Blake Wheeler at Five . . .wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
I think what people don't realize is that Wheeler is an athlete and regardless of what sports, true athletes always excel. I'm not saying I hate Euros but the North American game sees more athletes compete with determination and character while in Europe, a lot more guys are taught to dazzle you with their amazing skills but lack the commitment to make that mental/physical leap to the NHL. But Wheeler is definitely an athlete and you can tell by the way he plays the game. Not only that, he is a star on his football team as well and you can often tell the best athletes excel in any sport. Just as Jarome Iginla (who epitomizes athleticism was amazing in baseball) same as Chris Drury and many other guys as well. Even Ovechkin is a fine athlete in many other sports. I think Wheeler will make the NHL. And when he does, watch out!

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Wheeler was indeed on a teams radar that was picking behind the Coyotes.

They wanted the kid and they went and got him...I dont see any problems with that at all.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Time will tell if it was an astute pick at #5. It is way too early to be harsh on Gretzky and Co.

I have seen Wheeler play a number of times and I really believe the kid is going to be a stud player on every level he plays. He really hasn't even entirely learned how to use his size because he hit a growth spurt in the last year or two. He also has not been a serious weight room guy until just recently.

Prior to that, he relied more on his skills to get the job done as he wasn't all that much bigger than many kids. It was a blessing for him to have it happen this way as he developed his skill a lot more than many young big players do because he didn't always have that big size advantage to make plays.

His skating is what stands out for me. When you are faster than many kids who are a good 6 inches shorter than you are, you have the potential to be something special.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Was it a reach? possibly as he likely could have been had later, but if this draft showed anything it is that after perhaps picks five on you really could throw the players in a hat, the evaluations of them were so across the board between one team and another that all the players had to have had some warts, and in wheeler's case it was the big unknown that he was, how will he do in college? It was a reach, but if you asked the scouts almost all the players from maybe 4 or 5 until 50 or 60 may have been thrown in a hat, they all were in that range I am thinking as shown by the rankings before the draft and how it actually fell.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
One thing I find encouraging is that the buzz on Wheeler, who was rising rapidly in the weeks leading up to the draft, wasnt about his impressive size but about his ability and the astonishing numbers he was putting up. That was why people noticed him.. but some people are talking like his size is his only asset..

BTW Im sure Minnesota was another option considering he was a hometown boy right in their back yard and they love to go off the board. Picking him at 12 would have been very exciting for them and its not a bad idea to gamble in a weak draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad