TV: Bless the Harts (FOX)

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016

As someone who is from North Carolina and is familiar with the area the show is based loosely off of (High Point), I'm intrigued. It might suck but I'll give it a shot.

I watched the premiere on Hulu..
For me, it was part King of the Hill, part (original) Roseanne.
I appreciated the reference to Food Lion, they seemed really committed to a detailed depiction of class & region.. but I didn't laugh & none of the characters were endearing.
Basically boring, but out of curiosity, I'll probably check out one more episode.

What did u think ?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It was alright, I got some of the references and I did chuckle at the Food Lion joke. The restaurant the main character works at is a spoof of a family-owned BBQ chain that I've eaten at before (Carters BBQ and Ribs), and they have bible verses and "Jesus Saves" signs on the wall. It's accurate enough so far.

I think the last FOX animation show that I watched the pilot premier was Allen Gregory which was just awful. This show at least the characters are somewhat likable, for now.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Picked up for a 2nd season. :thumbu:

from thefutoncritic.com:

FOX Entertainment has ordered a second season of the new animated series BLESS THE HARTS, to air during the 2020-2021 season. With animation serving as a cornerstone of FOX programming, the network expanded its Sunday night brand this fall with the introduction of a new original voice and concept in BLESS THE HARTS. Created and executive-produced by Emmy Award winner Emily Spivey ("The Last Man on Earth," "Parks and Recreation," "Saturday Night Live") and featuring a voice cast of comedy all-stars, including Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Jillian Bell, Ike Barinholtz and Kumail Nanjiani, the half-hour animated comedy follows the Harts, a Southern family that is always broke, and forever struggling to make ends meet. They one day hope to achieve the American dream, but they're already rich - in friends, family and laughter.

"BLESS THE HARTS is an incredibly sharp, yet sweet, series that complements the FOX Animation Domination block perfectly," said Michael Thorn, President, Entertainment, FOX Entertainment. "It simply doesn't get much better than having a comedy anchored by talent like Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Ike Barinholtz, Jillian Bell and Kumail Nanjiani. We want to thank creator and executive producer Emily Spivey, whose unique voice and personal experience brought this family to life, as well as executive producers Phil Lord and Chris Miller, and our partners at 20th Century Fox Television. We are thrilled to watch the Hart family experience more adventures, mishaps and boxed wine for another amazing season."

Full story here: www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2019/10/18/fox-entertainment-renews-animation-dominations-newest-entry-bless-the-harts-for-a-second-season-626215/20191018fox01/

Reactions: HisIceness

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Picked up for a 2nd season. :thumbu:

from thefutoncritic.com:

FOX Entertainment has ordered a second season of the new animated series BLESS THE HARTS, to air during the 2020-2021 season. With animation serving as a cornerstone of FOX programming, the network expanded its Sunday night brand this fall with the introduction of a new original voice and concept in BLESS THE HARTS. Created and executive-produced by Emmy Award winner Emily Spivey ("The Last Man on Earth," "Parks and Recreation," "Saturday Night Live") and featuring a voice cast of comedy all-stars, including Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Jillian Bell, Ike Barinholtz and Kumail Nanjiani, the half-hour animated comedy follows the Harts, a Southern family that is always broke, and forever struggling to make ends meet. They one day hope to achieve the American dream, but they're already rich - in friends, family and laughter.

"BLESS THE HARTS is an incredibly sharp, yet sweet, series that complements the FOX Animation Domination block perfectly," said Michael Thorn, President, Entertainment, FOX Entertainment. "It simply doesn't get much better than having a comedy anchored by talent like Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Ike Barinholtz, Jillian Bell and Kumail Nanjiani. We want to thank creator and executive producer Emily Spivey, whose unique voice and personal experience brought this family to life, as well as executive producers Phil Lord and Chris Miller, and our partners at 20th Century Fox Television. We are thrilled to watch the Hart family experience more adventures, mishaps and boxed wine for another amazing season."

Full story here: www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2019/10/18/fox-entertainment-renews-animation-dominations-newest-entry-bless-the-harts-for-a-second-season-626215/20191018fox01/

I'm glad FOX is giving Harts an extended chance. I watched a couple more episodes, not great.. but I'm basically enjoying 'em.

I liked Son of Zorn, and the animated Napoleon Dynamite from a few seasons back. FOX basically cancelled both shows in their infancies.. so it's cool they're giving this animated series time to develop.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
I got some of the references and I did chuckle at the Food Lion joke.

Watched their recent Christmas episode.. More regional references/humor. Scene inside a Harris Teeter.
And they joked how drivers in the SouthEast freak out at first signs of snow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad