Post-Game Talk: BLO WIN 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
If their collective shot selection had been better, it could have been 5-1 or more.

Still, lots of positive signs right now. If the 3rd can keep scoring and they keep the GAs down, the sky is the limit.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I've been a Jensen hater from the start. But he's looked really good for a several games. His gaffes are way down, and he's been contributing more positively. What do the fancy stats say?

The fancy stats look kindly upon Jensen: first among Caps D in xGF% by a mile at 54.3%, everyone else is 47-49%. For the more graphically inclined:

upload_2021-2-19_11-58-29.png

These results are also while taking non-sheltered minutes, despite nominally being on the third pair. He's also shown chemistry with Orlov in the past and it's no surprise that once reunited Orlov seems to have been making strides to returning to form, which also seems like an important detail.

He's never going to generate offense on his own and he certainly has the worst shot on the blue line, but the dude can play, especially in the defensive end. He's their shutdown RD IMO.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Jensen has been his best self this year. He and Chara cover one another’s shortcomings really well.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Eye test tells me I should not believe in Jensen.

Schultz? Any day of the week.

Orlov coming to life is logical. Should be able to progress further. He's just behind most of the other D men.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Big take-away from this game: The team defense is improving. There were long stretches where Buffalo had very few scoring chances.

Also the third line looked good again. Panik Eller Sheary.

team D is a matter of time.. they have the talent on D and upfront to make it happen. Lavy knows how to do it. Just gotta get everyone on the same page. Looks like it’s coming around.

as much as I can get down on this team sometimes, you have to remember they have a new head coach and a handful of new players in key roles with a shortened training camp. This team should get better as the season goes along.. so to be right in the mix of things is positive

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The fancy stats look kindly upon Jensen: first among Caps D in xGF% by a mile at 54.3%, everyone else is 47-49%. For the more graphically inclined:

View attachment 397989

These results are also while taking non-sheltered minutes, despite nominally being on the third pair. He's also shown chemistry with Orlov in the past and it's no surprise that once reunited Orlov seems to have been making strides to returning to form, which also seems like an important detail.

He's never going to generate offense on his own and he certainly has the worst shot on the blue line, but the dude can play, especially in the defensive end. He's their shutdown RD IMO.

If the premium skillsets for an NHL D was great wheels, no idea to do with the puck on your stick, and set yourself up for taking big hits, Jensen would be an All Star.

Seriously though, If he could figure out the puck on stick part he’d be much more useful.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Missed the last two games due to power outage. I'm glad they beat Pitt and got VV his first SO last night. I was hoping for his first to be against Pitt after following the sports app on phone. Going to watch the games later on dvr.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Missed the last two games due to power outage. I'm glad they beat Pitt and got VV his first SO last night. I was hoping for his first to be against Pitt after following the sports app on phone. Going to watch the games later on dvr.

If it’s any consolation, you haven’t missed VV’s first shutout just yet. A lone goal in the third spoiled both his shutout bids the last two games. But he’s been solid in net.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
I hope Samsonov is able to bounce back. He has had a tough year health wise. The guy is super talented. Hopefully it all works out.

That being said, am I the only one getting a Maxime Ouellet vibe from him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad