Blade Wars:Canada Cup 1987

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogopogo*

ShaneDoan said:
Is it worth of buying? Can i watch it with PS2 or XBox when i live in Finland? I mean if there is different copy`s in Canada and u cannot see it Finnish machine.

It's pretty good but they edited too much out. What I mean is, the time from a whistle to the next face off is great for the commentators to talk about the players, the series, show stats etc. The guys that made these DVDs edited out most of that 'dead time'. Still get to see all the actual game play.

I think all DVD players are alike.

KariyaIsGod*

No, all DVD players are not alike...

They're are different types of players and discs but the discs and players from different regions won't mix.

Thing is, I'm not sure what the deal is with European stuff.

NTSC... PAL... Those are two of the types and then they are broken down into regions. Research it online and you should find your answer...

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
DrMoses said:
No, all DVD players are not alike...

They're are different types of players and discs but the discs and players from different regions won't mix.

Thing is, I'm not sure what the deal is with European stuff.

NTSC... PAL... Those are two of the types and then they are broken down into regions. Research it online and you should find your answer...
NTSC and PAL are 2 different system for VHS-tapes. This has nothing to do with DVD.

The point with the DVDs is, as you mention, they have region codes. E.g. Europe does have code 2. If the DVD is with code 1 (which is North America), you cannot play this DVD in a European player. But if the code region is 0, the DVD can be played all around the world.

So, if you live in Finland, check for the code region, which has to be 0 or 2.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
MAF said:
So, if you live in Finland, check for the code region, which has to be 0 or 2.
Or better yet, get a region-free DVD player. I recommend the Cyberhome 500, a very cheap but reliable player.

CHareth

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
I have this set. The discs themselves are region free, so you don't even need a region-free player. However, I assume Finland is PAL, and these discs are NTSC. If your player does a PAL to NTSC conversion, then you're set. If not, then just get some free software online and re-author the DVDs on your computer into PAL format - a long process to be sure, but better than not seeing these games.

The DVDs themselves are pretty bare bones, and I am not crazy about the choppy editting job. But otherwise, the video quality is pretty good and, most importantly, this is the best hockey ever played. I saw these games again over the summer, and I was so happy to see them again. These games do not age. They're amazing!

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
I just got the set a few months ago, and yeah, the editing job really sucks. But it does let you focus strictly on the game, which is just as good as everyone says it was.

Definitely worth finding...

MykeAbner

Feb 2, 2005
MAF said:
NTSC and PAL are 2 different system for VHS-tapes. This has nothing to do with DVD.
You have to encode digital video differently depending on whether it is PAL or NTSC. It does matter for DVD players.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
If you have a computer with a DVD player I think you might be able to view the DVD's regardless of region.

deathtoespn

Aug 11, 2005
Great Editing: lots of clutching and grabbing

Thank God the blather between whistles was scratched. Announcers uniformly believe that it's all about them and not about the game. Fans tune in to watch the game and hear some competent play by play. I don't give a damn about Dan Kelly or Ron Reusch's (or any other announcer--including Harry Neale or Bill Clement) opinions on the game or the latest joke to make the rounds on sportscenter. Stick to the game folks--check your egos at the door-if you have the courage to do so.

In regards to the content of the DVD's: great great hockey. But, despite what all the genuis' who think that clutch and grab hockey was invented by the New Jersey Devils, you see lots and lots of clutching and grabbing by guys like (gasp!) Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieiux (didn't he say the NHL was a garbage league because it allowed . . .?) Ray Bourque, Mark Messier, Paul Coffey, Doug Gilmour, Rick Tocchet--basically every single Team Canada Player (and most Soviet players, to be fair) And let's not forget the diving.
Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux just took dive after dive after dive after dive--look at the DVD's and see for yourself. I never thought I'd ever see a Canadian team outdive a European team--until I witnessed Team Canada at the 1995 World Junior Championship in Red Deer Alberta. Led by notorious diver Todd Harvey, this Canadian Team outdove every single team they faced--including the Russians (one Harvey dive led to Alexander Korolyuk getting a 5 minute major!).
But the 1987 Canada Cup Finals had it all. Great passing, great stickhandling, fast tempo, lotsa scoring chances and of course, clutching and grabbing and tons of Canadian and Russian players cheating--both the game and the fans--by taking dive after dive after dive.
Don't believe me? Check out the DVD's. Like Roger Neilson said, the video tape has no prejudices. The clutch and grab was alive and well long before the genius's pointed the finger at the NJ Devils. (who have been the second or third least penalized team in the NHL since 1994--look it up.)
Oh, on diving, when a player takes a dive he stops playing hockey and starts cheating--so the real loser in this equation is the fan who paid money to see the guy play hockey--and the game of hockey itself. Bill Barber did not invent diving, he just lacked the pride to limit himself to only one dive per shift.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I got the 87 and 91 editions from Ebay not too long ago and I like them, good to see highlights from those old games again after all these years. I wonder though if there are DVD's like these but from the previous Canada Cups too (76, 81 and 84)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->