Blake Wheeler

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hello Jets fans,

I'm curious as to what the next contract of Blake Wheeler will look like. Personally I can see it being in the price range of Andrew Ladd. Do you agree? If not will it be more? Will it be less? I appreciate any input. Thanks in advace.

Reactions: LeProspector

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
If he puts up point per game numbers, and based on his breakout season last year, I would expect a minimum of 4.5 million per year, likely hitting at least 5 million given it will likely be a 3-5 year deal as my guess.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
OneMillionDollars.gif

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
If he puts up point per game numbers, and based on his breakout season last year, I would expect a minimum of 4.5 million per year, likely hitting at least 5 million given it will likely be a 3-5 year deal as my guess.

Ya, I'd be surprised if it was anything under 5M per. Good chance it is close to Kane's AAV probably 4+ years.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
He has a lot of work to do. Consistency to name his biggest weakness. Being able to play well down the stretch and really score regularly against "playoff teams" top D pairing. If he wants to be paid like a top NHL player he needs to pick up hs socks and be the difference maker night in and night out.When it counts. No "Danny Heatley", 7 goals against Bratslavistan and 0 goals in any Gold medal game, Regular season hero playoff zero, type play thank you. He needs to become a winner. Because he has the potential to play at a ppg ,drag a team through a round of playoffs guy. So I'd say 4.6-5.0 for two-3 years. 5.5+ for 6-7 yr with no NMC/NTC. Back loaded as well.

Am I crazy?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
He has a lot of work to do. Consistency to name his biggest weakness. Being able to play well down the stretch and really score regularly against "playoff teams" top D pairing. If he wants to be paid like a top NHL player he needs to pick up hs socks and be the difference maker night in and night out.When it counts. No "Danny Heatley", 7 goals against Bratslavistan and 0 goals in any Gold medal game, Regular season hero playoff zero, type play thank you. He needs to become a winner. Because he has the potential to play at a ppg ,drag a team through a round of playoffs guy. So I'd say 4.6-5.0 for two-3 years. 5.5+ for 6-7 yr with no NMC/NTC. Back loaded as well.

Am I crazy?

My thoughts as well. He had a lot of trouble at te end of the season when other teams top D pairs really keyed on him. He's been getting more and more consistent every year though. If he can find a way to "play angry" all the time he can be a difference maker.

I'd guess around 5.25 on a 5-6 year deal. We'll have to overpay to grab a chunk of his UFA years.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Am I crazy?

No, I agree. If you want to be paid like a 1st line difference maker, then be a consistent 1st line difference maker in your play. The previous two games were what Wheeler should be on a consistent basis. Not necessarily the points but the impact he has on the game. Then he's a 4.5-5 mill/yr player. Maybe slightly more.

But right now, Ladd's deal looks pretty good for Wheeler, imo.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Kane has obvious upside. Personally I think Wheeler has "good player on a bad team" written all over him. I don't think any current playoff team would value him at 5 million a year. He's heading into his prime years and he has yet to show any consistency. I don't think he deserves anything more than a 2 or 3 year deal this off-season because of that.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Over $5M, unless he just totally bombs out. Wheeler still offers speed and size and that package will, all else being equal, translate in to more filthy lucre over what a smaller, slower but other statistically equal player might receive.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
He's got a year left of RFA I believe. Pretty much where Ladd was when signed.

Ladd is a two time cup winner and captain. Is Wheeler worth as much? He's still really inconsistant. I'd expect something in the low to mid 4's

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I am going to guess that he and Bogo get their own money phones next year.

The Kane deal should be a pretty good precedent IMO. Hopefully Kane keeps himself in beast mode and finishes the season with equal or more points that Wheels.

I don't want Wheeler's people suggest he deserve more than Kaner... on second thought, it isn't my money, so I don't give a fart.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Kane has obvious upside. Personally I think Wheeler has "good player on a bad team" written all over him. I don't think any current playoff team would value him at 5 million a year. He's heading into his prime years and he has yet to show any consistency. I don't think he deserves anything more than a 2 or 3 year deal this off-season because of that.

This is a little harsh but I don't really disagree. 4-4.5M/yr for 2-3 years would be a good deal IMO and still gives Wheeler a chance to earn a bigger contract after if he proves he can play more physically, with greater intensity and do so consistently.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I am going to guess that he and Bogo get their own money phones next year.

The Kane deal should be a pretty good precedent IMO. Hopefully Kane keeps himself in beast mode and finishes the season with equal or more points that Wheels.

I don't want Wheeler's people suggest he deserve more than Kaner... on second thought, it isn't my money, so I don't give a fart.

Personally (from the Jets side) I would think he should be closer to Ladd type money than Kane money. Ladd had the cups and was also the captain, so I could see the Jets wanting to keep him closer to that. Plus, the cap is going down as well. Maybe in between if Wheeler puts up big points this year though.

But I agree on Wheeler and Bogo getting money phones next year.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Personally (from the Jets side) I would think he should be closer to Ladd type money than Kane money. Ladd had the cups and was also the captain, so I could see the Jets wanting to keep him closer to that. Plus, the cap is going down as well. Maybe in between if Wheeler puts up big points this year though.

But I agree on Wheeler and Bogo getting money phones next year.

Wheeler led the Jets in points last year and he is right in the mix this year (he is on pace for 73 points over 82 games right now), plus any lengthy deal will be buying a lot of UFA. I really really really really doubt he signs for less than 5MM. It just isn't going to happen. The Kane and Toby deals are probably the top end framework.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Wheeler led the Jets in points last year and he is right in the mix this year (he is on pace for 73 points over 82 games right now), plus any lengthy deal will be buying a lot of UFA. I really really really really doubt he signs for less than 5MM. It just isn't going to happen. The Kane and Toby deals are probably the top end framework.

I hear what you're saying and it's most likely true. But Ladd's deal also took UFA years as well. Plus, at some point teams need to take the new cap into account and not the contracts signed with a higher cap.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I hear what you're saying and it's most likely true. But Ladd's deal also took UFA years as well. Plus, at some point teams need to take the new cap into account and not the contracts signed with a higher cap.

Agreed, I am still not sold on him being an everyday top of the line RW. I would like to see no more than a 3-4 year deal for him at a cap hit around Ladd's.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
My guess would be 19M/4yrs or
4.75/yr

Could also see something like 30M/6yrs
5/yr

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

The Cap will be an x factor, but I do anticipate him getting big money.

He is in his prime now and this deal will buy his best years. He shouldn't settle.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
The tougher question might be what do you pay Bogo.

Wheeler should be about $13 mill over 3 yrs, or $18 mill over 4 yrs. He's a key contributor, but a complementary piece. Not the prime guy.

Bogo's contract will be tougher, imo, to determine his worth or contract value in a multi-year deal.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
The Numbers that were mentioned on here for our UFA and RFA ending up being quite a bit under what they ended up getting. Hopefully someone does a comprehensive report on this.

Last season he ended up 43 in points (after the slow start) with 64.

A few FA last season and what they signed for:

Max Pacioretty - 65 points (not alot the seasons before that) - 4.5 million/6 years

Wayne Simmons - 48 points, 114 PM - (around 4 million for 6)

Scott Hartnell - 67 (4.75 per for 6)

Taylor hall who has 95 points in 126 games got 6 mill a season for 7 years

Mike Fisher 4.2 million a season

Jeff Skinner 5.725

Semin got 7 mill

Voracek 4.25

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Ladd is on pace for a 46 goal season, so that should put wheeler in his place. Jets should offer less than $4 mill/yr. ;).

I hear what you're saying. He might look for $5+ mill/yr, but I'm not sure he'll be able to put up those numbers for next 3 to 4 yrs.

Roooski

Sep 21, 2011
I think most has been said here already. It should be somewhere between 4.5-5.5. I think we might only see a 3yr deal on him just because you would think they want to lock up Bogo long term.

One thing I really wish is that Wheeler used his size and speed more to his advantage. If he say went flying in and crushed a few defence every now and then some guys would think twice about going hard into that corner with him barrelling down, giving him a bit more space to work with. Other than that even with inconsistancies I think he is a very skilled and solid player.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The tougher question might be what do you pay Bogo.

Wheeler should be about $13 mill over 3 yrs, or $18 mill over 4 yrs. He's a key contributor, but a complementary piece. Not the prime guy.

Bogo's contract will be tougher, imo, to determine his worth or contract value in a multi-year deal.

Agreed. $ 18 M over 4 years is a good # for Wheeler. Buys 2 years of UFA, but leaves him still in his prime for a really big payday if he develops into a consistent PPG guy. Right now the Jets might also be able to get Bogo at a good #, but if they want him in the 7-8 year range they will have to go in the $ 5.5 M per range. 4-5 years might be somewhere in that $ 4.5 M range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad