Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Wheeler has looked better the past 2 games, after the prior several dismal performances. He is finally playing with some pace to his game and pressuring better on the forecheck.

Regardless of your thoughts on Wheeler we can all agree that is a positive for the team.

Prior to the past 2 games I was fearful that Wheelers game had completely fallen Off the cliff with 3 years and 25mill left on his contract. He has regressed for sure but thankfully not to a disastrous level, that most likely he was playing injured.

It would be very unlikely for Wheeler to have fallen from where he was at the end of last season to where he is earlier this season just due to age related reasons. Even guys like Lucic, Ladd, Neal didn't fall off that dramatically at 5 on 5. They couldn't score anymore but their 5v5 metrics still didn't have a dramatic impact as Wheeler's did between last season and this. Which is why there has to be an injury or some other explanation. That's not to say that he's not experience age related decline, he very likely is but I doubt it is as pronounced as one might imagine just looking at his 5v5 stats. I agree that he has looked much better since the Ottawa series.

Reactions: ps241 and Krauser

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Good to see a strong game from Wheeler. Looked much more like his 2018 self in terms of speed and aggression and a few nifty passes to set up PLD -- as Sawyer reminded us.

Reactions: HarvHQC

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I think we can lay to rest the fatal decline of Blake Wheeler narrative.
He looked strong and fast last night, and drove that line on quite a few shifts. His board play last night was masterful, especially on the Scheif's goal and the play on winning OT goal.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Looked good last night. lets hope he keeps it up and the slow 15ish games start was merely a blip or injury related

Reactions: HarvHQC

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I've been a harsh critic of Wheeler's this year (and in past years when he slumps), but he was good in what I saw of last night's game. A better Wheeler is better for the Jets.

I hope that the 'better wheeler' wasn't just because PLD was on the other wing, because that isn't going to persist.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Funny you bring those two up, last game Ehlers turns the puck over in the defensive end, Vancouver gets a good scoring opportunity off it, but hellebuyck makes the save and the whistle blows. Scheifele, Wheeler and PLD come on and the face off was lost and Vancouver scores.

that goal against was much more Ehlers fault than it was Wheelers.

Wheeler get another “-“ in his 5v5 +\- that everyone is so fixated on and no one is really talking about how if Ehlers didn’t turn that puck over that goal never would have happened.

I just find it funny how Ehlers mistakes never seem to get talk about here. But whoever the whipping boy is during month/season seems to get over analyzed and everything little detail ends up being their fault.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
A bit rich for McIntyre to try to coddle Wheeler now, after basically blaming him for a toxic locker room culture and for driving Laine out of town.

What is it about Wheeler? I remember him being on Hustler and Lawless one off-season after the 'Atlanta Five' stuff and having Lawless begging forgiveness at the end. "I reported some things [*gurgle, gasp*] that were out of line, and it was big of you to come here and talk with us..."

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
What is it about Wheeler? I remember him being on Hustler and Lawless one off-season after the 'Atlanta Five' stuff and having Lawless begging forgiveness at the end. "I reported some things [*gurgle, gasp*] that were out of line, and it was big of you to come here and talk with us..."

Young Gary and Mac both tend(ed) to sling the gossip a bit too much and I think with Wheels that crosses his line in the sand and he tunes them up for it.

honestly why do the local reporters even need to tell the juicy tale when the entire city of Winnipeg has the dirt shared, invented, or manufactured. Gossip girls central don’t need any help from the media unless it’s TMZ or the national enquirer to amplify our story. :help::laugh:

Reactions: KingBogo

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
right?

you beat me too it, Tyre fire trying to claim the high ground on any Wheeler story is comical.

A bit rich for McIntyre to try to coddle Wheeler now, after basically blaming him for a toxic locker room culture and for driving Laine out of town.

So much drama. What is it with McIntyre?

Reactions: SLAYER

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I am a big fan of Murat Ates. He works his ass off to create unique and compelling content.

Guys like McIntyre and Wiecek rub me the wrong way in an era when too many good people are losing their jobs in Radio, TV, and Print.

Ates is very good, but he's issued a few mea culpas in the past few weeks, wonder if there's a bit of friction there now. Agree that McIntyre and Friesen/Wie are hacks, but it's a tough gig too -- write critically and lose your access, write eulogistically and deal with the wrath of fans, especially where the owner is also such a major player in the economic and political life of the market. Wiebe tends to be a "just the facts" guy now, which is dull but fine.

Solution seems to be the Murat path -- hire smarter, better writers who aren't fishing for clickbait.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ates is very good, but he's issued a few mea culpas in the past few weeks, wonder if there's a bit of friction there now. Agree that McIntyre and Friesen/Wie are hacks, but it's a tough gig too -- write critically and lose your access, write eulogistically and deal with the wrath of fans, especially where the owner is also such a major player in the economic and political life of the market. Wiebe tends to be a "just the facts" guy now, which is dull but fine.

Solution seems to be the Murat path -- hire smarter, better writers who aren't fishing for clickbait.

100% agree with your post.

I reached out to Murat just before he got tuned up by Paul and just let him know I thought Icarus might be getting a bit close to the sun. I also asked Murat if things were ok since I hadn't heard him asking questions post game to coach Paul and his tend to be the only questions that interest me. I sense he got a good solid brush back pitch. I think Murat has it about right but he did start taking it to a point I thought he was going to get legit push back.

It is a dance and if you want to survive you learn how to do it right.

Guys like Wiecek rubbed me the wrong way because he was crappy and then I heard an interview with him on the Big Show and he was waxing on about how he chased Trouba to the ends of the earth to finally break the story of him wanting out (or something to that degree). It was just this really sad little mans syndrome moment where he was almost talking in a slang of a grizzled hard hitting reporter from the old movie's that broke the big story? Weird self promoting interview for a half a story. The talented people don't need to brag because their body of work is enough. He coupled this with an old school city view of Winnipeg sucks..... anti TNSE.... anti everything type attitude that I think plays to the worst of negative stereotypes. He was trying to lean into playing the bad guy but he was a low end Indi circuit wrestling heel at best.

I also agree Wiebe is polite and boring.

Bottom line for me is I don't really mind the local coverage of the Jets and Bombers. For the most part I ignore the guys I think are shills or hacks but I do chirp them on here once in a while.

Last edited:

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
100% agree with your post.

I reached out to Murat just before he got tuned up by Paul and just let him know I thought Icarus might be getting a bit close to the sun. I also asked Murat if things were ok since I hadn't heard him asking questions post game to coach Paul and his tend to be the only questions that interest me. I sense he got a good solid brush back pitch. I think Murat has it about right but he did start taking it to a point I thought he was going to get legit push back.

It is a dance and if you want to survive you learn how to do it right.

Guys like Wiecek rubbed me the wrong way because he was crappy and then I heard an interview with him on the Big Show and he was waxing on about how he chased Trouba to the ends of the earth to finally break the story of him wanting out (or something to that degree). It was just this really sad little mans syndrome moment where he was almost talking in a slang of a grizzled hard hitting reporter from the old movie's that broke the big story? Weird self promoting interview for a half a story. The talented people don't need to brag because their body of work is enough. He coupled this with an old school city view of Winnipeg sucks..... anti TNSE.... anti everything type attitude that I think plays to the worst of negative stereotypes. He was trying to lean into playing the bad guy but he was a low end Indi circuit wrestling heel at best.

I also agree Wiebe is polite and boring.

Bottom line for me is I don't really mind the local coverage of the Jets and Bombers. For the most part I ignore the guys I think are shills or hacks but I do chirp them on here once in a while.

This post is especially insightful, thanks PS!

I got to ride an escalator in City Place with Wiebe once, from my 30 seconds talking with him I can confidently say that Weiber is a great human.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad