OT: Blow Me Down Dorian

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
From my short experience living in the Maritimes, the power grids are awful, lol. Generators are a must.

Pretty sure half the ppl from Norteastern NB bought a generator during the ice storm. Some guy from quebec came down to Bathurst with a trailer with a bunch of generators in it. They were at a good price considering it was during a crisis. He could have really take advantage of it. Smart guy!

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The path projections between the two storms are eerily similar with both making direct landfall over the HRM. Winds are getting bad now, can't imagine what it will be like later

Early after Juan I drove downtown to pick up some work and actually made it. On the way back, I heard this huge noise as my car jerked out a bit. I thought I had caught a loose line. I got out and a guy asked me if I stopped because of the noise, I said yes, He pointed to a tree that had come down just behind me. Split second thing. Moral, during a storm and after it , take care, and stay in until the dust settles.

Okay, and the wind is really picking up.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Pretty sure half the ppl from Norteastern NB bought a generator during the ice storm. Some guy from quebec came down to Bathurst with a trailer with a bunch of generators in it. They were at a good price considering it was during a crisis. He could have really take advantage of it. Smart guy!

I had no power for a week after Arthur in 2014 when I was living in Fredericton. Only because NB Power couldn't bother cleaning up the power lines for a long time...

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
so the tone of posts is going to change... and it will dwindle down as power goes out. It has picked up considerably with it still hours away.
Heard a comment that it is nothing to be concerned about because Juan was stronger. It was slightly stronger but Dorian is twice as wide.
It is windy as heck here and I will no doubt lose power and miss the game tonight!

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Much of the reason we have many power outages is because we have a lot of trees relative to most areas. And our trees are not used to such powerful winds.

Reactions: OldCraig71

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I’m originally from Montreal and now live in Halifax for 1 year. Seriously, people need to chill. I went to the grocery store last night and people were freaking out. Running for the last loaf of bread, buying candles, all the chips were gone...do people have no food in their house to last what should be at most 12 hours...same thing in the winter, people in NS are terrible at dealing with storms. So scared all the time

I know you think we are overreacting, but I hope you are indoors and staying put right now. Make fun of me later for being a scaredy cat.

Reactions: MrNasty

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
How is everyone making out ? As far as I know the only issue has been power going out, no damage, anyone know?

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I’m originally from Montreal and now live in Halifax for 1 year. Seriously, people need to chill. I went to the grocery store last night and people were freaking out. Running for the last loaf of bread, buying candles, all the chips were gone...do people have no food in their house to last what should be at most 12 hours...same thing in the winter, people in NS are terrible at dealing with storms. So scared all the time

“should be at most 12 hours”

Lmao. Welcome to Nova Scotia, bud. Hope you’re prepared for at least 72 hours of no power...

Reactions: habsfan891

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The eye is supposed to pass by in about 2 hours, so that will be the worst of it for Halifax. As far as I know things have not been bad damage wise.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I still have power but 270,ooo houses and businesses don't in NS.
To put that in perspective, there are fewer than 1 million people in NS.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I thought Halifax was in the clear now, winds dying down, but news just said the eye was going to pass over us in about an hour.

This is going to get intense.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
At my parents house a very old (and my favorite) tree blew over onto their deck. It had four ways. Onto the car. Onto the roof. Onto the deck. Or safely into the ground.

So the third worst outcome. I'll take it.

Reactions: yianik

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
Halifax seems to be getting it pretty bad. Out here in New Brunswick I’m deep in the beer & storm chips but haven’t lost any power.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad