<Blank> makes you mad at the gym (or working out at home)

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
This old quite heavy dude who does his post-shower/pre-work hair fixing session completely naked in front of the mirror in the middle of the locker room. Would it kill the guy to throw a pair of boxers on or keep a freaking towel around his waist to do this?

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Another one, people who don't seem to know basic arithmetic. There was a guy this morning who was benching a 45 lbs plate as well as 3 10 lbs plates on each side. Why not simply go 45+25+5 instead of hogging 6 10 lbs plates?

Oct 18, 2011
This old quite heavy dude who does his post-shower/pre-work hair fixing session completely naked in front of the mirror in the middle of the locker room. Would it kill the guy to throw a pair of boxers on or keep a freaking towel around his waist to do this?

How about "Guy who doesn't close the curtains while showering "?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
At the gym right now and I immediatly thought of thid thread.

My gym only has 5 squat racks and theyre currently all taken, usually I dont mind, because I do a lot of mobility (15 minutes at least) but right now its pissing me off.

The five dudes have been there for 25 minutes.

One is quarter squatting a plate, the other has his bar set up to squat and is doing some stupid circuit with curls, rows and abs in it, the other is going straight to snap city.

My gym is the worst today

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
Another one, people who don't seem to know basic arithmetic. There was a guy this morning who was benching a 45 lbs plate as well as 3 10 lbs plates on each side. Why not simply go 45+25+5 instead of hogging 6 10 lbs plates?

That's not completely unheard of. Could be doing either drop sets or pyramid sets.

Now if the gym was packed and people were needing those plates, then it's something to be pissed about.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
That's not completely unheard of. Could be doing either drop sets or pyramid sets.

Now if the gym was packed and people were needing those plates, then it's something to be pissed about.

That's me. I pyramid so I'll use a series of smaller weights. But there's usually lots of extra plates around for everyone to use.

My pet peeve is MMA-guy.
He's constantly telling people how he used to compete but wrecked <insert body part here>.
He's decided to get back in shape so he can choke mother effers out again.
Uses the words "f**k" and 'brah' to exhaustion.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
At the gym right now and I immediatly thought of thid thread.

My gym only has 5 squat racks and theyre currently all taken, usually I dont mind, because I do a lot of mobility (15 minutes at least) but right now its pissing me off.

The five dudes have been there for 25 minutes.

One is quarter squatting a plate, the other has his bar set up to squat and is doing some stupid circuit with curls, rows and abs in it, the other is going straight to snap city.

My gym is the worst today

I don't get it. Even when i'm really working on something (deadlift/squat/bench more than likely) the most i'm ever there is like 10-15. I couldn't imagine being there a second over 15. And if i'm staying that long somewhere, i make sure i'm aware if something is open. If there aren't open benches or racks, i'll move quicker.

That's awful sounding.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't get it. Even when i'm really working on something (deadlift/squat/bench more than likely) the most i'm ever there is like 10-15. I couldn't imagine being there a second over 15. And if i'm staying that long somewhere, i make sure i'm aware if something is open. If there aren't open benches or racks, i'll move quicker.

That's awful sounding.

To be honest, I hug the bars a long time too. Especially on my squat days where I go 4+4 on Back and front squats plus warm up good mornings/squats/deads, but im not going around the gym doing everything at my disposal, I'm putting work at this spot. I wouldn't exactly mind it if someone would spend 20 minutes on the bar, but if the bar is used only 4 minutes in those twenty, you can bet ill be fuming.

I also always ask people that seem to be lurking around if they want to tag along. (It's a lot easier to unload 150 lbs of plates instead of 300 :laugh:)

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
  • people who go to the gym to do bodyweight exercises and take up way too much space
  • people who are not dressed appropriately, such as wearing dress clothes
  • not cleaning off the equipment no matter how little you used it

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Randy - the bodyweight thing isn't fair, unless they are really taking up to much room. Some people could live in an apartment that they can't jump around or do anything at. They may also be doing other exercises with weights?

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
To be honest, I hug the bars a long time too. Especially on my squat days where I go 4+4 on Back and front squats plus warm up good mornings/squats/deads, but im not going around the gym doing everything at my disposal, I'm putting work at this spot. I wouldn't exactly mind it if someone would spend 20 minutes on the bar, but if the bar is used only 4 minutes in those twenty, you can bet ill be fuming.

I also always ask people that seem to be lurking around if they want to tag along. (It's a lot easier to unload 150 lbs of plates instead of 300 :laugh:)

Yea length of time on the rack/platform is situational. If you're doing heavy work and need 2-3 min rests, the time adds up...but it's reasonable. Or if you're doing squats followed by deads, again, the time adds up. But if you're doing some ****en circuit where you're doing cleans and then running halfway across the gym to do box jumps and 2 mins on the rowing machine (****en crossfitters), so out of the 20-25 mins you're "using" the platform you're only there for 2-3 mins...****'s gonna get annoying real quick.

Or this other guy I saw last week...was doing squats and then deadlifts (perfectly reasonable) and then after his last set of deads he takes off all the plates, put 10 lbs on each side and starting doing curls in the rack. :rant: My gym has 3 rack/platform combos...so they're definitely at a premium, curling at the rack is a definite no-no.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Randy - the bodyweight thing isn't fair, unless they are really taking up to much room. Some people could live in an apartment that they can't jump around or do anything at. They may also be doing other exercises with weights?

I know it's not fair, but it still bothers me. :laugh:

And I've come to the realization that you're one of these people.

Last edited:

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
the guys at my gym will freely shower with the curtains OPEN, why. why would you do this? some suspect stuff goes on, today all 8 showers were open, i go into one first, and the next two dudes go into the two right next to me, when there are 4 free ones across the way....
There are curtains and walls dude, who cares.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
  • people who go to the gym to do bodyweight exercises and take up way too much space
  • people who are not dressed appropriately, such as wearing dress clothes
  • not cleaning off the equipment no matter how little you used it

I will never understand why people complain about this? Quite honestly what does it matter what people are wearing? Assuming they're body is covered or whatever.

Personally I would never wear jeans to workout, but what does it matter to me if a guy is?

I also don't really mind the body weight people. Even if they can do it somewhere else, there's some simple motivation/inspiration in simply going to the gym for some. I myself don't do many body weight exercise (aside from pull ups), but if I did, I'd still probably go to the gym to do it. I have workout equipment at home that turned out to be pretty much a waste of money because I struggle to "get in the zone" at home. Too many distractions. That said, body weight people also need to be respectful of space. It's not hard to find a spot off to the side to do pushups. If they just refuse to do that, and insist on getting in the middle of everyone or something, then I agree with you.

As for my personal pet peeves:

Biggest one for me is large groups. Maybe it's because I'm older now, but I despise summer at the gym. Give me the new year's eve group any day over these highschool kids who think it's cool, smart, whatever to work out in groups of 4 or 5 on same piece of equipment. I honestly think 3 is too much. However, 4 or 5 on one machine is just bad. It doesn't make any sense rest wise, and it ties the equipment up too long. The worst is when they all talk. Why in the hell is no one doing a set when there's 4 or 5 of you?

Guys that grunt/yell way too much. I don't mind something on those difficult reps or every now and then, but there are guys in there that literally yell or grunt insanely loud every freaking rep. Shut the **** up. It's an attention thing. There's no reason I should hear them over my headphones. That's nuts.

guys that walk with their damn arms wide as **** for no reason. If no one is around them, whatever. I think that's kinda funny/lame, but I don't mind it. However, they'll be coming down the hall from locker room and refuse to put them down... so dumb. They would literally brush against my sweaty body than put their arms down. :help:

other two are common ones: people that don't wipe down their equipment and people that don't re-rerack their weights.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Curls in the squat rack. Classic. But happened today.

At our gym we have 2 squat racks and 3 flat bench set ups (not including dumbbell). We have 4 curl bars near the dumbbells, a bazillion dumbbells, about 4-5 bicep machines, and 4 areas of cables... yet STILL people go to those 2 squat racks/3 flat bench set ups to do their curls. :laugh:

I'll never get it. You can do curls so many different ways. Why stand in a squat rack or flat bench area to do it? Why?!

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
My gym has one squat rack, one flat bench, and one smith machine all in one corner. my biggest complaint is that there is always a line-up to use these, and we need more. Even worse, there are only 2 actual bars for the whole gym, so if someone takes on to do decline bench or deadlifts or something, the squat rack or flat bench are useless.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My gym has one squat rack, one flat bench, and one smith machine all in one corner. my biggest complaint is that there is always a line-up to use these, and we need more. Even worse, there are only 2 actual bars for the whole gym, so if someone takes on to do decline bench or deadlifts or something, the squat rack or flat bench are useless.

I hope you dont pay big bucks for this gym.

My gym has 3 squat racks and three benches plus three smiths and id say it need half as more.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I hope you dont pay big bucks for this gym.

My gym has 3 squat racks and three benches plus three smiths and id say it need half as more.

I don't, it's at the local community center. I pay $80 for 20 passes which lasts me 2-3 months. The monthly fee is only about $40 I think.

I checked out another place called "Fit 4 Less" which has a bunch of locations across Canada, the place was HUGE, had what seemed like hundreds of cardio machines, and all the weights and benches were crammed into one corner, and there seemed to be as many people waiting to use them as there were actually lifting. So given the alternatives, I'm not going to complain too much.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Yeah I would just choose a new gym. Sometimes that sucks because location is everything. But I'd literally drive 10-15 more minutes for the proper equipment.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I will never understand why people complain about this? Quite honestly what does it matter what people are wearing? Assuming they're body is covered or whatever.

Personally I would never wear jeans to workout, but what does it matter to me if a guy is?

2 things..

1) Every single gym has a dress code that includes not wearing jeans or sandals. It should be followed.

2) I'm with Randy. Don't wear jeans or sandals in the gym. Especially sandals while you are lifting around so many weights. That's so dangerous and stupid.

Wear gym attire. That's not too difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->