<Blank> makes you mad at the gym (or working out at home)

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Unless you have cheap stuff, weight lifting equipment is a joke. Good quality stuff is expensive. Especially proper bars/benches/etc. I have found some things that are quality and affordable, but let me know if you have any specific recommendations on good quality affordable stuff.

You have to know where to look. Craigslist and local selling groups have been awesome for me. Got the bench for like $20 from somebody just looking to give it away, same with most of the weights and dumbbells. It takes some extra time but it's so worth it. Also, certain stores like Aldi will put things on discount if they don't sell after a while and 50% off from a store that already has good prices is a very good deal.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Anothet thing I absolutely hate is the fact that i cant drop the weight and my descent has to be 100% controlled on DLs. Im a powerlifter and I seriously feel its hinderinh my progress.

That and I cant lift barefoot... Jesus leave me alone.

My gym also has all these fancy balls and kettlebell yet no one uses them.

They also removed the fatbar they bought...

Get me some platforms ffs.

I cant see the real damage of bumper plates and heavy duty mats when I drop the weights.

(When I mean drop, i mean controlled but not much muscle resistance, not flat our open hands from the top of the rep.)

Also the stupid ****ing no chalk rule

Yes I just did deadlifts :laugh:

Preach. I work out on base so... no membership fees for life! Yay. My current station has two main gyms. The one that I go to created a little power lifting room. It’s only got two power racks and two platforms but enough weight that you could have all four occupied with people moving 400+lbs and not be fighting for plates. We’ve got some PVC pipes and stuff for stretching as well. Get pretty good workouts. They allow chalk in that room but they still get on us about shoes so I bought some Nike metcons, which aren’t great, but are flat and stiff enough to not hinder me.

The absolute worst thing for me is coming to my gym, walking into the power lifting room
and finding some kid benching 95lbs in the power rack or squatting 95lbs in MY room! There’s four stationary benches and three more squat racks out in the general population area, as well as two incline benches, a decline and plenty of free benches. This is the room where the big boys lift and drop big weights. It’s covered in chalk and piles of bumper plates. The main section is virtually never full. I’ll ignore you if the rest of the room is empty but if I can’t get a squat rack because you’re benching in it and there’s three benches open in the other room... very agitating. And yes, sometimes I can find an empty squat rack in that room, but that room doesn’t have the atmosphere and the history of PRs. Also that room has loud crappy music. And often those squat racks are occupied. I know I shouldn’t be such a douche about it (for the record, I never say anything or show any resentment I just get really annoyed inside) but there’s a holiness to this room. When you’re squatting 435 and the only other guy in the room is doing 300lb power cleans there’s a vibe. When you’re trying to PR your deadlift and this kid might need a spot at any second on his 135 bench attempt, the vibe isn’t there.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Preach. I work out on base so... no membership fees for life! Yay. My current station has two main gyms. The one that I go to created a little power lifting room. It’s only got two power racks and two platforms but enough weight that you could have all four occupied with people moving 400+lbs and not be fighting for plates. We’ve got some PVC pipes and stuff for stretching as well. Get pretty good workouts. They allow chalk in that room but they still get on us about shoes so I bought some Nike metcons, which aren’t great, but are flat and stiff enough to not hinder me.

The absolute worst thing for me is coming to my gym, walking into the power lifting room
and finding some kid benching 95lbs in the power rack or squatting 95lbs in MY room! There’s four stationary benches and three more squat racks out in the general population area, as well as two incline benches, a decline and plenty of free benches. This is the room where the big boys lift and drop big weights. It’s covered in chalk and piles of bumper plates. The main section is virtually never full. I’ll ignore you if the rest of the room is empty but if I can’t get a squat rack because you’re benching in it and there’s three benches open in the other room... very agitating. And yes, sometimes I can find an empty squat rack in that room, but that room doesn’t have the atmosphere and the history of PRs. Also that room has loud crappy music. And often those squat racks are occupied. I know I shouldn’t be such a *****e about it (for the record, I never say anything or show any resentment I just get really annoyed inside) but there’s a holiness to this room. When you’re squatting 435 and the only other guy in the room is doing 300lb power cleans there’s a vibe. When you’re trying to PR your deadlift and this kid might need a spot at any second on his 135 bench attempt, the vibe isn’t there.
You are correct there. ;)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You know what makes me mad?

Getting to the pool on a Saturday morning at 5:55am, doors open at 6am. Doors open promptly at 6am, but the lifeguard on duty doesn't have a key to the lifeguard room to turn the damn lights on. Maintenance guy was done with his work, so he had checked out before the doors opened and was the only other person who would have a key.

But that's not even the part that gets my blood boiling... After waiting 30 minutes with 20 or so other people in the dark by the pool, someone with a key finally shows up. You'd think they'd have a little sense or urgency, no?

Nah, just slowly kicking their feet along the ground as they mope their way all around the pool to the room where the door was locked.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
This old quite heavy dude who does his post-shower/pre-work hair fixing session completely naked in front of the mirror in the middle of the locker room. Would it kill the guy to throw a pair of boxers on or keep a freaking towel around his waist to do this?

Does he blow dry his balls like some of the old dudes at my gym do?

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Pet Peeve of mine, and I might catch some heat on here, but here it goes...I vehemently disagree with the whole "only squatting is allowed in the squat rack!" crowd. Yeah...I said it!

Let me explain why....For example, if the squat rack happens to be free and I want to use it to do either heavy back rows (One of Arnold's favorite back exercises for mass), Olympic bar bicep curls (which is also a great mass builder) or Military overhead presses (I can overload and not have to worry about dropping the bar on the ground -- or my head!---due to the supports) then by god, I will do those exercises! And no, I will not do them at one of the bench stations instead. I need the mirror to see if I'm performing the movement correctly, and to prevent injuries from happening.

It's one thing if a person is a total slipshod and doesn't know or understand what exercise he/she is doing and why -- if that is the main reason why it is so frowned upon within the fitness community, then yes, I would totally understand being irked by that. But it's a completely different matter if the person has a plan in mind and wants to perform those exercises without having to deal with the dirty looks and other bullshit that ensues solely because the gassed up bodybuilder with 1 million followers on IG said it one time, so I guess it must be true cause "he'z Alpha af durrrrrr!!!"....smh.

I actually find bodybuilders and powerlifters that use the squat rack for squatting or deadlifting, load up the bar with almost every plate in the entire facility, only to do a few 1/4 squats on each set (absolutely pointless exercise--but I digress) while taking 10 min breaks and fiddling with his smartphone or chatting with someone for a lengthly period of time, more of a gym nuisance than the former.

Does anyone else agree with me? And if not, please post your reasons why?...

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Pet Peeve of mine, and I might catch some heat on here, but here it goes...I vehemently disagree with the whole "only squatting is allowed in the squat rack!" crowd. Yeah...I said it!

Let me explain why....For example, if the squat rack happens to be free and I want to use it to do either heavy back rows (One of Arnold's favorite back exercises for mass), Olympic bar bicep curls (which is also a great mass builder) or Military overhead presses (I can overload and not have to worry about dropping the bar on the ground -- or my head!---due to the supports) then by god, I will do those exercises! And no, I will not do them at one of the bench stations instead. I need the mirror to see if I'm performing the movement correctly, and to prevent injuries from happening.

It's one thing if a person is a total slipshod and doesn't know or understand what exercise he/she is doing and why -- if that is the main reason why it is so frowned upon within the fitness community, then yes, I would totally understand being irked by that. But it's a completely different matter if the person has a plan in mind and wants to perform those exercises without having to deal with the dirty looks and other bull**** that ensues solely because the gassed up bodybuilder with 1 million followers on IG said it one time, so I guess it must be true cause "he'z Alpha af durrrrrr!!!"....smh.

I actually find bodybuilders and powerlifters that use the squat rack for squatting or deadlifting, load up the bar with almost every plate in the entire facility, only to do a few 1/4 squats on each set (absolutely pointless exercise--but I digress) while taking 10 min breaks and fiddling with his smartphone or chatting with someone for a lengthly period of time, more of a gym nuisance than the former.

I agree. At most places there just isn't enough equipment or room to do certain things elsewhere.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

It's one thing if a person is a total slipshod and doesn't know or understand what exercise he/she is doing and why -- if that is the main reason why it is so frowned upon within the fitness community, then yes, I would totally understand being irked by that. But it's a completely different matter if the person has a plan in mind and wants to perform those exercises without having to deal with the dirty looks and other bull**** that ensues solely because the gassed up bodybuilder with 1 million followers on IG said it one time, so I guess it must be true cause "he'z Alpha af durrrrrr!!!"....smh.

Rows - yea sure, especially if its a squat rack with a platform so ya don't gotta worry about damaging the floors when going heavy.

OHP - asbolutely, it gets necessary to have the bar racked at shoulder height once you're going heavy enough.

Curls - get the f*** outta here. Literally the only reason anyone "uses" the rack on curls is to rest a bar, that's certainly light enough to easily pick up off the ground, on the rack in between sets. All that's needed is a bar and some floor space, and sure some mirror space is nice...which the majority of gyms have an abundance of.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Rows - yea sure, especially if its a squat rack with a platform so ya don't gotta worry about damaging the floors when going heavy.

OHP - asbolutely, it gets necessary to have the bar racked at shoulder height once you're going heavy enough.

Curls - get the **** outta here. Literally the only reason anyone "uses" the rack on curls is to rest a bar, that's certainly light enough to easily pick up off the ground, on the rack in between sets. All that's needed is a bar and some floor space, and sure some mirror space is nice...which the majority of gyms have an abundance of

But why would I or anyone else for that matter, walk an Olympic Bar over to the main dumbell area where it's definitely in the way of others and the exercises they're doing? Picture how awkward, obtrusive and possibly even dangerous that would be whizzing it around a group of people like that. Also, I don't know the rules for your gym, but you wouldn't be allowed to bring the bar into the studio at my gym due to the glass doorway and wood panel flooring.

I totally get what you're saying, but if the squat rack happens to be vacant when I want to do some heavy or drag curls; then either ask me how many sets I have left and I'll be quick as possible as a courtesy, or they can simply wait their turn--just like I do when I want to use a piece of equipment that's in use.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
But why would I or anyone else for that matter, walk an Olympic Bar over to the main dumbell area where it's definitely in the way of others and the exercises they're doing? Picture how awkward, obtrusive and possibly even dangerous that would be whizzing it around a group of people like that. Also, I don't know the rules for your gym, but you wouldn't be allowed to bring the bar into the studio at my gym due to the glass doorway and wood panel flooring.

I totally get what you're saying, but if the squat rack happens to be vacant when I want to do some heavy or drag curls; then either ask me how many sets I have left and I'll be quick as possible as a courtesy, or they can simply wait their turn--just like I do when I want to use a piece of equipment that's in use.

Obviously it's tough to speak on a specific situation at any gym without seeing the gym, they can vary a lot on size, layout, and equipment available. So, I can't say it's impossible that there exists a situation where I'd see curling in the squat rack as a realistic option, but a couple things here...

You don't need a 7ft bar to perform barbell curls. I believe every gym I've been a member of has those mini ~4ft ones that you can add plates onto, or even the designated weight bars (the racks of like 40,50,60,70,etc bars). And those are very easy to move around and manage.

In my gym at least, moving around the gym with a 7ft barbell isn't really complicated or risking hitting other people. I do it fairly regularly when I'm doing lighter work for the day and so don't really need to wait for one of the racks/platforms to free up. Though to be fair my gym's weight room used to be the basketball courts area...so it's pretty big.

As far as the like "it's just using equipment like anyone else, just wait til their finished" idea...there are certain types of equipment usage that, especially if you're in a crowded gym, is annoying as f***. And I don't think that's a controversial statement. There used to be a guy in my gym who would sit on 1 of the only 2 barbell benches to do forearm work with the freakin barbell. Or people (usually girls) doing hip thruster/butt work on one of the barbell benches, when there are plenty of the adjustable benches available. Or sometimes I see a guy who rolls one of the adjustable benches into the rack/plaform area to bench,even though there are standard bench press stations available.

The absolute worst I've seen was this one woman doing like...side to side lunges using one of the fixed bars in front of the rack. Legitimately not even using the rack at any point, and so I asked her when she finished a set if I could get in to start squatting. Only to be told no because she was "using the mirror". The f***? Most people are on a schedule when they go to the gym, they don't have all day and there's a limited amount of time and equipment to use. Blatantly misusing something that's the only way to do a certain movement is a clear breach of basic gym etiquette.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
things that piss me off at gym

• people hound a machine and then are texting on their phone and I am like WTF
  • people that work on 3 to 4 machines at a time claiming "am doing circuits" so do not touch either of them; yeah f*** YOU ASSHOLE
  • people sweating like pigs but don't wipe the equipment after they are done;
  • equipment/machine is broken for a week; i speak to the gym officials they give me a dirty look like i asked for their kidney (yup the f***ing GoodLife crew is a joke)

Where the f*** is gym etiquette? WHERE THE f*** IS IT?

even stone cold is pissed

Reactions: Rob

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I'm in a very small powerlifting gym with decent music most of the time. One guy in particular has to change the damn song for half his lifts to put his anime music on (and wait 45 seconds in). He'll do it mid-set on everyone else and couldn't care less. Don't touch the music until everyone's finished with their set when its not your radio.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
I personally like to do circuits, usually I do 3-4 exercises with 3 sets of each. I try to keep it all in the same spot but sometimes go from machine to machine or area. What’s the difference if I’m doing that and not taking any breaks in between than the guy that sits on one piece for 15 minutes and not letting anyone use that equipment? By the time he’s done one exercise, I’ve done at least four exercises with 3 sets of each. Plus I will never tell someone I’m using something and they can’t...

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I read a lot of this thread and I have to say most of y’all are babies. Be more flexible and you would enjoy life more.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
When the headphone cable catches on anything I rage :laugh: I have wireless over the earphones but sometimes I forget to charge them and have to plug them in to use. Always gets me.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

Best advice Id give you is stop caring what other people think ;)

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Can somebody tell me if this guy has drawn some undeserved ire from myself and other gym goers or if he deserves it. Every single Thursday from 7-8PM he ties up one of the 2 squat racks (usually the good one with adjustable sos pegs) to do regular and inclined bench when there are specifically set up bench, incline, and decline benches set up maybe 20 feet away. I almost flipped on him tonight because WHY DO YOU DRAG A BENCH INTO A RACK WHEN THERE ARE ALREADY BENCHES AND BARS SET UP.

Reactions: irunthepeg

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
The pop "music" station that my gym keeps playing. It's aggravating... literally it's unbearable and I have to leave the weight room when I rest to keep my sanity.

This stupid zoomba, biking and all sorts of group classes where these soccer moms need to broadcast their circle jerk work out to the whole gym by yelling and blasting the music.

People that won't shut up and will keep talking to me when I'm about to lift.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Can somebody tell me if this guy has drawn some undeserved ire from myself and other gym goers or if he deserves it. Every single Thursday from 7-8PM he ties up one of the 2 squat racks (usually the good one with adjustable sos pegs) to do regular and inclined bench when there are specifically set up bench, incline, and decline benches set up maybe 20 feet away. I almost flipped on him tonight because WHY DO YOU DRAG A BENCH INTO A RACK WHEN THERE ARE ALREADY BENCHES AND BARS SET UP.

Does he use a different bench angle? Does he utilize the safety pegs?

There could be valid reasons for using a rack.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Most commercial benches are pure trash when it comes to hook height and bench width. Check his form and how he's pressing. If it looks like he's lifting like a pure meathead then yes he's most likely being selfish. If it looks like he's lifting with arch and proper form, he's most likely some form of competitive powerlifter (bench only or full meet) and it's alot safer/set up properly compared to a generic commercial bench that does not adjust.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
My newest pet peeve is when people take 3+ minutes between sets while not lifting heavy by any means. Why are you even at the gym if you’re only going to do a set like every 5 minutes and talk/text during it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad