Blashill named USA WC Head Coach

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
This is his gig.
This is why he loves Howard.
This is why he shits on the young non-Americans.

When he is fired from Detroit, I can see him going to work for USNTDP if he doesn't go back to the NCAA.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Mediocre team, mediocre coach. Gonna be a hell of a showing again.

Edit: holy shit just saw the Kane news.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Everyone here hates Blashill so much... if he wins the tournament.. it will be because his team was the best, and managed to win despite his horrible coaching.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Everyone here hates Blashill so much... if he wins the tournament.. it will be because his team was the best, and managed to win despite his horrible coaching.
Wings are a contender if we had Scott Bowman behind the bench!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Blashill can be a good coach with the right team that fits his game plan/strength. Give him that, and he'll take off. But he doesn't have a roster capable of executing that in Detroit, and he's seemingly incapable of putting a structure in place that works to the talent he does have. Hope he does well in the tournament.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I have zero issues with letting Blash go at this point, but with a certain talent deficiency coaching just doesn't move the needle very much. We are a team without a number one center or anything resembling a top pair defensemen (let alone two). No amount of coaching is going to change that. There a number of posters who think we really aren't that bad and if we only change coaches because Blash is an idiot, AA and Mantha will suddenly find motors, XO will learn to skate, Bert will add a quick 10lbs of muscle and this team will be on a different trajectory and closer to being rebuilt. I, however, am here to tell you that we are going to be very bad for the foreseeable future and coaching isn't going to change that.

I am also not sure what a short tournament like the WC tells you about coaching. With such a short turn, the NA teams always seem to play super simple systems that are easy to install.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
if he wins world cup i will never complain about him again

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I honestly just think Detroit has a low amount of skill. 5th worst in the league? Not sure but bottom 10.

I do not think Scotty Bowman could make the playoffs with our roster.
Not all losing is created equal. Blashill shows no creativity, no balls. During a winning streak he'll always make some strange unwarranted lineup decision and we'll go on a losing streak instead. And during those streak he won't touch anything. A kid makes a mistake and he scratches him which just makes kids afraid to play their game. The icetime distribution has been well debated but it's hardly optimal.

I don't think he's the worst coach in the world but I'd enjoy a fresh idea or some in-game coaching that looks like it makes a difference. In a short tournament I think he's going to do horrible because he has no ability to change things up if it's not working.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I honestly just think Detroit has a low amount of skill. 5th worst in the league? Not sure but bottom 10.

I do not think Scotty Bowman could make the playoffs with our roster.

I think we're a ~20th team in the league, give or take a few spots because of luck, injuries, etc. I thought there were too many nights where the team looked disorganized and unprepared, though. Some of this disorganization could be chalked up to the lack of skill, but I think a lot of it is guys being tasked with trying to do execute a game plan they aren't capable of doing with any consistency.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
People complain about this team not having enough talent to compete.

Blames the coach when they don't win.

Ok?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think we're a ~20th team in the league, give or take a few spots because of luck, injuries, etc. I thought there were too many nights where the team looked disorganized and unprepared, though. Some of this disorganization could be chalked up to the lack of skill, but I think a lot of it is guys being tasked with trying to do execute a game plan they aren't capable of doing with any consistency.

Which ten do you have below us?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

Seriously... There's no way we're better than 26th or 27th in my mind. Looking at the standings this year I'd say Arizona is the only team below us that is better. None of the teams above are worse than us.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Surprised this doesn't have it's own thread yet/hasn't taken over this thread:

Holland confirmed Blashill is coming back as Red Wings' coach next year

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

When entering this season? I viewed Buffalo, Arizona, Vancouver, Ottawa, Colorado, and Vegas as the bottom 5. After that, I saw Montreal, us, Calgary, Carolina, NYI, NJ, Dallas, and maybe Florida jockeying around in those next eight spots. I guess 21st plus or minus a few spots would have been more accurate, but I felt we should be jockeying around that area for most of the season with injuries and luck pushing teams around that area.

Instead, we just flat sucked for long stretches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad