Blizzard's Diablo Immortal (Mobile Game)

Discussion in 'Geek Emporium' started by LightningStrikes, Nov 5, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes On Point

What a PR nightmare the announcement of Diablo Immortal was/is! Booing, "is this an April's fool" Q/A question from a fan, "don't you have phones" Q/A response by Blizz, tons of deleted comments on social media and Blizz forums, reuploads of the trailers on YouTube in hope of reducing downvotes (which doesn't work) etc. Holy hell!

Meanwhile I get why they opted to go for a mobile version for Diablo. Mobile games are huge in Asia. Why not cash in there and maybe establish it a bit in the US and EU. To announce it at BlizzCon, with all the nostalgic PC master race people in the audience, waiting for a Diablo 4 or Diablo 2 Remastered announcement (after Blizz themselves hyped up their audience in the first place) is dramatic. To not see the backlash coming is just dumb. "We have many projects planned for the Diablo franchise" - well maybe throw your nostalgic yet loyal fanbase a bone, why won't you?

I for one don't care much. Don't have time for elaborate PC games anymore anyway. But holy cow, this is on EA levels of fail.

For reference:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  2. syz

syz [1, 5, 6, 14]

Entitled gamers being entitled, news at 11.

Shouldn't have made it the closing announcement of their event, but then their petulant fanbase would ride them for not having anything new.

Lancer and Morozov like this.
  3. aleshemsky83

aleshemsky83 Registered User

The trailer honestly looks alright for a mobile game. Not that I'm interested, but yeah, the reaction is pretty stupid.

It actually reminds me of the infinite warfare thing. The trailer looked awesome but the hive mind just got irrationally angry.

You can't reason with people like that. If try to you "just don't get it" and if you capitulate and apologize it's "damage control"

4. LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes On Point

Because I love drama I did some digging. Apparently the plan was to announce Diablo 4 but a couple months before Blizzcon, Blizzard apparently cancelled the announcement for unknown reasons (delay in development? management cut off the cashflow and froze or even stopped the project? we can only speculate). They even released a "temper your expectations" shortly before BlizzCon (just wow). But because they had to fill the main act slot they went for the mobile Diablo Immortal announcement. Problem is, development isn't very advanced at this point, they even said it's just a couple months in development. They even outsourced development to a 3rd company called NetEase, who are known for producing mobile games with lots of microtransactions required, which of course doesn't sit well with the fanbase. And it seems like they just took an existing game and gave it the Diablo look to have something to show to the public. In the demo version at BlizzCon only three abilities (of six?) were available to three playable characters. The other three characters were disabled, on the content page they have no abilities listed yet, just lore. A talent/skill system could not be found. And most importantly the loot system was also disabled in the demo despite the fact that loot is one of the core incentives to play Diablo (other than dark atmosphere and slaying demons).

Here's a good read:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  5. 542365

542365 Schwartz Be With You

I hope we see Diablo 4 in the near future. I love the franchise.

That was one of the most uncomfortable announcements I've ever seen. I don't care one way or another about the mobile game as I don't play mobile games, but it doesn't seem wise to make that game your headliner when you're known mostly for PC games. Just seems like they don't know their audience very well somehow.

PeteWorrell likes this.
  6. SeidoN

SeidoN #HFOutcasts

Roaster
    well I installed Path of Exile today lol

7. HFBCommenter

HFBCommenter •régistérédUSÊR•

Broadcasting Personality
    I don't see the problem with mobile games. This is the trend these days. Who can fault them for getting into the market and making money.

8. 542365

542365 Schwartz Be With You

There's nothing wrong with mobile games if they're done properly. Too often, though, they have horrific microtransaction systems in place and ruin the experience. NetEase, the 3rd party developers who have been tasked with making Diablo Immortals, is known to produce Diablo clones with horrific microtransactions, hence the backlash. It seems like they just took one of NetEase's games and slapped the Diablo name on it for marketing purposes.

It will still make a bunch of money because it's Diablo and the mobile market is huge. The problem comes with this being the headliner of their event. Nobody went to Blizzcon hoping to see a mobile game as the headliner. Everyone was hyped(because the Blizzard hype machine tried to get people hyped) for either a Diablo Remaster or possibly Diablo 4. Instead they were shown a mobile game just weeks into development from a developer known for ****ty business practices, and then they were mocked and yelled at because they weren't stoked about it.

PeteWorrell likes this.
  9. Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless Most Displeased

Releasing a Diablo mobile game is smart.

Announcing a Diablo mobile game as a headliner at your convention where fans of your "core" games have paid hundreds of dollars to show up is...I mean, they couldn't have expected that to go over well with that crowd, could they?

If they had released the mobile game separately or at least in conjunction with a Diablo 4 announcement (like Bethesda with Elder Scrolls), there would likely be far less rabble rabble.

Also, while I understand Blizzard's frustration at the fan backlash, feeding the fire with sassy responses is never a good idea.

PeteWorrell likes this.
  10. TheBluePenguin

TheBluePenguin Registered User

100% this, it is so easy to see how they could have announced this game with no backlash. Do not tell your most hardcore fan-base whom are ALL are PC players "You have phones right?" Easily could have said D4 is coming and to hold you over here is out mobile game ! Things you earn in the mobile game carry over to your D4 account !

That being said this new game is also 100% a reskin of another game that was a Chinese Diablo knockoff. It was just short sighted laziness. How tone-deaf is Blizzard if no one saw this coming.

PeteWorrell likes this.
  11. Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco Here mainly for talking about Fantasy Football.

Therapist
    Well, a former Blizzard employee and Diablo 2 Producer seems to think that the #1 issue here is that Blizzard Doesn't Understand Gamers Anymore.

PeteWorrell likes this.
  12. ArGarBarGar

ArGarBarGar Defense Please

I don't understand spending hundreds of dollars for these types of events, so I can't really feel sorry that they didn't get the exact thing they wanted (which they weren't even promised to begin with).

13. Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless Most Displeased

I agree with you, but I think that's also sort of the point - as in, it paints a picture of who your audience is at these conventions (the hardcore - not really the type of crowd to appreciate a mobile game when you've built your empire on AAA games).

Mind you, there are more issues than that when it comes to waves of internet rage, but I think that's the trigger.

14. RandV

RandV It's a wolf v2.0

Home Page:
    I don't think this is really the same thing. Using Marvel/Avengers for an example this would be more like if you got all your biggest fans into a convention expecting a big announcement and/or Infinity War trailer and instead they just announce a new Marvel theme park. Probably a good business decision, but not really the right time/place/crowd to announce it to with nothing else.

And comparing to the movie industry there really isn't a good example of taking an old PC game franchise and announcing a mobile release. It's an apples & oranges comparison, except for the people wanting an orange the apple they're getting is rotten and full of worms.

PeteWorrell likes this.
  15. The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy Registered User

lol, what a fail.

16. aleshemsky83

aleshemsky83 Registered User

Apparently people were told before the event to temper their expectations for a reason. Diablo 4 was going to be announced but was pulled last minute

17. Tonneau

Tonneau Registered User

Command & Conquer says hi.

18. Osprey

Osprey Registered User

Also, there were several mobile RollerCoaster Tycoon games earlier this decade when, at the time, the last PC game in the series was released back in 2004.

Also, it wasn't a mobile game, but Age of Empires Online might as well have been one because it looked and played like one and had a similar microtransaction model.

19. Tonneau

Tonneau Registered User

I just remembered that there is also a Dungeon Keeper mobile game.

20. RandV

RandV It's a wolf v2.0

Home Page:
    That's what I was talking about saying there isn't really a good movie comparison to this. Old IP get new movie or TV show announcements all the time these days, and even if it's something low budget or a Michael Bay adaption that's still a few steps above old PC game IP's like Command & Conquer or Dungeon Keeper getting dusted off for a mobile release.

21. Realgud

Realgud Generational User

Can't wait to play Starcraft mobile

22. syz

syz [1, 5, 6, 14]

Remember when Todd Howard was on stage at E3 talking about an Elder Scrolls mobile game for like 15 minutes, but then showed 2 nothing logos for games that everybody knew they were making anyways that won't be out for years (you know, like Diablo 4?).

Funny how thin the line is between nerd rage and "OMG best E3 conference ever." Blizzard should've just shown a logo.

23. Moskau

Moskau Registered User

The problem is, from what I understand at least, is that Diablo 4 isn't even on the radar at the moment. Like... it probably wont even be at next year's Blizzcon.

There's a pretty big internal problem in Blizzard right now. They just don't have the game design talent to have this many projects. Blizzard games for the last decade or so have basically been carried by their artists and asset designers. Their actual games are poorly designed messes. They're constantly shuffling around what few good game designers they have from game to game but all of the good ones want to work on Overwatch, Hearthstone, or leave the company. And instead of poaching good talent from other companies they're recruiting people like Jay Wilson. So the company is always in a flux of switching game directors. WoW guys go to Titan to try and save it, WoW suffers, guys get shuffled over to WoW to help it, SC2 loses people, guys get sent back to the WoW team to help it, Diablo 3 loses people to Hearthstone. It really seems like a cluster **** **** show there and probably why AAA companies generally try to focus on 1 or 2 IPs at a time.

24. crowi

crowi Registered Loser

I thought it would be an actual DIABLO game or a remake at least. The people I know in my small circle, they will not play a mobile game. These people have kids etc, but even those don't like it.

25. crowi

crowi Registered Loser

Blizzard has stopped being about gamers, it's about MONEY, now. This just is how it is - ACTIVISION.