectations were fairly universally high, quite arguably higher than at any point in the recent past, and the Blues are off to their worst start since the 2005-06 season...a season that saw them finish dead last in the league.

The vast majority of people here aren't rooting for injuries, though, or for the team to do poorly. The vast majority here want exactly what you want...for this team to do well. I don't think it's necessary or productive to paint the fan base with such a broad, negative brush simply because there is a vocal minority that's saying some extreme things.

Just my two cents.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Well, I've got my bottle of Scotch ready. I'm ready for the first 40 mins, like our team has been over the past 8 games.

Then it's a coinflip, based on how the season has gone so far this year.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Some is over the top but quite a lot is legitimate criticism imo. People vent their frustrations here because they know others here care as much as they do and we all express ourselves differently. Be careful with those broad brushstrokes your using, you've already questioned peoples loyalty without understanding that their loyalty to the Blue note supercedes any coach or player.

Yeo has alarming trends that seem to follow him around, I'm not sure what to tell you if you don't think that it could be his coaching that's the common denominator. I agree that we have no idea how a new coach would do but I'm confident that Yeo isn't the guy to do it and I don't see this as a personnel problem.
I would just as easily say that loyalty to the Bluenote should supersede disdain for any coach or player. Perhaps loyalty wasnt the correct word, but cheering against a team so they can fire their coach is nonsensical. By that standard, since Joel Q left Blues fans would be cheering against the Blues more than for them, they literally hate all of them from they start for little to no sound reason.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Win tonight and we’ll be 3-3-3. Not the worst thing in the world considering we should have beat the Hawks twice, Anaheim, Montreal and Jets. Oh how different things would look if we didnt blow all those 3rd period leads.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Only one bottle?

It's a bottle of 12 year, doublewood aged scotch - Not Smirnoff vodka. One you drink with reckless abandon, the other you savour.

Though, if our recent play doesn't improve I will be switching up my drink of choice to watch games moving forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad