OT: Blow Me Down Dorian

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Glad to hear all of you are OK. Hopefully those who have lost power, won’t be out for too long. Thanks for the updates.
There are still thousands without power, mine came back early this afternoon but I have spoken with friends that are anticipating that it could be Tuesday or Wednesday before theirs is restored. Winds gusted as high as 145 km/hour in the province from 4:30 pm yesterday until 2-3 am this morning. We have a lot of trees here and plenty of rural roads connected to hundreds of small towns and villages so the damage is tough to get under control in a short period of time. As far as I know, there haven't been any reported deaths which is a good thing especially when we can look at the news reports of the total devastation that Dorian left behind in the Bahamas. I have witnessed and lived through so many of these types of storms and many of them never make the headlines especially from fall to spring and this was a big one but definitely not the biggest to have affected these parts, our good friend Sheed can certainly back that up. Cheers.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Maybe some or most lost their power. I hope not.

How are you all holding up?
Just got our power back, 2 hrs ago..........this was a severe wind storm, very very similar to Juan in 2003. Some damage around pictou county, but overall, doesn't look too bad.........we lost power for about 22 hrs.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Any reason why NS doesn’t know how to handle storms
Juan was the strongest storm to hit NS since the 19th century and it caused a ton of damage to old trees which hadn't faced high winds in decades. Power was out for days and over a week in some places because of so many fallen trees combined with the province in general being unprepared for a once in a century storm (which also wasn't expected to be as bad as it was until shortly before the storm). Dorian made landfall with wind speeds only about 10km/h slower than Juan, and the eye was forecast to (and did) pass directly over HRM.

As I'm sure you know NS Power is unreliable during even relatively mild weather, so people were rightly concerned that power would be out for an extended period. Just look at your first post, you laughed at people for stocking up before what would be "12 hours at the most" and 24 hours later around half a million people are without power.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just got our power back, 2 hrs ago..........this was a severe wind storm, very very similar to Juan in 2003. Some damage around pictou county, but overall, doesn't look too bad.........we lost power for about 22 hrs.

Happy to hear you got your power back.

How often does the power go down in NS? There must be a lot of food lost on account of it unless people invest in generators.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Happy to hear you got your power back.

How often does the power go down in NS? There must be a lot of food lost on account of it unless people invest in generators.

Difference between Juan and Dorian was Juan started in the middle of ocean and had a direct path to Halifax picking up intensity right before it hit land and Dorian went along the coast, maintained some intensity but was a more spread out storm. Dorian knocked down some trees but Juan got all the weak ones cause there was no storm like that before.

Some still don't have power but I got mine back last night. Usually, you can go a day or so without any food getting spoiled if you don't open the fridge too often. I had some coolers with ice for the stuff I didn't want to lose and throw out. Filled up the bath tub with water in case the water went too! Learned this years ago and you can still use the toilet which can be annoying if you don't have water for a few days.

Dorian was not as bad as it seems on social media. It's reasonable that there will be some things fall down on the power lines due to 150 km/hr winds. Where I live, power don't go out too often except for storms like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->