Player Discussion: Blake Coleman

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Let's get him with at least one of our big 3 players then.

Coleman-Point-Kucherov
Palat/Killorn-Cirelli-Stamkos

If he outshines any of Killorn, Palat, or Johnson he has to get that top 6 spot. If last night was any indication, he might give one of those lines a real jump. Not that he was amazing last night (first game dont expect too much) but he stood out and looks like he may have a gear that the guys listed just dont have.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Coleman wasn't even a top line player on New Jersey after the Hall trade, we can try him in a top scoring role but I wouldn't expect much long term.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Coleman wasn't even a top line player on New Jersey after the Hall trade, we can try him in a top scoring role but I wouldn't expect much long term.

But he had success playing with skilled linemates, according to NJ fans, specifically Gusev. We have Gusev on steroids.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Let's get him with at least one of our big 3 players then.

Coleman-Point-Kucherov
Palat/Killorn-Cirelli-Stamkos

No, no, no, no, no.

Coleman-Cirelli-Killorn.

Let's hit the other team with size, speed, and heart. Plus our resident Tinder App expert.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
But he had success playing with skilled linemates, according to NJ fans, specifically Gusev. We have Gusev on steroids.

"Success" for a guy like Coleman is being on pace for 46 points which is shattering his previous career high at 36 points, these aren't exactly elite numbers. He's 28 years old, I know we traded 2 firsts but lets temper our expectations here - he's a journeyman player with a limited skillset who makes up for it with good work ethic.

I don't mind trying him there but I think he'll find more success on the 2nd/3rd lines than playing with Kucherov or Point where you need to be completely dialed in offensively. Just from what I've seen in videos and from last nights game, he's a very north-south player and he likes to throw a lot on net, might actually be a good fit with Johnson as a center and someone who can crash the net for rebounds like Gourde.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
"Success" for a guy like Coleman is being on pace for 46 points which is shattering his previous career high at 36 points, these aren't exactly elite numbers. He's 28 years old, I know we traded 2 firsts but lets temper our expectations here - he's a journeyman player with a limited skillset who makes up for it with good work ethic.

I don't mind trying him there but I think he'll find more success on the 2nd/3rd lines than playing with Kucherov or Point where you need to be completely dialed in offensively. Just from what I've seen in videos and from last nights game, he's a very north-south player and he likes to throw a lot on net, might actually be a good fit with Johnson as a center and someone who can crash the net for rebounds like Gourde.

46 points on a 3rd line without PP time is pretty good by any standard.

17 ES goals would be good for 3rd on our team, above Killorn and Point, and only two behind Stamkos.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I have no issues with offensively limited glue guys in top line roles as a general rule. Stamkos and Marty thrived with Downie.

Doesn't matter who you put there really, not like their numbers dropped playing with Malone or Purcell or even Conacher either. The offensive catalyst's will usually find a way to adapt to the 3rd guy.

Point/Kucherov have been through a merry-go-round of left wingers the last 2 years and their ES numbers have remained relatively the same.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
46 points on a 3rd line without PP time is pretty good by any standard.

17 ES goals would be good for 3rd on our team, above Killorn and Point, and only two behind Stamkos.

It is good production for a 2nd/3rd liner but you gotta think why he doesn't play on the PP and it's probably because he's not a good puck distributor in a cycle game, hence his low assist totals. Coleman seems pretty self sufficient in terms of production, I'd rather a Gourde there who could use a bit of a jumpstart.

Fritobandito3

Apr 7, 2019
Would love to try Coleman with Stamkos and Kucherov. Move point to second line as he creates scoring chances and spreads our offense to other lines.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
q18q8Gr.jpg

Save us Based Coleman

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It is good production for a 2nd/3rd liner but you gotta think why he doesn't play on the PP and it's probably because he's not a good puck distributor in a cycle game, hence his low assist totals. Coleman seems pretty self sufficient in terms of production, I'd rather a Gourde there who could use a bit of a jumpstart.
Good points. When everything settles Im betting hes on the 3rd line and there is where the problem is, I find it hard to believe his production will remain the same as it was in Jersey playing on the top lines there. The good thing he is cheap. We will know what his impact will be sooner rather than later. I do not think we are done I see adding another 3rd line wing for this run Verhagee, Joseph and Stephens will not see much action come the post season. I would like to see us pick Namestnikov back up for the run he would be cheap and an upgrade over our rookies right now.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He’s looked good and bad at the same time, but we have to keep in mind it’s a small sample size still.

He’s been great defensively, amazing on the PK and he brings really good foot speed.

He hasn’t been good offensively at all. Particularly his passing. I am extremely disappointed in that aspect.

His energy level has been good, although not Cirelli good

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
ya i think by playoffs we will see his worth we are still missing him by a step (tonight) and he is still missing people with his passes ..... him and goody show up id actually like a lot different lines but i dont run things here lol

id go with
point kucherov coleman
cirelli tyjo palat
stephens gourde goody
killer paq maroon

i really do think when we lose the kucherov stamkos together line coleman would be stamkos best friend on same line in future..... still really want to see tyjo palat playing together but coleman tyjo tonight showed close to getting chemistry to say coleman is a faster but identical type player to palat should make things work out him and tyjo at some point

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I was expecting him to shoot more. Hope he gets back to the shots rate he had in Jersey

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He's been solid on the PK (PK cost us last night but none the less...)

He had some chances last night but we need him to produce in the playoffs. Otherwise we just have another Johnsom/Gourde on our hands...

Still early yet... (but not by much)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad