OT: Blow Me Down Dorian

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I have seen people put up threads on snowstorms, so I thought I would throw up one on Hurricane Dorian as there seem to be quite a few Nova Scotia posters.

So far it is a mild rain with some good wind. It is oddly cold. Pretty impressed with the people in Halifax, there is a quiet in the city. While people are still getting ready, no panic at the shops as people have already been preparing. Unfortunately we have enough experience at this.

Yesterday my wife and I were tying things down, putting stuff away , as was the neighborhood. We talked and joked with the neighbors, but we know this will be bad. Things are fine now, but in a few hours all hell is going to break loose, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Hope power sticks long enough so I can hear how the kids do tonight.

Stay inside and careful of the candles. Eight died in Juan, directly and indirectly, we don't want a repeat of that.

Take care everyone.

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I’m originally from Montreal and now live in Halifax for 1 year. Seriously, people need to chill. I went to the grocery store last night and people were freaking out. Running for the last loaf of bread, buying candles, all the chips were gone...do people have no food in their house to last what should be at most 12 hours...same thing in the winter, people in NS are terrible at dealing with storms. So scared all the time

Reactions: Acadien86

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I’m originally from Montreal and now live in Halifax for 1 year. Seriously, people need to chill. I went to the grocery store last night and people were freaking out. Running for the last loaf of bread, buying candles, all the chips were gone...do people have no food in their house to last what should be at most 12 hours...same thing in the winter, people in NS are terrible at dealing with storms. So scared all the time

I didnt see panic.

Look bruh, last time we were hit with a real hurricane most people were without power for almost a week, and every third tree was laying on the ground. So yeah , people get ready.

Edit: And as far as the chips, I bought 6 bags, I have three kids, guessing you have none. Lol.

Last edited:

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL

They all remember Juan.

Anyhow, best of luck to our Atlantic Canada members!

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I didnt see panic.

Look bruh, last time we were hit with a real hurricane most people were without power for almost a week, and every third tree was laying on the ground. So yeah , people get ready.

Edit: And as far as the chips, I bought 6 bags, I have three kids, guessing you have none. Lol.

We got hit by a freezing rain storm here in NB 2years ago. We had no electricity for 2 weeks and some place even 4. Nobody was expecting the storm, so they couldnt empty the stores and still, nobody died from starvation. People helping each other is key.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I didnt see panic.

You found chips? Local hero. Don’t they have storm chips down there?

I’m surprised to learn you’re not living in Montreal. Are you there permanently?

Reactions: BrendanGallagher11

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
People are just panicking since the fear from Juan.

Unless we got hit with a hurricane that was a category higher than Juan, we don't have much to worry about as far as it being as bad as Juan was.

Juan hit a province that hadn't been hit by a hurricane in what, 50 years? So there was no prep, there was no action plan to deal with it..

Reactions: habsfan891

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
You found chips? Local hero. Don’t they have storm chips down there?

I’m surprised to learn you’re not living in Montreal. Are you there permanently?

Yep, Halifax it is.

On the chips, I had to insist with the wife. She went on about getting apples etc. Lol. Sure, get those, but what will help a kid get through a bit of time better with no power, Macintosh apples or bbq chips ? Not. Even. Close.

Reactions: pepperMonkey

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
People are just panicking since the fear from Juan.

Unless we got hit with a hurricane that was a category higher than Juan, we don't have much to worry about as far as it being as bad as Juan was.

Juan hit a province that hadn't been hit by a hurricane in what, 50 years? So there was no prep, there was no action plan to deal with it..

It didnt help that the authorities told people not to get worked up about it. So not prepared.

I see power is already going down in places ( third world power grid ) and there is nothing to speak of yet.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It didnt help that the authorities told people not to get worked up about it. So not prepared.

I see power is already going down in places ( third world power grid ) and there is nothing to speak of yet.

I knew there was a hurricane headed for Atlantic Canada but was surprised to learn that it was gaining strength. Don’t they normally subside after they move on from Florida, the Carolinas, etc.?

This one is projected to turn into a category 2, which has not happened in Canada in 16 years. Landfall tonight apparently. Stay safe.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I knew there was a hurricane headed for Atlantic Canada but was surprised to learn that it was gaining strength. Don’t they normally subside after they move on from Florida, the Carolinas, etc.?

This one is projected to turn into a category 2, which has not happened in Canada in 16 years. Landfall tonight apparently. Stay safe.

At this point it doesn't matter if it's a strong Cat1 storm or a weak Cat2. There will most likely be significant damage from the storm.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
At this point it doesn't matter if it's a strong Cat1 storm or a weak Cat2. There will most likely be significant damage from the storm.

Totally realize that. Was just reiterating what had been reported.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

You are right, they usually do, because of the colder waters. All summer we have been hearing about the greater number of Great White sharks in our waters due to the water being warmer, so that may explain it. But yes, they recently upgraded it to Category 2. Hurricane Juan should have taken out the weaker and more mature trees so the damage should not be anywhere near as severe. Power loss is really annoying, but ultimately just an inconvenience ( triple so if you have younger kids lol ).

Oh, and by the way, I am Nova Scotian, so no transition.

So far so good, just a lot of rain. Got doused pretty good getting pizza though.

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
We're only expecting to get 50 knot winds with gusts to 60 knots from this storm here in NL where I live since the track moved more to the west. These wind totals aren't really that uncommon around these parts these days. I don't believe we are suppose to get much rain either but we'll see since things usually change for the worse when these storms hit it seems.

Stay inside and be safe everyone.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You are right, they usually do, because of the colder waters. All summer we have been hearing about the greater number of Great White sharks in our waters due to the water being warmer, so that may explain it. But yes, they recently upgraded it to Category 2. Hurricane Juan should have taken out the weaker and more mature trees so the damage should not be anywhere near as severe. Power loss is really annoying, but ultimately just an inconvenience ( triple so if you have younger kids lol ).

Oh, and by the way, I am Nova Scotian, so no transition.

So far so good, just a lot of rain. Got doused pretty good getting pizza though.

My apologies, for some reason I thought you were from Montreal originally. Maybe it's the fact of your user name, which is more usual in Quebec. We're lucky to have a lot of Nova Scotians posting here, it has made for some great exchanges.

The effects of the storm are already quite serious. Lots of power outages already: As of 1:30 p.m. AT Saturday, over 50,000 Nova Scotia Power customers were off the grid.

“Earlier there were some questions as to when Dorian would undergo a transition to a powerful extratropical low, but as of the latest model guidance it looks like Dorian will remain a hurricane as it makes landfall in Nova Scotia Saturday,” he said.

“In fact, not only remaining a hurricane but intensifying to a Category 2 storm bringing sustained winds of 150 km/h with higher wind gusts likely, especially along exposed coastal areas.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad