Blake Wheeler out indefinitely with concussion after Tkachuk flying elbow

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
His body wasn't intended to be involved. Just his elbow, to Wheeler's face. Perfect hit buy Tkachuk family standards.

LOL, what a ridiculous interpretation of events. Absolutely absurd.

Here's how you throw an actual elbow:

Notice he didn't fling his entire body in a different direction from the elbow.

You want to call Tkachuk's collision a reckless play or a reckless hit, fine.

Calling it a deliberately targeted elbow is the peak of foolishness.

Reactions: Bileur

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't necessarily think the intent is there but you need to be in control of your elbows, sticks etc at all times. And if you're not...there has to be consequences even if you're a choir boy who just wanted a clean little hit.

The end result, not what was planned, is what matters in the end.

1-2 games is what I would give it.

Reactions: Dache

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It's so obvious it's remarkable.

How often does a guy stop or throw a check backwards along the boards to hold up a guy behind him?

Wheeler goes to the outside and apparently Brady forgot to install a rearview mirror on the side of his helmet.
That’s all well and good, but you’re still responsible for where your elbow ends up, especially if it’s that high. Also even a reverse check like that isn’t supposed to leave your feet. I’m not thinking it’s as major as some people are saying it is, but let’s not act like it’s completely innocent either

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
That’s all well and good, but you’re still responsible for where your elbow ends up, especially if it’s that high. Also even a reverse check like that isn’t supposed to leave your feet. I’m not thinking it’s as major as some people are saying it is, but let’s not act like it’s completely innocent either

Thats why he got 2 minutes for it

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Thats why he got 2 minutes for it
I think you’re still under selling it, and I’m sure if it was against your team you’d feel otherwise. But agree to disagree I guess

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Sneaky dirty as a guy like that would do, why else is his elbow up that high and lose his stick so easily. He was doing a reverse hit and throwing his body up with the elbow leading.
"A guy like that"? Up until two days ago you like many posters didn't realize there was another Tkachuk in the league besides Matthew.

Reactions: The Expert

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
"A guy like that"? Up until two days ago you like many posters didn't realize there was another Tkachuk in the league besides Matthew.
Do not assume. I am on a hockey board site, yeah I have no clue who players are, give me a break, lol.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
At best very naive. Then again, if someone can look at that video and claim it was accidental... well, never mind.
"Waahh a player on my favorite team got hurt and you as a neutral fan don't see it as malicious so you are obviously wrong"

Reactions: cudi

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Tkachuk must have the best vision in in the league, being able to elbow a player who is trying to avoid the hit by skating around Brady at the last second while he (Brady) has his back turned to him.

Don’t want to hear none about Gretzky and his vision anymore, Brady has better.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
"Waahh" is your response?
You're definitely an important contributor to these forums.
Unlike you calling people dumb and blind for not seeing things the way you do through your Jets colored glasses. You are a true contributor to hfboards.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
upload_2021-4-8_9-31-40.png

Sick reading comprehension, @DannyGallivan , you generally like posts that go against what you're arguing?

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Wheeler is 6'5", why was his elbow up that high? Even if it was accidental, it's still reckless and should be punished. This is a good parallel:

Accidental, still an 8 game suspension. No reason for Tkachuk to be flailing his elbows that high.

Not a parallel at all. Kassian hit Gagner in the face with his stick. Completely different scenario.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Totally accidental but careless nonetheless.

There's no way he could predict Blake would skate around the check into where helis elbow would be.

Tkachuk went for the butt bump check thinking he could squeeze Wheeler out on the boards. But Wheeler goes around him instead and skates right through his elbow.

Sucks for Wheels here, Brady probably gets 2min for elbowing, since he left it out and he should be in control of it the same way an accidental highstick works.
This. :thumbu:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Not a parallel at all. Kassian hit Gagner in the face with his stick. Completely different scenario.
The parallel was more about being punished for being reckless even if the intent wasn't there. Brady jumped backwards with his elbow up. Whether it was intentional or not is debatable, but there's precedent for it to be punished based on recklessness alone.

Reactions: Dache

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
Of course, It's Ratchuk doing what he does best, injure other players, play dirty anything to win except they can't even do that.
There's a bunch of rats on that team that've gotten away with what should've been suspensions during this season.
I'm just commenting on this so new people in the thread don't miss out on this gem of a post. I suggest reading them all if you want a good laugh.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
That's how you were taught to contest a puck and throw a check? Turn you back and close your eyes?

No one said close your eyes.

He turned his body.

You're sounding like someone who didn't watch the hit.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
At best very naive. Then again, if someone can look at that video and claim it was accidental... well, never mind.

You do realize that's what most people are saying?

Followed by people mixing him up with his brother...

Least numerous are the people saying it was on purpose and dirty.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I had a bad concussion when I was 16, the result of a reckless but not dirty play. I tried to duck under a high hit and ended up with my head between their shoulder and the glass. The after effects lingered for a good 10 years because I continued to play and reaggravate it. I watched my son get driven into the ice backwards, headfirst from a crosscheck under the chin. It was the last game he ever played. He was 14 at the time. He missed 3 months of school and has never fully recovered many years later.
Because of these bits of history I have a bit of a sore spot for hits to the head and reckless plays that result in head injuries.
My rather biased opinion on the matter is that reckless play should not go unpunished by the league. Intent should really play no part in discipline, but rather the level of recklessness and the result of that recklessness. In this case the play isn't overly reckless, but it registers as somewhat reckless and it resulted in an injury to an opponent. A suspension or fine is probably warranted, but would never be issued. Player safety is clearly not on the DOPS radar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad