Prospect Info: Blake Speers -RW- (67th Overall 2015)

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Yeah, Speers has looked invisible to me for the better half of the year. Lately it seems he's been getting a few more chances (maybe just when he's on the top line, haven't paid much attention to that) but he hasn't been finishing. I remember one vividly two games ago against Hershey, where he was fed a perfect pass all alone in the slot and missed the net by a mile.

As a neutral Buffalo Sabres (and Binghamton Devils of course) fan, I don't know much about him other than what I've seen this year, but he seems a little disappointing so far for a third rounder. I would have some patience with him though, just because the rest of the team around him has been pretty brutal too. On top of that, it's his first pro season and like Tao said, he's been juggled around the lineup everywhere and hasn't been able to really develop chemistry with any line mates.

Reactions: Tao Jones

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yeah, Speers has looked invisible to me for the better half of the year. Lately it seems he's been getting a few more chances (maybe just when he's on the top line, haven't paid much attention to that) but he hasn't been finishing. I remember one vividly two games ago against Hershey, where he was fed a perfect pass all alone in the slot and missed the net by a mile.

As a neutral Buffalo Sabres (and Binghamton Devils of course) fan, I don't know much about him other than what I've seen this year, but he seems a little disappointing so far for a third rounder. I would have some patience with him though, just because the rest of the team around him has been pretty brutal too. On top of that, it's his first pro season and like Tao said, he's been juggled around the lineup everywhere and hasn't been able to really develop chemistry with any line mates.

He actually made the Devils out of training camp in 2016-17 and played 3 NHL games. I'm assuming you would've never guessed that.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Not sure what happened with this kid, but before Nico and Bratt came over, he looked like his IQ was way higher than the rest of our forward prospect pool. His strength just needed to catch up. But disappointing thus far.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He actually made the Devils out of training camp in 2016-17 and played 3 NHL games. I'm assuming you would've never guessed that.

Which in hindsight shows just how barren our talent pool at forward was even a year ago. People were hyping him up as if he was going to have a Bratt-like breakout but it didn't really pan out and now he's seemingly taken three steps back.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Which in hindsight shows just how barren our talent pool at forward was even a year ago. People were hyping him up as if he was going to have a Bratt-like breakout but it didn't really pan out and now he's seemingly taken three steps back.

I was just going to say -- Bratt's breakout this year is what people were expecting for Speers not too long ago. Funny how things shake out.

I'm fine with being patient with Speers... especially now that we can afford to be.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sometimes it takes a while. Coleman just broke into the NHL at 25, Noesen has just now established himself as a regular at 25.

Of course it would have been nice if he came right in and blew the roof off but this is his first pro season. It's okay to be patient.
It's the only option we have at this point. With Bastian too.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, those three games for him were a nothingburger. You can write those off completely.

I hope this is sarcasm. He showed that he has NHL mobility, solid positional play and a great work ethic. Those are all crucial to becoming a good NHL player.

He also showed he didn't yet have much offensive prowess and needs to bulk up, but those things are useful to know, too.

It was definitely worth it to give him a look.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I hope this is sarcasm. He showed that he has NHL mobility, solid positional play and a great work ethic. Those are all crucial to becoming a good NHL player.

He also showed he didn't yet have much offensive prowess and needs to bulk up, but those things are useful to know, too.

It was definitely worth it to give him a look.

I'm just saying that they really shouldn't be used for / against him in the overall scheme of things.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm just saying that they really shouldn't be used for / against him in the overall scheme of things.
Clearly. He was given a chance because we were pretty devoid of talent at his position, not so much because how impressive he was. Given his track has been very unimpressive in the almost 2 seasons since, those games can't be used as a signifier of his NHL potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad