Proposal: Blockbuster: VAN + PHILLY

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Canucks < Patrick, Lehtera (cap dump for salary purposes)

Flyers < Horvat

Canucks get the younger player with more upside for their rebuild

Flyers get the win-now center on a team-friendly contract

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Flawed premise - flyers cant win now because of their coaching first and foremost, then their D and goaltending needs to be addressed. Patrick isnt the one holding them back. Horvat would be an upgrade now for sure, but it wouldnt help us move anywhere - our coach would probably just play him 8 minutes a night and out of position.

Reactions: Riptide

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I’d take Horvat before Pactrick on my team regardless of age

It's not just about age, it's about their respective contract situations

By the time the Canucks are contenders in 3 - 4 years, Horvat will be nearing UFA

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
HUGE pass. Horvat is the much better player right now (and not old at all) and our future captain.

And do you think having the "much better player right now" is what's best for the rebuild?

Having Horvat on the roster this year could be the difference between finishing just outside of the playoffs or being a bottom 3 team with a shot at landing Hughes

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
And do you think having the "much better player right now" is what's best for the rebuild?

Having Horvat on the roster this year could be the difference between finishing just outside of the playoffs or being a bottom 3 team with a shot at landing Hughes
Are you really trying to sell the trade with "You can finish in the bottom 3 and have a shot at the #1 pick"? If that's how you need to sell the trade, I think you need to ask yourself what GM is going to think like that. Maybe you get a few fans to bite with the idea of the #1 pick, but that's not really how it works.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Are you really trying to sell the trade with "You can finish in the bottom 3 and have a shot at the #1 pick"? If that's how you need to sell the trade, I think you need to ask yourself what GM is going to think like that. Maybe you get a few fans to bite with the idea of the #1 pick, but that's not really how it works.

It's not just the #1 pick. The point is, for a rebuilding team like the Canucks, they shouldn't be worried about having the "much better player this year", their focus should be on building through the draft with the highest picks possible

That is how successful rebuilds work

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Lmao if Horvat was 30 then sure. He’s 23 :laugh: In that case let’s trade Pettersson for Oliver Wahlstrom because he’s younger and Pettersson is decreasing our chance of a top 3 pick :laugh: Some people I tell you.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Lmao if Horvat was 30 then sure. He’s 23 :laugh: In that case let’s trade Pettersson for Oliver Wahlstrom because he’s younger and Pettersson is decreasing our chance of a top 3 pick :laugh: Some people I tell you.

Does Oliver Wahlstrom project to be as good or better than Pettersson?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Yes, lets start that perpetual rebuild. Keep trading geezers like 23 year old Horvat away and become the Oilers, in year 14 of their 20 year rebuild.

There's more to things than just age, especially when both players are young. There's team chemistry, on and off the ice, and establishing a stable core to build around. You can't have all 20 year olds on the team. You need players that are established and are in their prime, like Horvat along with the really young players. Trading because he may go to UFA in 2023 is one of the most silly things I've heard.

Reactions: cadillaccts

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As a Flyers fan, it's easy to say the Canucks would be dumb to do this.

Horvat will be the Captain leading them for the next decade.

Reactions: pettersson

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Horvat is actually a perfect #2 center and we have EP so there is 0 reason to gamble on Patrick.

There is a reason

Whether or not you think it's reason enough is where the discussion begins

With that said, this will be an interesting thread to bump in a few years

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
There is a reason

Whether or not you think it's reason enough is where the discussion begins

With that said, this will be an interesting thread to bump in a few years

You can bump it in a few years all you want to. Horvat is not available. Even if Patrick turns out better, he still wouldn’t be available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad