Post-Game Talk: Bleh!

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
My,my we have short memories.I remember,under McLelland,winning a lot of preseason games and getting hyped about the coming season only to be out of it by December.I like that Tippet is seeing what we have from our prospects first and then adding veterans as the preseason wears on.Prospects need to stand up on their own as opposed to riding the coattails of vets only to discover that they weren’t good enough.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Its just preseason guys. Veterans coast, and a lot of young guys that will never be NHL'ers either aren't talented enough or don't have enough motivation and drive to maintain proper fitness in the summer which results in slow starts for them and never being able to catch up and make the team's straight out of camp.

Also, my second sentence describes Matt Benning, please get rid of this man. I am sure hes a nice human being and a good dude, but he makes me puke, and i puke a lot, its why i constantly change paper bags.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I think the most worrying part of last nights game isn’t that they played poorly, it’s that they didn’t play hard. They basically gave up. I hope Tippett noticed that.

Its hard to change a culture that so entrenched in losing. Its also had to develop that consistent culture when the boss keeps changing every few seasons.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
On the Baertschi back door goal from Horvat - yes, Benning made no attempt to block the lane but was it not Malone who should have picked up the trailer? I
From looking again, yes. Malone is also at fault. He should have got that trailer if Benning was covering the front of the net.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Most of the players in last nights game weren’t entrenched in the Oilers losing culture. Just Klefbom and Benning really.

Other people feed off negative or lazy energy. Its why even as a new person entering a work space you can almost feel the culture in the room immediately, whether its positive, whether people have clicks, whether nobody likes each other or there is an uncomfortable feeling in the air.

Don't underestimate the ability of losers to take other people down to their level.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Other people feed off negative or lazy energy. Its why even as a new person entering a work space you can almost feel the culture in the room immediately, whether its positive, whether people have clicks, whether nobody likes each other or there is an uncomfortable feeling in the air.

Don't underestimate the ability of losers to take other people down to their level.
Maybe Kevin gave his team a pep talk before the game.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Gritty veteran Matt Benning

Vlzd679.gif

QFn7H81.gif

That's just a seasoned vet saving his energy for the regular season.

Reactions: frag2

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
@Oilers in NS

On Dwight being Buck's son.. no idea, hadn't heard that one before... Dwight was born in Kentucky while it sounds like Buck was around California/Washington in 1956... so my guess is likely not. I assume someone made that up because they both had that "Bakersfield sound".

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I think people are reading too much into this game. It may look like they gave up and didn’t work hard, but a lot of these guys simply don’t know what to work hard towards.

You can work your ass off, but if you don’t know where to be, or what to do when you get the puck, or who to cover, etc, you’re going to look like you’re not working hard. It’s different once you have a defined role imo, and none of those lines last night really did. Even before the game in the interviews, Tippett said there was no “top line” that it was just 4 lines.

I think it was another case of taking out the top NHL players and playing the bubble guys together to focus more on them individually rather than worry about the team game at this point.

All in all, it was a very poor game from a bunch of guys playing in roles they likely never will at the NHL level, and for the most part they sank, but was a good way for Tippett to evaluate who of the bubble guys has earned further looks.

Also as frustrated as I always am with benning, I don’t think there’s any way he isn’t on the roster opening night. He’s going to get the veteran benefit of the doubt.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think people are reading too much into this game. It may look like they gave up and didn’t work hard, but a lot of these guys simply don’t know what to work hard towards.

You can work your ass off, but if you don’t know where to be, or what to do when you get the puck, or who to cover, etc, you’re going to look like you’re not working hard. It’s different once you have a defined role imo, and none of those lines last night really did. Even before the game in the interviews, Tippett said there was no “top line” that it was just 4 lines.

I think it was another case of taking out the top NHL players and playing the bubble guys together to focus more on them individually rather than worry about the team game at this point.

All in all, it was a very poor game from a bunch of guys playing in roles they likely never will at the NHL level, and for the most part they sank, but was a good way for Tippett to evaluate who of the bubble guys has earned further looks.

Also as frustrated as I always am with benning, I don’t think there’s any way he isn’t on the roster opening night. He’s going to get the veteran benefit of the doubt.
Yep panic mode needs to be turned off. Pre season....

People always say relax it’s pre season when the Oilers do well but when they do bad it’s the end of the world.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He definitely was a bubble guy. He has been in the second group since the beginning of camp. On the wings I don't see who he pushes down. Maybe he is kept as an extra skater but you can't push Russell or Jurco down right now based on their performances

None of the "higher end/established" bottom 6 wingers (Khaira, Archibald, or Granlund) have shown much yet in their pre-season games. I wouldn't read too much into it (yet), though Jurco and Russell should be making their seats a little hotter.

As for the defence, as much as I don't like it, I'm not sure if they can afford to keep Bouchard off the team... They need offence from both of the last 2 spots to complement the top 4 of Klef, Nurse, Larsson, and Russell. Using only 1 OFD and Matt Benning isn't the answer.

I'll give them the rest of the pre-season, but I'm hoping Holland has an offer ready for someone like Green, even if it cost you Jones+.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The game wasn't important in the standings and winning or losing wasn't a "critical" factor... but absolutely you can bet a lot of money that the coaches (and GM) take a LOT out of these games... as it's the only way to get early reads on which players WANT it the most and which ones are not ready for the next step to cracking the starting roster.

You have to give the coaches some reason to see you as a standout and even then they likely defer to a veteran... but certainly if you are mediocre to poor in your output and effort... there's no reason they'll put you on the 23 man roster over a veteran to start the year.

Reactions: Aerchon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Granlund scored double digit goal rate the last three years in the NHL and he PKs. Pretty sure he is gonna be on the roster.

Think Marody - Jurco - P.Russell are in fact battling for the 13th forward role.

I also think Chiasson is gonna end up in that Nygard spot.

Drai McDavid Kassian
Chiasson RNH Neal
Nygard Granlund Gagner
Khaira Sheahan Archibald
Marody

Is what I think will happen. If Nygard does not cut it early on he will get pressboxed and Marody jumps up.

jebus you must hate Gagner sliding him with Granlund and Nygard.

Just

so

ugly

mean

:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->