Half-Assed GDT: blu@leef

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
There was a time when everyone complained about dump and chase. It served us well tonight.

They weathered the storm early dumping it a lot through the first ten minutes of the first however, other than a little pressure around Toronto’s goal in the third didn’t notice them overly dumping it.

The transition looked a lot better tonight they were able to move cleanly through the netrual zone imho.

Reactions: Bendak

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Total team effort tonight. Hard to cut it down to a few players to call out, because essentially the whole team was on their game. Jake made a few good saves, but mostly we just didn't let anything through. They had 11 shots like 4 minutes into the 3rd. That's insane for a team with their offensive talent. Our defense played great, but our forwards were unbelievable on their defensive support. O'Reilly killed it, Schwartz, Barbs, Schenn, Steen, etc etc. Hustling, smothering, board-battling defense made this game completely one-sided. Most enjoyable game I've watched since the middle of last season.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Mike Yeos press conference. “ I think we just didn’t play with enough urgency tonight, we have too much individual play going on some guys just trying to be too cute with the puck”

Reporter:
“Mike you guys won 4-1 on the road”

Micheal:
“I mean yeah that’s certainly something to think about”

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Game thoughts:

Tarasenko- you finally played the game in a way that I knew you could. It was fun to watch you do your thing again.
ROR- the engine that never quits and you finally got the reward.
Schenn- your starting to hit that groove.
Schwartz- I love your work ethic, but things aren’t clicking yet.
Perron-the points just keep flowing and your dogged quest for the puck seems to be one of the main fuel cells.
Barbashev-your defensive play hasn’t gone unnoticed.
Sanford-nice rip tonight. You also have been playing pretty well since getting back to the NHL
Steen-that hustle seems to be back. Sip from the fountain of youth?
Bozak- you looked pretty shifty out there
Maroon- even you looked pretty good
Blais- good effort all night and some smart reads and passes.
Kyrou- keep making things happen and you will move back up the lineup.

Petro- you looked Norris worthy tonight. That PKing was some fine work
Bortuzzo- you had one of those solid games tonight and engage offensively. Nice
Dunn-that swagger is back and people are noticing
Schmaltz- you are a fine NHLer. You deserve to stay in the lineup
Parayko- using your two gifts suits you. Taking shots and shielding with your frame. Stick with it!
Edmundson-your a rock dude!

Allen-staying square and calm. Remember to keep playing this way. It works!

Yeo- thanks for benching JBo. Keep this in mind all season

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
They played better defence. So, why did Yeo wait so long to insist that they do this??? This should have happened at least 4 games ago. Maybe they can play this way to keep games close WHILE the new players get used to playing with their new teammates, in a transitional period. And after 20-30 games, they can break out, and play like a contender? I'm hoping so. But, I still have that gnawing doubt that comes from not liking the way Yeo coaches.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The thing about Sanford is you will never have to beg him to shoot it. He finds the soft areas of the ice and lets em rip. He’s got a terrific shot to boot, so he’s incredibly valuable, especially when you add his vision and forechecking. He’s a big body that can keep pucks in, and that’s exactly what we need.

When Sosh and Fabbs come back, I think Blais goes down. He’s been really good at drawing penalties, but beyond that I haven’t seen a whole lot to say he’s ready for a full-time gig above those guys and Sanford. The real question is what we do with Kyrou and Thomas. Fabbri has got to get into some games, and I think you have to see what Soshnikov can give us too. It’ll be interesting to see what happens, but I could see Kyrou in San Antonio and Thomas in Hamilton before Thanksgiving. It wouldn’t be ideal, but you can’t sit Fabbs if he’s healthy and it’ll come down to who’s better today with Kyrou and Soshnikov. Kyrou doesn’t have to clear waivers either.

Reactions: Blueston and Bendak

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Game thoughts:

Tarasenko- you finally played the game in a way that I knew you could. It was fun to watch you do your thing again.
ROR- the engine that never quits and you finally got the reward.
Schenn- your starting to hit that groove.
Schwartz- I love your work ethic, but things aren’t clicking yet.
Perron-the points just keep flowing and your dogged quest for the puck seems to be one of the main fuel cells.
Barbashev-your defensive play hasn’t gone unnoticed.
Sanford-nice rip tonight. You also have been playing pretty well since getting back to the NHL
Steen-that hustle seems to be back. Sip from the fountain of youth?
Bozak- you looked pretty shifty out there
Maroon- even you looked pretty good
Blais- good effort all night and some smart reads and passes.
Kyrou- keep making things happen and you will move back up the lineup.

Petro- you looked Norris worthy tonight. That PKing was some fine work
Bortuzzo- you had one of those solid games tonight and engage offensively. Nice
Dunn-that swagger is back and people are noticing
Schmaltz- you are a fine NHLer. You deserve to stay in the lineup
Parayko- using your two gifts suits you. Taking shots and shielding with your frame. Stick with it!
Edmundson-your a rock dude!

Allen-staying square and calm. Remember to keep playing this way. It works!

Yeo- thanks for benching JBo. Keep this in mind all season

Parayko - You need to go to the bathroom before games, and look in the mirror and convince yourself you are a bear not a bunny, like George Saint Pierre does when doubting himself. Even that homer Pang got frustrated for you not shooting the puck. Shoot the damn puck. If you believed in yourself the way others believe in you, you would be a superstar. Your timidity is in your head kid. Study psychology. Hire a sports coach. Hire this guy >

I'm dead f'n serious.

Yeo - You just extended your time in Saint Louis, congrats. I still think you belong in the minors.
Bouwmeester - This was your best game since the beginning of last season. You truly play your best hockey from the pressbox.
Schenn - Oh captain my captain. You have been leading by example all season. Screw the C, you don't need it.
Allen - Don't let this go to your head. Stay humble.
Steen - Order HGH online. You can afford it. Take 5 iu a day. It will be our little secret. You're welcome.
O'Reilly - once you get a consistent line, you are going to make this team a serious contender.
Petro - they don't love you. But I do. You're soft, but good enough to still be a great player, even without playing rough.
Dunn - You're an NHL 2020 star. If you put in the work. Speed, skill, tenacity. I appreciate you sir.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
They played better defence. So, why did Yeo wait so long to insist that they do this??? This should have happened at least 4 games ago. Maybe they can play this way to keep games close WHILE the new players get used to playing with their new teammates, in a transitional period. And after 20-30 games, they can break out, and play like a contender? I'm hoping so. But, I still have that gnawing doubt that comes from not liking the way Yeo coaches.
Yeo is incredibly slow to adjust. It's his super power.

Reactions: Blueston and Bendak

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'm surprised at Sanford's ice time.

The boxscore has him listed at ~12 minutes, but for the life of me I don't remember seeing him on the ice that much.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
The thing about Sanford is you will never have to beg him to shoot it. He finds the soft areas of the ice and lets em rip. He’s got a terrific shot to boot, so he’s incredibly valuable, especially when you add his vision and forechecking. He’s a big body that can keep pucks in, and that’s exactly what we need.

When Sosh and Fabbs come back, I think Blais goes down. He’s been really good at drawing penalties, but beyond that I haven’t seen a whole lot to say he’s ready for a full-time gig above those guys and Sanford. The real question is what we do with Kyrou and Thomas. Fabbri has got to get into some games, and I think you have to see what Soshnikov can give us too. It’ll be interesting to see what happens, but I could see Kyrou in San Antonio and Thomas in Hamilton before Thanksgiving. It wouldn’t be ideal, but you can’t sit Fabbs if he’s healthy and it’ll come down to who’s better today with Kyrou and Soshnikov. Kyrou doesn’t have to clear waivers either.

Crazy to think after all the hype after preseason that this might be a reality, a jbo or gunnerson trade seems a long shot at this point and you can’t lose Schmaltz or Soshnikov to wavers.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

This is really good read. I thought Sanford showed some nice skills when he first got here, just not strong enough. He reportedly added strength so hopefully he can stand up to NHL action.

Had exact same thought on Blais too.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
At one point in the game, sources said, Sanford turned to GM Doug Armstrong and screamed, "You (bleeping) need me. You can't win without me." Sanford left teammates and coaches largely speechless. He dominated the ice in every way. Zach's back.

Gotta love copypasta.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Did Tavares play tonight?

He was completely invisible. Seems like Babcock had so much focus on getting Kadri back to matchup role that it through off the rhythm of Taveras and Matthews. Not that I am complaining.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada

He was completely invisible. Seems like Babcock had so much focus on getting Kadri back to matchup role that it through off the rhythm of Taveras and Matthews. Not that I am complaining.
That's always been Tavares' game, though. Super hot for some bursts of time and then completely invisible for other bursts. It doesn't help that his skating is extremely suspect too.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016

Was really surprising that Babcock didn’t shorten the bench and run the Tavares and Matthews lines when down in the second and third by 3 goals.

I don’t remember him calling a timeout on the powerplay prior to the short handed goal either which is also surprising. Perhaps he wanted one goal before calling it but still need the first one before the second is even an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad