Blake Wheeler at Five . . .wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Heads will roll and the streets will be painted in Crimson.

Barnett, you day of recknoning is coming, you best be investing in a better security sytem.

We are all pawns of Dave Draper, and I dont like it :cry:

Last edited:

chuckie

Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
stupid

What an awful move by phx, he could of gone mid 1st to mid 2nd, thwy could of traded down and grabbed pics or players, stupid move, that was just awful.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
helicecopter said:
Agree. It's not credible to think there was another team out there ready to jump on Wheeler with a top15 pick.. :joker:

They likely fell victim to the same things that plagued the Bengals in the 2002 NFL draft. In that draft, they took Levi Jones with the 10th overall pick. They felt he was going to be available later in the draft and had plans of moving down. But they got spooked by several teams who admitted they liked Levi. So instead of taking the chance, they just drafted him 15 spots ahead of where they likely should. The problem here is that most teams like a bunch of players and saying you like someone means little. The teams that said they liked Levi also liked several other players a touch more. But they were smarter than the Bengals. They knew that by goading the Bengals in to drafting Levi, that it would mean they would have another more talented player to choose from at the 15-20 spot. It's a domino effect that helps most teams directly behind them. Now, all the picks supposed to be taken around there fall back a slot.

I would imagine the Coyotes fell to this same pressure. Somone 11-20 likely duped them into thinking that Wheeler was their man. Who knows, maybe even a team 6-10 got them. Either way, they were likely had by atleast one team.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
It is possible he was that mystery sleeper of Milbury. He was certainly considered a wild card. They most probably could have traded down a few spots. They may also have feared Columbus once they traded down from 4th to 8th. MacLean likes big skaters.

In any event, we're talking about the Coyotes here. It ain't the first time they don't make sense and it most probably ain't the last.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
In any event, we're talking about the Coyotes here. It ain't the first time they don't make sense and it most probably ain't the last.

In my opinion this is just shows why Wayne Gretzky needs to stop hiring his friends and hire some real hockey people because that is a poor organization down in Phoenix.

And to be honest, it would have been stupid to take him at 16 as well for the Isles.

I am debating whether it is as stupid to take him at #5 or to even draft Chris Bourque at 33.

Hoot

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Whichever way you look at this move it was horrible drafting by Barnett. We know for a fact that the Coyotes had an offer on the table from the Rangers. No way in hell Sather was going to take Wheeler at #5 which makes Barnett's attempt at blackmailing the Rangers into a better offer nonsense.

Barnett is not drafting well. He is not trading well. He is very poor at asset management. All of these are critical flaws in a GM. His major (perhaps only) strength is in contract negotiations but that ability alone does not compensate for his other flaws.

God knows who he will bring in as the next Coyote coach.

Hoot

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
It is possible he was that mystery sleeper of Milbury. He was certainly considered a wild card. They most probably could have traded down a few spots. They may also have feared Columbus once they traded down from 4th to 8th. MacLean likes big skaters.

Barnett obviously does not believe in the draft. It would be interesting to know how he plans to build a winner, let's assume he does, since he cannot trade either.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:

No.Hahn says in today's Newsday that Smid was the Isles sleeper pick.They tried and failed to trade up for him.

Yotes must have felt Wheeler wouldn't last until the #16 pick.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Hoot said:
Barnett obviously does not believe in the draft. It would be interesting to know how he plans to build a winner, let's assume he does, since he cannot trade either.

Yes and no. Barnett and Gretz are boobs, poor managers. However, the fact they brought Draper to do scouting indicates they at least have an interest in the draft.

He's probably not the cheapest guy you will find if all you want is to make token picks and the Coyotes are on a budget.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
CREW99AW said:
No.Hahn says in today's Newsday that Smid was the Isles sleeper pick.They tried and failed to trade up for him.

THAT was their super sleeper? Wow, not that I don't believe you or Milbury but color me totally unimpressed. I thought it was supposed to be a big time surprise? Smid at that point was a definite possibility. Off the board? Not in my opinion.

In any event, it would be hilarious if Gretzky and co drafted Wheeler because of Milbury's weird comments.

I thought Milbury was concerned about drafting too heavily from Europe? Then he goes and drafts a Euro because another Euro was gone?

I find it impossible to follow Mad Mike's pattern. Can be accused of many things but not to be boring! :D

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
THAT was their super sleeper? Wow, not that I don't believe you or Milbury but color me totally unimpressed. I thought it was supposed to be a big time surprise? Smid at that point was a definite possibility. Off the board? Not in my opinion.

In any event, it would be hilarious if Gretzky and co drafted Wheeler because of Milbury's weird comments.

I thought Milbury was concerned about drafting too heavily from Europe? Then he goes and drafts a Euro because another Euro was gone?

I find it impossible to follow Mad Mike's pattern. Can be accused of many things but not to be boring! :D

I thought Milbury's sleeper was going to be A.J. Thelen or Wolski.I was hoping for Schremp or Korpikoski.

Hoot

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Yes and no. Barnett and Gretz are boobs, poor managers. However, the fact they brought Draper to do scouting indicates they at least have an interest in the draft.

He's probably not the cheapest guy you will find if all you want is to make token picks and the Coyotes are on a budget.

Gretzky brought in Draper before Barnett became GM. Fletcher of course was no fan of the draft either but he at least drafted decently for the Coyotes.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Let's not assume that we know more about hockey than Wayne Gretzky. Time will tell of course. Yet, he obviously saw something in this kid.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I thought the definition of sleeper at 16 would be someone who wasn't expected to go anywhere near 16. Smid or Wolski or Thelen couldn't be sleepers at that pick.

I forgot where I heard it or read that the Islanders were looking at Wheeler at 16. He definitely would have been a reach at 16 also. I read in the paper today that Wheeler was hoping to be drafted in the first round and that if he were going to Phoenix, he would have expected it to be as a 2nd rounder. That's one of the biggest draft shocks that I can think of.

Greg

Feb 27, 2002
Yes, the responsibility is ultimately Michael Barnett's, or Wayne Gretzky if you think Barnett is just a puppet. But the blame (or credit if he turns out) should not be focused squarely on them. Dave Draper and Vaughn Karpan have the most influential voices when it comes to draft matters. They are the ones putting their reputations on the line. They are the ones trying to convince Gretzky and Barnett to draft a high school junior. While Barnett scouted the International Tournaments well, I doubt he saw Wheeler play a lot. You know Gretzky did not see him. This was a collective decision and right or wrong, it sounds like all in the organization were comfortable taking him at 5.

===================
"This young man has a tremendous upside," Gretzky said. "We took a bit of a risk, but we’re very comfortable picking him (at No. 5). He’s a tremendous athlete.’’

"We didn’t want to risk moving down and not get him. We have good information that says he wouldn’t have lasted,’’ Coyotes general manager Mike Barnett said. "We were striving to find someone we project as an impact player. The more we looked at Blake Wheeler, the more our scouts felt he could have the biggest impact.’’

"The kid is going to be a star,’’ Draper said. "Sometimes you have to pay a higher price than you’d like or what people would think, but we think we have a real gem and a guy who will play in the NHL for a long time.’’
East Valley Trib

In addition, scouts at the draft reportedly used the words "amazed" and "floored" to describe their reactions to the pick.

Coyotes General Manager Mike Barnett shrugged off the doubts and criticisms.

"That's not a concern," Barnett said. "You've got to believe in what your scouts present to you.

"We feel strongly that as committed and convicted as they were to Blake Wheeler, it certainly wouldn't be wise for us to go against their decision when they've put in hundreds and hundreds of hours to arrive at this player."

"We think we've got a real gem," said Dave Draper, vice president of scouting and director of player personnel. "This guy's going to play in the National Hockey League for a long time."
Arizona Republic

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Wow,the Coyotes need a real scout. Ben Eager two years ago and now this. Wheeler has a lot of pressure under him not to mention another year at USHS.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
jcab2000 said:
I thought the definition of sleeper at 16 would be someone who wasn't expected to go anywhere near 16. Smid or Wolski or Thelen couldn't be sleepers at that pick.

I forgot where I heard it or read that the Islanders were looking at Wheeler at 16. He definitely would have been a reach at 16 also. I read in the paper today that Wheeler was hoping to be drafted in the first round and that if he were going to Phoenix, he would have expected it to be as a 2nd rounder. That's one of the biggest draft shocks that I can think of.

The mods at the isles mania board are great at picking up any nyi rumors or mentions,even minor ones.There hasn't been any mention of Wheeler and the Isles on mania, but who knows.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
People said the same thing about Keith Tkachuck when he was drafted. The kid obviously will have the body to play in the NHL, so he could end up being a 4th line bum like Nazarov or he could be a superstar. Time will tell, and the consensus is that this is essentially a 2005 draft pick (youngest player in the draft) and since there will be a lockout, he will have a free year to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad