Post-Game Talk: Bleh!

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That's just a seasoned vet saving his energy for the regular season.

Winger needs to pick up the guy coming down, instead of puck watching. Matt Benning isn’t close to covering that guy from that position, but he’s in the right spot. Samorukov could have been more aggressive on the puck carrier I guess and tried to get a stick on the pass.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The biggest disappointment so far is the lack of forwards stepping up to claim jobs. Haas looks to be too small and lacks grit IMO, Nygard looks passable but has been underwhelming, McLeod is showing flashes but is likely best suited for some AHL time, Benson is not ready, Marody could still use that extra gear skating wise but has been ok and basically looks like a less gritty version of Gagner with a better stick defensively, Gambardella didn't look to have gained much in the skating department this summer either.

At this point Sheahan maybe our 3C and Cave maybe our 4C.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You mean the glove doesn't have to go down before it goes up?

O look, a HDSCA, most goalies would struggle with that play. If he commits to the shot he’s easily deked. Also was a quick transition. Not saying Koskinen was good, but the defence did him no favours on that play.

Reactions: Mr Tadakichi

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Why did they give Lowe a shot? Just needed a warm body in the lineup? We have younger, far more talented guys ahead of him. The guy cannot skate at an NHL level. He is a capable AHL defencemen, but I think that is going to be about it for him

Reactions: KYams17

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Why did they give Lowe a shot? Just needed a warm body in the lineup? We have younger, far more talented guys ahead of him. The guy cannot skate at an NHL level. He is a capable AHL defencemen, but I think that is going to be about it for him
Because you need some capable veteran AHL defensemen.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think people are reading too much into this game. It may look like they gave up and didn’t work hard, but a lot of these guys simply don’t know what to work hard towards.

You can work your ass off, but if you don’t know where to be, or what to do when you get the puck, or who to cover, etc, you’re going to look like you’re not working hard. It’s different once you have a defined role imo, and none of those lines last night really did. Even before the game in the interviews, Tippett said there was no “top line” that it was just 4 lines.

I think it was another case of taking out the top NHL players and playing the bubble guys together to focus more on them individually rather than worry about the team game at this point.

All in all, it was a very poor game from a bunch of guys playing in roles they likely never will at the NHL level, and for the most part they sank, but was a good way for Tippett to evaluate who of the bubble guys has earned further looks.

Also as frustrated as I always am with benning, I don’t think there’s any way he isn’t on the roster opening night. He’s going to get the veteran benefit of the doubt.

13 players were assigned to Bakersfield/waivers post game. Are you actually saying the game wasn't important?

The reaction of the coaching staff (disgust) was pretty similar to that of the fans.

That's good news and because this is now the era of accountability. Excuses are for losers, non performance is treated harshly, and floaters are punted to the curb. Quickly as they occur.

This is actually great, and I'm loving this and said in the Game Day thread that I would send most of these guys right down to Bakersfield, not even allow them to come back to Edmonton. That's a huge message imo.

Play like that and you don't even get a ride back to Edmonton. Classic old school. Love Tippet

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
13 players were assigned to Bakersfield/waivers post game. Are you actually saying the game wasn't important?

The reaction of the coaching staff (disgust) was pretty similar to that of the fans.

That's good news and because this is now the era of accountability. Excuses are for losers, non performance is treated harshly, and floaters are punted to the curb. Quickly as they occur.

This is actually great, and I'm loving this and said in the Game Day thread that I would send most of these guys right down to Bakersfield, not even allow them to come back to Edmonton. That's a huge message imo.

Play like that and you don't even get a ride back to Edmonton. Classic old school. Love Tippet

Of course the game was important for the players playing, and for evaluating individuals. It wasn't important for the oilers overall season, or evaluating any general aspect of the team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Of course the game was important for the players playing, and for evaluating individuals. It wasn't important for the oilers overall season, or evaluating any general aspect of the team.

Just don't agree with you seemingly giving the players a pass in your post. Both teams have the same situation, its preseason, both have incomplete lineups and a raft of guys in altered slots. You adapt, and quickly, or the game is over. its a measure of being able to show under pressure or fold. Its crystal clear which players folded last night and they're all on the Bako bus. Not due to system, not due to not knowing what they are supposed to do, but due to lack of equalling intensity and battle on the ice. They were owned.

Reactions: MessierII

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Just don't agree with you seemingly giving the players a pass in your post. Both teams have the same situation, its preseason, both have incomplete lineups and a raft of guys in altered slots. You adapt, and quickly, or the game is over. its a measure of being able to show under pressure or fold. Its crystal clear which players folded last night and they're all on the Bako bus. Not due to system, not due to not knowing what they are supposed to do, but due to lack of equalling intensity and battle on the ice. They were owned.

I don't think of it as a pass so much as it was an opportunity to show something to the coaching staff that nobody expects them to have, and they all failed, as expected. It's disappointing, and they were rightfully cut and hopefully reamed out and given ideas of what they need to work on to ever become NHLers, but I don't think it's fair to write them all off because of a game like the one last night.

I agree that adaptation and performing under pressure are incredibly important, especially when you're playing a make or break game like last night, but it's not the end all of an NHL career.

I'm not about to start doubting the season, or any of these guys NHL futures based on this game. Some of them have a few years yet, and some until the end of this season to prove something they never showed here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't think of it as a pass so much as it was an opportunity to show something to the coaching staff that nobody expects them to have, and they all failed, as expected. It's disappointing, and they were rightfully cut and hopefully reamed out and given ideas of what they need to work on to ever become NHLers, but I don't think it's fair to write them all off because of a game like the one last night.

I agree that adaptation and performing under pressure are incredibly important, especially when you're playing a make or break game like last night, but it's not the end all of an NHL career.

I'm not about to start doubting the season, or any of these guys NHL futures based on this game. Some of them have a few years yet, and some until the end of this season to prove something they never showed here.

I'm not writing anybody off. All my posts in the exchange reference "this preseason" They pissed away their chances this preseason. It might even sour call ups for this season. How you could perform like that for a new Veteran respected coach is unfathomable. Tippet likely outlasts all of them here and its not a good first impression, its the worst possible impression for these players to make to Tippet and Holland who certainly didn't like what they saw. We know as well in NHL circles new management often go with their own after seeing something like this. Vet coaches hate to be embarrassed due to non performance/non adherence to game plan.

I don't simply look at the scoreline. I watched the entire game. You could pretty much see a point in the 2nd period, half way through where the Oilers roster players simply gave up. Shift to shift and Nucks dominated the rest of the way. Fortunate not to have seen double digit scoreline as Nucks by the 3rd were swarming unmolested for goals. It was flat out non compete for at least half the game. THAT is why there are reactions and consequences. Fall down ought to be treated seriously. You can't do that in pro sports.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Gritty veteran Matt Benning

Vlzd679.gif

Matt Benning playing the veteran role by letting the rookie D compete for that open man.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not writing anybody off. All my posts in the exchange reference "this preseason" They pissed away their chances this preseason. It might even sour call ups for this season. How you could perform like that for a new Veteran respected coach is unfathomable. Tippet likely outlasts all of them here and its not a good first impression, its the worst possible impression for these players to make to Tippet and Holland who certainly didn't like what they saw. We know as well in NHL circles new management often go with their own after seeing something like this. Vet coaches hate to be embarrassed due to non performance/non adherence to game plan.

I don't simply look at the scoreline. I watched the entire game. You could pretty much see a point in the 2nd period, half way through where the Oilers roster players simply gave up. Shift to shift and Nucks dominated the rest of the way. Fortunate not to have seen double digit scoreline as Nucks by the 3rd were swarming unmolested for goals. It was flat out non compete for at least half the game. THAT is why there are reactions and consequences. Fall down ought to be treated seriously. You can't do that in pro sports.

I agree with everything you said here. My post was directed at those seemingly writing players off, or implying this performance had anything to do with the actual oilers performance this season to come. People were implying the losing culture of the veterans somehow got to these players and that's the reason they were so poor, when in reality I think they just aren't good enough at this time to perform in the roles they were given the chance to last night.

These players should all be disappointed in themselves, and it's up to them to decide what they do with those feelings.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Matt Benning playing the veteran role by letting the rookie D compete for that open man.

Badly played, not even an attempt to close the passing lane, that's not even a flamingo out there by Benning who was a tire fire and was only better on the night than Keegan Lowe who was hof bad..

That said the pass across goes right through Koskinen and that can't happen. If a goalie has a chance to deflect or stop a pass across that should occur. You got the big paddle and pads to do something with them.

Reactions: KYams17

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Badly played, not even an attempt to close the passing lane, that's not even a flamingo out there by Benning who was a tire fire and was only better on the night than Keegan Lowe who was hof bad..

That said the pass across goes right through Koskinen and that can't happen. If a goalie has a chance to deflect or stop a pass across that should occur. You got the big paddle and pads to do something with them.
Did you miss how he attempted to get his stick on it?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Did you miss how he attempted to get his stick on it?

you mean how he failed?

That was an obvious pass across situation from a harmless area. Koski could even have squared to the pass and negated any chance of it getting through. Not saying he should have done that but waving at a puck with your goal stick and not even touching it is not a good look. Some other potential fault that will get scouted.

Koski had a poor game and of course not just this play.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Horrible defense.

No goalie should have to wack pucks out of the air because his dmen are stunned.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
you mean how he failed?

That was an obvious pass across situation from a harmless area. Koski could even have squared to the pass and negated any chance of it getting through. Not saying he should have done that but waving at a puck with your goal stick and not even touching it is not a good look. Some other potential fault that will get scouted.

Koski had a poor game and of course not just this play.
Square up to it there? That might be the worst piece of goaltending advice I have ever seen

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Horrible defense.

No goalie should have to wack pucks out of the air because his dmen are stunned.

Well, Quick does that routinely. Just saying. But I do expect goalies to be able to deflect a puck passed from the goal line that goes right through them. yes.

With goalie equipment being what it is its almost comical to see how that puck went straight through.

shared fault for sure.

I'm not absolving either on the play.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
Lots of NHL goalies look like a used baby diaper dumpster fire in the preseason, only to find their game once the season begins. If he's still playing like this on October 2nd I'll become concerned. For now, he's still got nearly 2 full weeks to shake the rust off and get in the zone before the season begins. Give him a few games then assess where he's at.

Reactions: MessierII

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Square up to it there? That might be the worst piece of goaltending advice I have ever seen
What is it about me saying "not saying he should have done that (squared up) but just saying" do you not understand?

I took the time to write it carefully and you respond to something I didn't conclude. Sounds fair..

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What is it about me saying "not saying he should have done that (squared up) but just saying" do you not understand?

I took the time to write it carefully and you respond to something I didn't conclude. Sounds fair..
Either way, he attempted to deflect the saucer pass which is easier said than done.

While benning just watched it happen and didn’t even flinch

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Either way, he attempted to deflect the saucer pass which is easier said than done.

While benning just watched it happen and didn’t even flinch

I wouldn't say he did nothing. He did rotate 20 degrees to the left. Although, maybe I'm too quick to give credit. Maybe a breeze created by the puck going by moved him and he would have preferred to stay completely stationary if he had the choice.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
my opinion hasn't changed much. If this score were flipped, I'd still be saying that our team's chances this year are limited. I mean sure, it's a gamble so anything could happen, but to me, as long as we try to get by without an offensive Dman, or try to get by with a rookie in that role, it's not going to go well.

Although I'd have to say that Koskinen didn't look good. But it was just one game so I'll wait on that, and I like Smith.

I like Holland's acquisitions so far. I hope that continues, but it's bigger than just having good players. It also means that our GM is good at talent analysis

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Koskinen didn’t even react.... he moved his fat arse after the puck went in. He can’t even try to move across?
Didn't react to the pass? That's why he moved his stick to try and deflect it right?

We get it though, you're just upset Talbot lost his job to this guy.

Only on HF oil would a goalie get blamed for that goal.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad