Confirmed with Link: Blashill to coach Wings next season

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You know what else will impair your ability to get a job? NOT WINNING.

Blash has job security in as much as he can help the Red Wings accomplish their goals. And also, you should realize that if Ken Holland or any GM goes to their coach and cuts his balls off by telling him that he's going to set the lineups... you're going to lose a good man for no reason and that man is going to tell the next coach you interview about the messed up tone from the top. You'll get no one but last chance re-treads.

It's not "disobeying orders from above"... it's doing your ****ing job with the resources that you have. If a guy was so overbearing as your imaginary Holland or Lamorello or other GM, no coach worth a **** would sign here to coach.

alright, I laughed.

There was talk that Holland pulled Babcock aside in his first year here and essentially told him he needed to work with the team because the organization plays a certain way and brings in certain players. Also, that Holland put a bug in Babcock's ear about playing Nyquist when he had him up early on. I don't think it's an unheard of thing for GMs to "offer" their input if he's disagreeing wtih the coach.

I think the real point is that the GM shouldn't feel the need to step the toes of his coach, that they're largely on the same page and agree on how to get there. If there is some sort of serious disconnect between them, I have to believe the GM would just fire the guy. The fact Blashill still has a job has to be taken as Holland endorsing him.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
alright, I laughed.

There was talk that Holland pulled Babcock aside in his first year here and essentially told him he needed to work with the team because the organization plays a certain way and brings in certain players. Also, that Holland put a bug in Babcock's ear about playing Nyquist when he had him up early on. I don't think it's an unheard of thing for GMs to "offer" their input if he's disagreeing wtih the coach.

I think the real point is that the GM shouldn't feel the need to step the toes of his coach, that they're largely on the same page and agree on how to get there. If there is some sort of serious disconnect between them, I have to believe the GM would just fire the guy. The fact Blashill still has a job has to be taken as Holland endorsing him.

That's the thing. The GM will say "here is what our goals are" but unless the organization is completely dysfunctional or you have a ****ing weak nimrod of a coach (and no, Blashill is not that), the GM is going to stay out of the coach's kitchen. They work together on a plan, but the actual doling out of minutes? If that is being overseen (read: micromanaged) by a GM, that's an awful organization that has no clue what they're doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->