Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I still like Wheeler but I'm excited to see Perrault back on the third line...

My only swap would be PLD to wing and Stats to Centre on the second

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
For all the shit slung here, we get a glimpse of the Jets without Wheeler.
So reflect and see how you feel.
Wheeler has slowed down but hot damn he’s GOOD

I like this.

Yes, age will do its thing. That said, and almost incomprehensibly to me, Kap is a frequently used whipping boy on this space. "Almost", because I do understand why, with respect to various board member's perceptions.

These things include:
- his strong personality (reflected during some interviews);
- strangely, his incredible durability (taken for granted, he will always be playing);
- and finally, his AAV. Many define this as the bottom line, perhaps necessary or something to keep in mind. Nonetheless it tends to suck the fun out of an otherwise intelligent discussion. :laugh:

YMMV

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I like this.

Yes, age will do its thing. That said, and almost incomprehensibly to me, Kap is a frequently used whipping boy on this space. "Almost", because I do understand why, with respect to various board member's perceptions.

These things include:
- his strong personality (reflected during some interviews);
- strangely, his incredible durability (taken for granted, he will always be playing);
- and finally, his AAV. Many define this as the bottom line, perhaps necessary or something to keep in mind. Nonetheless it tends to suck the fun out of an otherwise intelligent discussion. :laugh:

YMMV

It’s fun to use the Piney picture but I still think he’s a good player.
He’s a heart on his sleeve type of person and that’s not for everyone but the bottom line is he’s contributing.
Father Time still undefeated

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Connor -Scheifele - Ehlers
Stastny- Dubois - Vesalainen
Copp - Lowry - Appleton
Perrault - Thompson - Lewis

That's what I'd try. I could see vesalainen playing well with those two guys who play a style thats suits him.
Harkins is the better player than Ves, plus he's been biding his time on the taxi squad.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I guess he's not travelling for the next few games but do we think it'll be much longer than that?

With concussions you never know. He didn't come on this 5 game road trip (which is about 10% of the season) and he won't play again before the trade deadline.

I personally hope they're just being extra cautious because this gives him some time with his other injury as well. He could also be done for his career. We don't know.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
his strong personality (reflected during some interviews)

He’s a heart on his sleeve type of person and that’s not for everyone

Wheeler has the spirit of a true competitor and winner. He's everything you could ever want in a captain and especially as a teammate.

It's a shame more people don't see this.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Wheeler has the spirit of a true competitor and winner. He's everything you could ever want in a captain and especially as a teammate.

It depends where the line starts and stops for me.
I think he was the best choice for Captain then and now. Very strong personalities tend to be controversial.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
PLD effusive in his praise of Wheeler's leadership:

Doesn't seem like the toxic presence that Laine fans claimed Wheeler was, I guess Wheeler must have gotten his claws in PLD already. :sarcasm:

Reactions: SLAYER and Deedog99

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
PLD effusive in his praise of Wheeler's leadership:

Doesn't seem like the toxic presence that Laine fans claimed Wheeler was, I guess Wheeler must have gotten his claws in PLD already. :sarcasm:

I think Laine himself spoke highly of Wheeler.

Reactions: Nedarb

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Free Press with article praising Wheeler. I guess Mike still wants his access. "We will never have a athlete like this again" Well count me happy Wheeler has led this franchise to 2 playoff wins and 4 years in playoffs in 10 years

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Free Press with article praising Wheeler. I guess Mike still wants his access. "We will never have a athlete like this again" Well count me happy Wheeler has led this franchise to 2 playoff wins and 4 years in playoffs in 10 years
So very unfair to pin that on one player.

Blake Wheeler has been a consistently high points producer and very good passer. He gives his all every game. He's a great pro and a great citizen. He fell in love with Winnipeg and embraced the city, and has done a lot for the community.

A great way for us to retain players is to shit on guys who've done pretty much everything they can to make the fans happy.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Blake Wheeler has been a consistently high points producer and very good passer. He gives his all every game. He's a great pro and a great citizen. He fell in love with Winnipeg and embraced the city, and has done a lot for the community.

A great way for us to retain players is to shit on guys who've done pretty much everything they can to make the fans happy.
Couldn't agree more. Both him and his wife also do an amazing amount of charity work in the city. Crapping on the guy is just pathetic IMO.

Section 325

Nov 5, 2014
Calgary, AB

@Jet I completely agree with you

The only issues I have ever had with Wheeler is that he just gets way too much ice-time and he doesn't seem to be reigned in when he's not playing well. Both of those are issues of coaching and not a statement about him or his ability as a player.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Clearly. Guy must have forgot Bergeron playing with a collapsed lung. Seguin with a torn up hip and quad... Shit happens Every year.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Clearly. Guy must have forgot Bergeron playing with a collapsed lung. Seguin with a torn up hip and quad... Shit happens Every year.
You sure that was a collapsed lung and not a small hole in it???
It'd be pretty hard to play hockey with a collapsed lung.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Just wanted to say.
Wheeler doesn't score a LOT of goals but lots of the goals he scores are big and/or timely goals.

Reactions: DuckyGirard

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario

Plus he is respected in the league and part of the reason other players will consider coming to Winnipeg. That is part of the equation that the Jets have to deal with even if it gets overlooked by armchair quarterbacks who act as though all of the league's teams are interchangeable and have the same access to talent at the same price.

Reactions: KingBogo

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
You sure that was a collapsed lung and not a small hole in it???
It'd be pretty hard to play hockey with a collapsed lung.
Punctured lung. Sorry don't remember the exact details. Point is players have played through grueling injuries in the past and will continue to do so. McIntyres point that we'll never see an player like this again is absurd

Reactions: 10Ducky10

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I would love to see you play hockey, take hits, block shots, go from 0 to 15 miles an hour then back to zero then back up again in space of a few seconds, get shoved into the boards while having a cracked rib if you think that is such an unremarkable thing to do.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I would love to see you play hockey, take hits, block shots, go from 0 to 15 miles an hour then back to zero then back up again in space of a few seconds, get shoved into the boards while having a cracked rib if you think that is such an unremarkable thing to do.

I did MMA as a hobby (not competitively) for about 8-9 years and played organized hockey (various levels, not professional) for about 15 years. I suffered various injuries over the years:

- Concussion (crashed into goalpost at full speed), still have scar on my face as a reminder (I was knocked out).

- Broke a couple toes.

- Dislocated my thumb three times.

- Countless bruises & minor cuts.

- But by far the most painful injury (got it doing MMA) was when I dislocated the cartilage from my ribs. Similar pain as broken ribs as per my doctor. A person has no clue how much you use your core muscles until you have a similar injury. I had pain & hard time doing everything.....laughing, sneezing, coughing, sitting up, laying down, rolling over, literally almost everything you use your core. The injury lasted with me for weeks before I was finally back to normal, I can’t imagine playing hockey through it. One can wrap the ribs which helps protect them, but it’s still very painful.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I did MMA as a hobby (not competitively) for about 8-9 years and played organized hockey (various levels, not professional) for about 15 years. I suffered various injuries over the years:

- Concussion (crashed into goalpost at full speed), still have scar on my face as a reminder (I was knocked out).

- Broke a couple toes.

- Dislocated my thumb three times.

- Countless bruises & minor cuts.

- But by far the most painful injury (got it doing MMA) was when I dislocated the cartilage from my ribs. Similar pain as broken ribs as per my doctor. A person has no clue how much you use your core muscles until you have a similar injury. I had pain & hard time doing everything.....laughing, sneezing, coughing, sitting up, laying down, rolling over, literally almost everything you use your core. The injury lasted with me for weeks before I was finally back to normal, I can’t imagine playing hockey through it. One can wrap the ribs which helps protect them, but it’s still very painful.
I fractured two ribs (near where they meet the backbone) when I was taken out (accidently, I hope) by a teammate. Like you noted, it was the most painful injury that I can recall. I didn't play for two weeks but the doctor said that the ribs were healing OK and he thought that I was good to go, so I did. I didn't play all that well and the pain lasted about another month but the pre-game medication certainly helped. Here's hoping that Wheeler is fully recovered and can carry on with strong playoff series or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->