Confirmed with Link: Blake Comeau re-signs with Stars (1 year x 1M)

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
$1M for one year for a player who provides what Dallas' system already covers, offers no offense, and isn't even good on the PK.

war-blake-comeau.png

I could live with it if I thought Bowness would give him 4th line minutes but Comeau wasn't just a top six minutes forward (even accounting for Seguin and Radulov's TOI per game). He was also used to tie it up late. Seems innocuous. Maybe it is. Still feels like the equivalent of a fart noise. Especially when Dallas is trailing in games next year and fans are asking "did Bowness just double shift Comeau late in the game???"

I'm not convinced Comeau is a player "who provides what Dallas' system already covers". The 98% on EV Defence is all I need to see that he has a strong as hell individual impact on goals against. In this upcoming normal year of hockey, hopefully he can play his role - 4th line shutdown guy - and be successful at the 1M price point.

Reactions: Elysian

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I'm not convinced Comeau is a player "who provides what Dallas' system already covers". The 98% on EV Defence is all I need to see that he has a strong as hell individual impact on goals against. In this upcoming normal year of hockey, hopefully he can play his role - 4th line shutdown guy - and be successful at the 1M price point.

Dallas' defense will be fine without Comeau. Their offense, however, in no way improves with Comeau. Nor does their PK, which is supposed to be a Comeau selling point but isn't. If by some miracle he does play 4th line minutes, than his defensive impact will make little difference. Cogliano provides the exact same defensive impact, but with more slightly more offense, and a better performance on the PK at a position Dallas actually does need. If Cogliano wanted more, and they couldn't keep him over Comeau, fine. I just doubt that's the case. Cogliano actually played limited minutes. Comeau did not. If anyone truly believes Comeau is gonna be a 4th line winger next season, I've got a bridge made out of Don Cherry's indignant suits to sell you.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Dallas' defense will be fine without Comeau. Their offense, however, in no way improves with Comeau. Nor does their PK, which is supposed to be a Comeau selling point but isn't. If by some miracle he does play 4th line minutes, than his defensive impact will make little difference. Cogliano provides the exact same defensive impact, but with more slightly more offense, and a better performance on the PK at a position Dallas actually does need. If Cogliano wanted more, and they couldn't keep him over Comeau, fine. I just doubt that's the case. Cogliano actually played limited minutes. Comeau did not. If anyone truly believes Comeau is gonna be a 4th line winger next season, I've got a bridge made out of Don Cherry's indignant suits to sell you.
Comeau has literally out produced him for 3 straight years. In less games too

Cogliano has put up 42 points (including partial season with Anaheim) over 200 games which is a .21 points per game.

Comeau has put up 48 points in 183 games or a .26 points per game.

If we look at only games in a Stars jersey for crapliano... he drops to a .20 point per game average (31 in 164 games)

Cogliano has put up 14 goals over the last 3 yrs. 11 in a stars jersey. (.07 and .06 gpg)
Comeau has 19 in same time (.1gpg)

Long story short, they re-signed the correct one of the two. Though both could be replaced with better players

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Eh, we should have learned from Ty Dellandrea's less than average performance in his rookie season that you just can't plug an inexperienced rookie in, even on the 4th line. Someone will eventually have to take over and I'll bet the young guys get every opportunity to beat him out in camp and/or early season. In the ideal situation, by the end of the year, Ty D is there and BC's minutes go down, either by age, performance, or injury (which I hate)

I wonder why he is 4th line material on the PK but pretty stout on 5vs5? Either way, it seems we have moved on from our lowest ice time defensive FW in Cogs, and ceded that role to Comeau for a reasonable price. Seems like a reasonable way to phase him out.

It seems like the basic discussion around here was just that - send the older, more limited Cogs to the sidelines, let someone else sign him, and keep one of the two wingers on our shutdown line for a smooth transition. Makes sense to most of us, so I am surprised to see these 99% negative opinions by some on the move.

Reactions: Dallasman

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Eh, we should have learned from Ty Dellandrea's less than average performance in his rookie season that you just can't plug an inexperienced rookie in, even on the 4th line. Someone will eventually have to take over and I'll bet the young guys get every opportunity to beat him out in camp and/or early season. In the ideal situation, by the end of the year, Ty D is there and BC's minutes go down, either by age, performance, or injury (which I hate)

I wonder why he is 4th line material on the PK but pretty stout on 5vs5? Either way, it seems we have moved on from our lowest ice time defensive FW in Cogs, and ceded that role to Comeau for a reasonable price. Seems like a reasonable way to phase him out.

It seems like the basic discussion around here was just that - send the older, more limited Cogs to the sidelines, let someone else sign him, and keep one of the two wingers on our shutdown line for a smooth transition. Makes sense to most of us, so I am surprised to see these 99% negative opinions by some on the move.

It's not just this year. We had seen it in the past before. I still remember when the Stars just plugged in the likes of Tom Wandell and Tomas Vincour into the NHL lineup during the bankruptcy years who both had no business anywhere near the NHL

You gotta make sure your young players are NHL ready and if they're not you need to have someone else ready to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
It goes back further and higher than that. They let Bret Hull go, and were pretty sure that they could go to UFA and pay Pierre Turgeon and Donald Audette to be their new scorers, but it didn't work out so well. I remember Armstrong and or Jim Lites sounding pretty arrogant about their team building abilities, as per above. Chemistry matters as much as past scoring stats. We even saw that with Hemsky, even Jason Spezza and now Pavs took a year to fit in the system and feel comfortable.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Comeau has literally out produced him for 3 straight years. In less games too

Cogliano has put up 42 points (including partial season with Anaheim) over 200 games which is a .21 points per game.

Comeau has put up 48 points in 183 games or a .26 points per game.

If we look at only games in a Stars jersey for crapliano... he drops to a .20 point per game average (31 in 164 games)

Cogliano has put up 14 goals over the last 3 yrs. 11 in a stars jersey. (.07 and .06 gpg)
Comeau has 19 in same time (.1gpg)

Long story short, they re-signed the correct one of the two. Though both could be replaced with better players

Using points to gauge a bottom six forward's offense is like using +/- to gauge a top four blueliner's defense. Yes, Comeau scored more points than Cogliano. And Devin Shore scored more points than Spezza under Hitchcock. And? Points are all that matter at the elite levels, but when it comes to middle six talent, points aren't gonna be what they primarily give you. In the absence of that, what they generate elsewhere, be it shot attempts, scoring chances, or high danger attempts, should be the deciding factor over who plays or who doesn't. Sure enough, over the last three seasons, Cogliano is slightly less shitty in terms of total offense when you account for usage. And he's a higher point per game player over his career.

Attachments

• download (10).png
    download (10).png
    25.3 KB · Views: 4

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Using points to gauge a bottom six forward's offense is like using +/- to gauge a top four blueliner's defense. Yes, Comeau scored more points than Cogliano. And Devin Shore scored more points than Spezza under Hitchcock. And? Points are all that matter at the elite levels, but when it comes to middle six talent, points aren't gonna be what they primarily give you. In the absence of that, what they generate elsewhere, be it shot attempts, scoring chances, or high danger attempts, should be the deciding factor over who plays or who doesn't. Sure enough, over the last three seasons, Cogliano is slightly less shitty in terms of total offense when you account for usage. And he's a higher point per game player over his career.
Ah yes the old theoretical points are better than actually scoring.

Slightly "less shitty" in a more sheltered role to the tune of what 150 less minutes of even strength play.
But never fear a decade ago Cogliano was actually good so it doesn't matter that he's the worst player on the team now. He does theoretical things slightly better than a more heavily utilized player, so he must just be better or something.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
But what we can really take away from this move is to not expect any more signings prior to the expansion draft right?

Maybe something minor but nobody Seattle might actually pick in the expansion draft. Not even Dickinson . No reason to sign him to something right now. If Seattle picks him signing him is their problem and there's plenty of time to re-sign him afterwards if they don't.

This is the roster the Stars will go into the expansion draft with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Awesome

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Ah yes the old theoretical points are better than actually scoring.

Slightly "less shitty" in a more sheltered role to the tune of what 150 less minutes of even strength play.
But never fear a decade ago Cogliano was actually good so it doesn't matter that he's the worst player on the team now. He does theoretical things slightly better than a more heavily utilized player, so he must just be better or something.

Theoretical? You're the one claiming Comeau is better offensively even though Cogliano has more career points, and a higher career point-per-game average. Obviously, these are two terrible players for what the system needs, so sure, we're splitting hairs. But I can't openly trust a team that deliberately brought Polak back, figured Hanzel could fit into the suitcase that was Dallas' center depth at the time, paid another team so that Nichushkin couldn't play for Dallas (regardless of his admitted excuses), and gave up a 2nd round pick for a couple of months of Kris Russell. Nill can hit or miss with his signings. I'm not out to blame him. But he's pretty bad when it comes to middling veteran stopgaps, and Comeau is no different. Dallas didn't need an aging winger who only excels at defense. That they happened to bring the one back who is only distinguished by being heavier, and even more offensively inept is what I've come to expect from this strange philosophical turnabout post-Ruff.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Theoretical? You're the one claiming Comeau is better offensively even though Cogliano has more career points, and a higher career point-per-game average. Obviously, these are two terrible players for what the system needs, so sure, we're splitting hairs. But I can't openly trust a team that deliberately brought Polak back, figured Hanzel could fit into the suitcase that was Dallas' center depth at the time, paid another team so that Nichushkin couldn't play for Dallas (regardless of his admitted excuses), and gave up a 2nd round pick for a couple of months of Kris Russell. Nill can hit or miss with his signings. I'm not out to blame him. But he's pretty bad when it comes to middling veteran stopgaps, and Comeau is no different. Dallas didn't need an aging winger who only excels at defense. That they happened to bring the one back who is only distinguished by being heavier, and even more offensively inept is what I've come to expect from this strange philosophical turnabout post-Ruff.
i swear man.. what is your ax to grind against this org? you'd think Lites slept with your wife or something.

what on earth do the career points mean at this stage of comparison? it's the players they are now that matter. otherwise, let's sign gretzky out of retirement.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
what on earth do the career points mean at this stage of comparison? it's the players they are now that matter. otherwise, let's sign gretzky out of retirement.

The comical part is that Cogliano was supposed to be a speedy offensive dynamo in Edmonton and got those opportunities early in his career. That's long irrelevant now as Cogliano and Comeau have the same regular season ppg in the past 5 years and basically the same ppg in their careers (0.38 for Cogliano and 0.37 for Comeau).

Last year- Comeau had a higher WAR than Cogliano (who was in the negatives). Comeau isn't getting paid to score goals- he's getting paid for his 5v5 defensive impact, which is higher than Coglianos.

I particularly don't give a shit for Comeau and would prefer he went far, far away- but I can understand why they brought him back. Acting like your stats are the end all be all of discussion doesn't get you very far though, so I'm not surprised that most people disagree with whatever @David Castillo is posting.

Reactions: Kipper 17

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I particularly don't give a shit for Comeau and would prefer he went far, far away- but I can understand why they brought him back. Acting like your stats are the end all be all of discussion doesn't get you very far though, so I'm not surprised that most people disagree with whatever @David Castillo is posting.

"Acting like?" What exactly? Acting like in the choice between two lameduck players that offer similar value, it's better to flip a coin on the side of hard data that leans toward one player over another? In that case, my bad: I didn't realize being Team Fire Comeau Into the Sun would turn this thread into a Raid film.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
"Acting like?" What exactly? Acting like in the choice between two lameduck players that offer similar value, it's better to flip a coin on the side of hard data that leans toward one player over another? In that case, my bad: I didn't realize being Team Fire Comeau Into the Sun would turn this thread into a Raid film.

Re-read your posts. Just a big tantrum about his potential usage :( and a bunch of loose goosey narratives.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's worth revisiting the Athletic article from late in the season where Cogliano made the lists of worst shooters in the NHL.

NHL stormtrooper awards: Who are the league's worst shooters?

Cogliano getting and flubbing more chances than Comeau isn't something good. It's certainly not a reason to keep him.

And career stats are a completely useless measure when walking about guys at the very end of their careers.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't know why this Comeau signing is this hotly discussed. The Stars needed to another forward that fullfill forward requirements of the expansion draft to not have to expose Pavelski and go into RFA contract negotiation with Dickinson early . They signed a known quantity to a close to vet minimum contract.

There's nothing wrong with this contract. It's cheap and Comeau was still better than most guys who played last season.

Thanks to the injuries there was legitimate argumet in some games that Comeau was the 4th/5th best forward on the active roster .

Last edited:

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Cogliano is also a few years younger, so he could have been looking more in the 1.5-1.75 range or 2+ years. You never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad