OT: Blow Me Down Dorian

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Last few minutes is the first time the winds have reminded me of Juan, hope this is the end of it.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
power was lost but regained for me. The crane was the one at Spring garden and South.
apparently 60% of NS power customers are without power.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I didnt see panic.

Look bruh, last time we were hit with a real hurricane most people were without power for almost a week, and every third tree was laying on the ground. So yeah , people get ready.

Edit: And as far as the chips, I bought 6 bags, I have three kids, guessing you have none. Lol.

Umm hey genius, the stores will be open on Sunday. No one needs 17 loaves of bread and 2 supersized packs of 100 candles....Nova Scotians are very bad at dealing with storms imo, especially snow storms. Place shuts down with just a little bit of snow....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ok wtf is a storm chip?

opiRIh9.jpg

Storm chips are a weird Atlantic Canadian phenomenon. If there’s a storm in the forecast you best stock up on potato chips. Those are your storm chips. There’s something about a snowstorm that makes a person snacky here. Being housebound means normal rules don’t apply. Treat yo’self.

Milk, eggs, bread… these are staples that we know will see us through any kind of inclement weather but when the forecast is threatening to isolate us in our houses for who knows how long a kind of last-meal mentality takes hold and we find ourselves standing in the chip aisle, shopping like a teenage boy who’s taken one too many hits from a bong.

It’s become such a phenomenon here in St. John’s that store shelves routinely empty out of everything from BBQ to ketchup to sour cream ‘n onion. The lightly salted being the last chip to find a forever home. Oddly enough, Doritos don’t seem to count as #stormchips. They’re always left behind. Are nachos even #stormchips? Is a hot dog a sandwich? Discuss.

http://www.suitcaseandheels.com/storm-chips/

Reactions: yianik

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
I’m a lucky one as I haven’t lost power at all. I have a couple small trees down in my yard nothing major. South shore where my parents live is bad. No power, phone lines got taken out and a few roads have washed out badly. Lots of floods. However it seems to be dying out now as the wind and rain has dropped off.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just saw a screenshot of readings from a buoy just outside of Port aux Basques, NL reporting a maximum wave height of 30.7 metres (100.7 feet). Yikes.. I wouldn't want to be on a ship facing down something like that coming directly at me.

We haven't had it too bad yet. We've had easterly wind gusts of over 100 km/h and a fair bit of rain but nothing too serious yet. The wind is suppose to shift to the southwest overnight so things might ramp up some then but hopefully not.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
We been hit hard here in Sou'Western Nova. Worst breeze i have seen since Ground hog storm '76. Many trees down, power been out since 2pm yesterday. Roof off local elementary school, etc....

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I have power but it was reported this morning that 80% of the province did not. Quite a few road closures. It will likely be a few days before everyone is back up and running.
It is a beautiful sunny day now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Glad to hear all of you are OK. Hopefully those who have lost power, won’t be out for too long. Thanks for the updates.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I'm good. Shocked to not have lost power.

Took a drive around part of Halifax and the number of trees and branches down was a small fraction compared to Juan.

Too bad though that a high number of the trees that did go down , landed on a car or mostly on houses. I had 2 trees hit my home during Juan and they make for quite a bang.

Any Tim's franchise with power has a constant 50 car and walk in line up. I wanted a breakfast sandwich lol, but not that much.

The power outages is crazy, but I think we made out pretty well.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Umm hey genius, the stores will be open on Sunday. No one needs 17 loaves of bread and 2 supersized packs of 100 candles....Nova Scotians are very bad at dealing with storms imo, especially snow storms. Place shuts down with just a little bit of snow....

Just stop with this nonsense. Ive seen Montreal in chaos with 5 cm of snow. People in every place over react. NS certainly doesnt shut down with a little bit of snow.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Um hey genius, last time there was a hurricane here the stores definitely weren't open the next day.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Just stop with this nonsense. Ive seen Montreal in chaos with 5 cm of snow. People in every place over react. NS certainly doesnt shut down with a little bit of snow.
Nothing shuts down quicker than NS

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Nothing shuts down quicker than NS
As someone who has lived in NS for 3 years and MTL for 20+ , I’m probably the one in the best position to compare the 2 when it comes to dealing with storms here, so just trust me on this one...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->