Blog: Some Nit Picks For Next Year

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Carrick is small and weak. He gets pushed around too much in battles for position.

Many people wish to trade for Jared Spurgeon, who is 5'9" and 165lbs. Carrick is 5'10" 192lbs.

Carrick is not a physical D, that much is for certain, but he's played fairly well when in the lineup.

Leafs PPG with him in the lineup, 1.44 and without him in the lineup, 1.05 PPG.

From a fancy stats perspective, he was one of our better D last year, easily the best RHD.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The Rest Haisney group are funny. He simply was put in a position that he was not capable of. He is not a top pair D man nor has he ever been. He got exposed not tired.

Please name one top pair D man who needed rest in the past. If Haisney is again on the top pair no amount of rest is going to make him a better D man.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Spurgeon is not a big guy either.
Just much more talented. Big or small, you need to be reliable. It doesn’t matter what people think of Carrick (and his upside) if Babcock is quick to substitute him.
At present we have Hainsey and Zaitsev for the right side.
Hainsey (37 and used a lot last year)
Zaitsev (must prove consistent top 4 again)
Carrick (replaced a lot by Babs)
Holl (2 NHL games)
Oz (zero NHL games)
Lily (probably AHL)
This is our big weakness.
Carrick's problem is not his size. His problem is that he doesn't move the puck out. The right side is a complete failure at possession exits. That is why the leafs have so many shots on net. Hainsey is even worse.

Reactions: diceman934

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The Rest Haisney group are funny. He simply was put in a position that he was not capable of. He is not a top pair D man nor has he ever been. He got exposed not tired.

Please name one top pair D man who needed rest in the past. If Haisney is again on the top pair no amount of rest is going to make him a better D man.
I totally agree. The amount of rielly skill suppression he is responsible for is breathtaking. Hainsey cannot play against speedy forwards. I'm ok with the PK and a bottom pairing role but that is it. Rielly needs a guy like Josh Manson. I would be totally ok seeing Gardiner leave the team to make room for a player like that

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I totally agree. The amount of rielly skill suppression he is responsible for is breathtaking. Hainsey cannot play against speedy forwards. I'm ok with the PK and a bottom pairing role but that is it. Rielly needs a guy like Josh Manson. I would be totally ok seeing Gardiner leave the team to make room for a player like that

Manson would nearly be the ideal add for this team, very underrated, elite defensive guy. But, it's highly improbable that the Ducks move him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hainsey seemed to play awful after his injury. Not sure that rest would have helped, but playing him (or anyone) the full 2 minutes was an awful idea.

Rest aren't really issues IMO. We got Mac on waivers and backups of his quality aren't tough to find. Dump him and give Sparks a chance. Our 4th line C backup option is Jooris, no?

Gauthier is probably ahead of him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Kyle Dubas will likely add an extra emphasis to the Sports Science Department.

A few extra nights off for different players. More balenced ice time in the first half of the season. etc

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So how about Colin Miller?

As I had suggested in the other thread, he'd be great too. You've identified two of the best RHD, to compliment the guys that we have. I just don't think either is available. Sure, knock on doors and ask, can't hurt, but I really see no need for either to be moved. Picks and prospects don't move the needle for Vegas. They are a compete now team, at least so far.... maybe they tank this year, and at the deadline it's a different story... but I doubt that happens. They would be looking to add, not subtract for futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad