<Blank> makes you mad at the gym (or working out at home)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Let's get this board poppin' a bit. Very simple and easy thread. Just fill in the blank - <blank> makes you mad at the gym (or working out at home).

1) Forgetting my headphones or gum. That really pisses me off.

2) When people throw (typically meat heads) throw weight around for no other reason but to look cool. We get it... you use a lot of 45s. Stop throwing them. It's loud and annoying and nobody cares how much you lift because you still have a beer belly. Go do some cardio. :sarcasm::laugh:

But seriously.. why the hell do people THROW weights? Just set them down. Be cordial.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Agreed with the headphones and gum. I love chewing gum while working out.

Other people not me.

Not putting weights away.

Continuously staring at good looking girls. This is the reason why they go to other gyms and or the women only section.

****** form especially on the bench

Claiming a PR when the spotter did some work.

People that half rep.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Occupying my mirror space to do random BS or just stand around when I'm lifting heavy, especially deadlifts

Using benches or squat/power racks for things that don't require benches or squat/power racks when there are no vacant benches or squat/power racks

Lifting (usually curls) either right beside the weight rack or in a main artery of gym traffic

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Lifting (usually curls) either right beside the weight rack or in a main artery of gym traffic

Very good one that I forgot! That is frustrating when I need to grab 2 dumbells for something and someone is standing there doing curls RIGHT in front of all the weights. :laugh:

Not wiping down the equipment. People have left pools of sweat on the bench.

That one blows my mind. I feel like I'm one of the very few who constantly have papertowels beside my bench or area to wipe down. It takes two seconds!

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Using benches or squat/power racks for things that don't require benches or squat/power racks when there are no vacant benches or squat/power racks

I told myself that when I started working out again I wouldn't lose my patience with people using up the squat/power racks for foolishness. I would not be that guy that worships at the Altar of Squatting.
I think I lasted three weeks before asking someone if they wouldn't mind curling somewhere else. I lasted two months before unloading someone's bar that was taking 4 minute breaks between curl sets in the power rack.

It's fine if there's a whole bank of racks, but if there are 3 or less and the gym's busy...take the curling somewhere else.

The only exception I have for this is if someone's doing some real power sets for dumbbell shrugs or something. Dude's shrugging with 150+ lb. dumbbells, I can wait for him to complete his set.
They're by the rack in case they start to drop the things.

My personal ones:

People bringing brats into the gym. Even if there is a day-care thing, they really need to keep them out.
I tore a ligament in my knee a few years ago when a 6-year old tried to vault me when I was doing a lot of weight on a leg press. Injured my back pretty good a couple of months ago when another kid basically ran into me when I was doing deadlifts.
Plus, I drop a plate or two on a kid because I don't see them and there's going to be some pretty serious injuries.

Also, the aforementioned not cleaning up the equipment...just ew. I sweat a lot myself, especially on HIT days. I still take the time to wipe stuff down, even if it costs me a minute or so additional between stations.

People trying to reserve multiple pieces of equipment for too damned long.
Doing a rotation between, say, 3 pieces I can understand and if the gym's not busy and they're not high-use pieces that's cool.
But reserving 5-6 stations at 6:00 PM, when they're all important ones? Pistols at dawn.
(Not saying people that allow others to work in, I'm talking about the ones who reserve like 5-6 stations and lose their mind if someone touches their settings)

One of the things I look forward to once I come back home and have the ability to stay permanently is building my own gym. I don't care if I have to drive hundreds of miles to pick up the necessary equipment, I will have a quality gym in my house.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I told myself that when I started working out again I wouldn't lose my patience with people using up the squat/power racks for foolishness. I would not be that guy that worships at the Altar of Squatting.
I think I lasted three weeks before asking someone if they wouldn't mind curling somewhere else. I lasted two months before unloading someone's bar that was taking 4 minute breaks between curl sets in the power rack.

Thankfully at my gym, there's no curling in the squat racks. And if someone does, one dirty look from pretty much anyone gets them moving elsewhere.

The one that ticks me off though is when they're doing sets of circuits that don't need the rack, except for maybe one exercise out of 10... all in the rack so you can't swap in. And even that one exercise they're doing they could start from the floor if required since it isn't that heavy for them.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
People who use the power rack to do arm curls when there's plenty of dumbbells AND a curling rack.

Guys (usually the same ones who do curls at the power rack) who load up on the Axe Body Spray before going to the gym.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Thankfully at my gym, there's no curling in the squat racks. And if someone does, one dirty look from pretty much anyone gets them moving elsewhere.

The one that ticks me off though is when they're doing sets of circuits that don't need the rack, except for maybe one exercise out of 10... all in the rack so you can't swap in. And even that one exercise they're doing they could start from the floor if required since it isn't that heavy for them.

Circuit training is hard to do at any public gym. I can't stand guys who take up 3-4 of the most popular/used equipment. If you are doing circuit, it's best that you do dumbbell stuff because you can put it in one area and continue on.

And this comes from someone who LOVES circuit training. I just cannot allow myself to do it at a gym because it takes too much away from others.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
By far my #1 gripe is not putting the weights away properly.
After years and years of seeing this in my gym, I finally had it and gave it to another member for putting a 35, then a 45lb plate in front of the stack of 10's.
I asked him if he didn't notice the 2 empty pins to place the 35 and 45 plates.
I then asked him what's the point of coming to the gym and combating laziness if you can't even put weights back properly.
I also told him that by doing what he did was not only lazy, but incredibly selfish for other members. What if someone wanted a 10? Now they have to move HIS 35 and 45 aside.
I really laid into this kid letting him know that he's not living in the Matrix where he's the only 'real person' alive and that when he shut his eyes the world stopped moving and all living organisms disappeared only to reappear when he woke up.

This kid looked shellshocked. I hate to paint all with the same brush, but I see this a lot from kids 25 and younger.
I work in a building that shares space with a young company where they hire a lot of kids straight out of college. A great majority of them are **********.
Which brings me to my next pet-peeve; MMA guy.

You know him. He has really original tattoo's like Chinese characters, barbed wire around the bicep and tribal tats.
He then talks about how he's rehabbing <insert body part here> so he can get back in the cage and choke 'mother-effers' out.
Every other word is the 'F-word', 'brah', 'dude' and 'sick'.
He'll then move on to how much money he's making and all the girls that want to nail him.

I swear, if someone would invent a sleeveless, collared Affliction shirt, it would sell like hotcakes.
Not only could you show off the pipes, but you could also pop dat colla while lifting.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Crossfitters in a regular gym.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to keep from bursting out laughing mid-squat when you see the reflection of some ****** doing flopping-fish pullups in the mirror?

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Crossfitters in a regular gym.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to keep from bursting out laughing mid-squat when you see the reflection of some ****** doing flopping-fish pullups in the mirror?

Or taking up half the gym for their 4 different stations?

"Hey, you mind if I use the one and only squat rack in the entire gym to, you know, actually squat?"
"Yes I mind. I like to use the chin-up bar on the rack to flop-fish. I'll be back in 14 minutes to finish my 2nd set. Don't touch it."

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I workout at home. Too much annoying shut at a gym. Plus I need silence (atleast during heavy lifts like Deadlift, Squats, bench press). At home I hate when people are coming in my room while I'm working out and talking mid-rep. I don't mind during some but the heavy lifts? Come on.

At the gym I hated girls who would come in, makeup on and take selfies in the mirror.

Hated seeing half reps.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
There's a guy at my gym who wears the exact same thing every. single. day. that he comes into the gym. And he's there, on average, 4 out of 5 week days. And this isn't like something I have to pay close attention to, like a plain black/grey shirt or something where he could have several of them. A unique black and yellow graphic tee and grey shorts with a red stripe down the side. I fear going over to whatever area he's in due to the potential stank.

Another one is this moron on the leg press. He does what I can only call "power calf raises" on it where he uses a lot of leg strength to push the sled hard enough that the sled hits the metal ends of the leg press...over and over and over and over. Basically metal on metal slamming for sets of 15-20. So ****ing annoying.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Huge dude bros who refuse to work their lower body or do cardio. I imagine they have been told those machines are electrified and they will die if they use them. They seem to wear a uniform where Beats By Dre giant headphones and a shaker full of their favorite supplements can be enjoyed.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
A couple of things for me:

At the gym I go to there are rooms that are used for fitness classes, when they aren't in use anyone can go workout in them, which I do because it's quieter and there is usually hardly anyone in them. There is a speaker system in there that is used for the classes. My gripe is when people go in there (when I'm already in there and no class is on) and hook their phone up to the speaker system and crank the music (where I can hear their music over top of the music on my headphones). I asked one guy to turn it down and he's like 'that bothers you'. I had to explain to him that every one at the gym has their own headphones and listens to the music they want to listen to and he should probably do the same.

The second is people who wear their outside shoes in the locker room, tracking mud and dirt all over the floor.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Not putting the weights back. Flexing in the mirror and taking selfies. If you want to do that do it at home.

Biggest peeve is not wipping the beches down. Seriously get a towel.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Another one is this moron on the leg press. He does what I can only call "power calf raises" on it where he uses a lot of leg strength to push the sled hard enough that the sled hits the metal ends of the leg press...over and over and over and over. Basically metal on metal slamming for sets of 15-20. So ****ing annoying.

We have an idiot on the leg press too. Strong boy but he puts on ridiculous amounts of weights on and does half reps. During the day is ok but when he does in the afteroon/evening when its busy its really inconvenient because people start to run out of plates to use.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

A few years back there was a guy who would take this to the extreme. He loaded as many 45s on the hack squat. He then put 45s on top of it because he ran out of room. He literally moved like 2cms. A bigger guy needed a few 45s because he was deadlifting a lot of weight. He looks over and sees this tool. He calls him out and calls him an idiot and makes fun of him.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Not having enough space (at home) or the right space and being interrupted/prevented from doing a full workout (doesnt happen much).

Its a lot easier for me to work out at home since i have a 3 year old daughter and another on the way in December. I have an ok setup down there in my basement but the ceilings are low. Problem with that is I cant do any explosive speed training because i cant jump and since im a tall guy i cant fully extend a dumbell over my head when doing a one leg russian deadlift. That pretty much kills the exercise and i think its one of the reasons why i havent been as explosive as id like to be starting this fall season.

We are looking for a new house so im hoping to get a basement with a larger ceiling height. IF i cant then im going to have to get a gym membership or go outside at night to do the exercises. Also there are some exercises like sprints and stuff that I have to find a spot to do them. Theres a field nearby but i work out at night so that would be weird.

Last edited:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Lol at the guy above me. Find it funny because I am the EXACT same way with the exact same problems. Any lifts over my head have to be done sitting. Being interrupted is a HUGE pet peeve especially when people know I'm working out. Love home workouts since I have a 4 year old. He also has a weight bench with weights (plastic of course) so sometimes if it's a day I want to take a bit slower it gives us quality time.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
when people try to start a conversation when im IN THE ZONE lol

Or when attempting a PR.

I have ranted about this one in the strength thread but saw a good one today. Guys who spot on bench and have their hands on the bar on every rep. Tonight, a guy was doing 185, by himself he struggled with 3 reps. Definitely could not have done more but with the spotter he did 5 reps. Puts 225 on. With the spotter he did 7 reps. Spotter says all you despite having his hands on the bar. The guy on the bench kind of question the spotter's technique and the spotter said having your hands on the bar makes it easier. No **** that is why you don't do it. You are stealing his gains and ruining his workout you dumb ****.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know.. I HATE spotting people because there are so many variables. I usually ask before the set.

1) Do you want a hard lift or a guided lift? I hate people who lift the **** out of my hands. Ridiculous.

2) Do you want me to guide all the way for safety or do you want me to let you struggle a bit before? It's really tough to gauge when someone needs help if you barely know them.

There are too many variables. I hate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->