Devils --> '24 1st, '24 3rd, Stillman, Vanecek
Devils <-- Ullmark

Senators --> Chychrun
Senators <-- N.J.'s '24 1st, N.J.'s '24 3rd, Stillman, Grzelcyk

Bruins --> Grzelcyk, Ullmark
Bruins <-- Chychrun, Vanecek

New Jersey get an all-star caliber goalie

Ottawa land a '24 1st, a '24 3rd, and a solid prospect in Stillman

Boston add a top 4 LD while clearing the way for Swayman to be the team's starter

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think NJD owes more. But solid base. Boston doesn’t really want VV and I think Ottawa can do better.

Honestly, there are a lot of Ullmark to NJD scenarios that make sense, either directly or in a three way, the problem is he can’t sign a new contract until July and NJD might want to wait until then rather then putting themselves in a bad negotiating position with Ullmark having already given up the assets.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I think NJD owes more. But solid base. Boston doesn’t really want VV and I think Ottawa can do better.

Honestly, there are a lot of Ullmark to NJD scenarios that make sense, either directly or in a three way, the problem is he can’t sign a new contract until July and NJD might want to wait until then rather then putting themselves in a bad negotiating position with Ullmark having already given up the assets.
How much more would Ottawa get for Chychrun? That’s an awesome return to me. Go out in free agency, find a 2-3 year stop gap and take whatever RHD is available at our top ten pick.

At this point if I had the option to get nothing and let Chychrun leave, I would prefer that to signing him for 8 years.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

Yeah, that was my thinking as well, however, they're currently 5 points out of a playoff spot, so that '24 1st could very well land in the lottery

The 12th pick in the draft, Stillman, and a 3rd rd pick seems like a pretty solid return for Chychrun at this point, doesn't it?

And, yeah, taking on Vanecek's contract isn't ideal if you're the Bruins, but come playoff time are they better with Swayman & Chychrun on the ice or Ullmark & Grzelyck?

At the end of the day, I think this makes Boston a better team when it'll matter most...

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
How much more would Ottawa get for Chychrun? That’s an awesome return to me. Go out in free agency, find a 2-3 year stop gap and take whatever RHD is available at our top ten pick.

I think 1st, 2nd, Stillman is solid for Chychrun.

I think the 3rd in this deal is for them to take Gryz who they don’t need.

Yeah, that was my thinking as well, however, they're currently 5 points out of a playoff spot, so that '24 1st could very well land in the lottery

The 12th pick in the draft, Stillman, and a 3rd rd pick seems like a pretty solid return for Chychrun at this point, doesn't it?

SJ already has ownership of NJDs 2014 1st or 2025 1st. I don’t recall the conditions in that trade, tho

Reactions: Akrapovince

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think you're mistaken...

According to CapFriendly, the Devils sent their 2023 1st to the Sharks

Looked it up. Cap Friendly just has it listed as a 2024 2nd, but there are conditions to make it a first:

If NJ reaches '23 Eastern Conference Finals (and Meier plays in at least 50% Playoff games in 2023) or '24 Eastern Conference Finals, New Jersey trades 2024 first-round pick (top 10 protected), instead of its own second-round pick in '24 NHL Draft. If NJ's first-round pick in 2024 NHL Draft is a top 10 selection, NJ has option to instead transfer its 2025 First Round Pick to San Jose. Should New Jersey transfer its first-round pick in 2024 NHL Draft per the original condition (top-two above in Condition A), New Jersey will instead transfer its own first-round pick in 2025 NHL Draft should they reach the 2024 Eastern Conference Finals.

So seems unlikely.

Reactions: Neutrinos

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I think 1st, 2nd, Stillman is solid for Chychrun.

I think the 3rd in this deal is for them to take Gryz who they don’t need.

SJ already has ownership of NJDs 2014 1st or 2025 1st. I don’t recall the conditions in that trade, tho

The Sharks have the Devils’ second this year that moves up to a top 10 protected first if they make the ecf in 2023 or 2024.

But barring a Time Machine that 2023 condition won’t be met … and if the 2024 is, that means it’s not a lottery pick. And the top 10 protection on it that would make it slide to 2025 is obviously irrelevant now.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Really? I thought Bruins fans would think they were getting short changed here. Gotta give the OP credit here for coming with a three team trade that seems pretty darn balanced.

Id want VV to be sent elsewhere. Bruins don’t need or want him with Bussi and DiPietro (prospect reborn!) needing waivers next year and primed to fight over the backup spot.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Really? I thought Bruins fans would think they were getting short changed here. Gotta give the OP credit here for coming with a three team trade that seems pretty darn balanced.
Vanecek isn’t necessary, but Chychrun for Ullmark, and clearing Gryz…not a bad start

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Sens would need to find a way to punt at least one of their current goalies, but I'd be tempted to just cut out the middle man in all honesty. Chychrun for Ullmark, small adds on either side as needed.

The draft picks could end up filling a need, but Ullmark does fill a need.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Sens would need to find a way to punt at least one of their current goalies, but I'd be tempted to just cut out the middle man in all honesty. Chychrun for Ullmark, small adds on either side as needed.

The draft picks could end up filling a need, but Ullmark does fill a need.
Sens should be tanking for the remainder of this season in the hopes of landing the highest draft pick possible

Adding Ullmark would seem counterproductive to that

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don’t know why bruins are so linked to all the d. We need a centre more than anything

Sens should be tanking for the remainder of this season in the hopes of landing the highest draft pick possible

That’s why they aren’t adding him and instead NJ is

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Agree to disagree. They need to build toward the short term future and teaching some of these guys to play the right way (and go forbid win) is going to be more important than ~6 spots in the draft. Playing in front of Korpisalo is legitimately hurting the team at this point. Getting a true solution in net for the first time since Craig Anderson would go a long way in terms of the team playing with confidence and obviously they'd have a high end starter next season when they are trying to win.

There's a risk going into UFA trying to find another option, especially given how weak the goalie class is this time around. A high pick would be a nice bonus, but it's secondary to adding mipact players who can help them make the playoffs next year and beyond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad