Post-Game Talk: Blackwood shines in another Devils defeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Who do you think does well against top lines on this team? Certainly not Andy Greene anymore.

Certainly not Santini.

Mueller was fine, but its still a small sample size.

I think Butcher has been doing a lot better with more minutes than most people thought he could, but I’m not sure he’s really faced a lot of top lines.

There really are no good options to go up against top lines on this defense. Vatanen, Severson, and Butcher are all more offensive guys who have their warts defensively. Greene is simply too old. Mueller wasn't bad for a while but seems to be headed backwards. Lovejoy and Santini are both more third pairing/PK guys. It's kind of a pick your poison situation. Playing Severson on his off side on the top pair was just asking for trouble though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
There really are no good options to go up against top lines on this defense. Vatanen, Severson, and Butcher are all more offensive guys who have their warts defensively. Greene is simply too old. Mueller wasn't bad for a while but seems to be headed backwards. Lovejoy and Santini are both more third pairing/PK guys. It's kind of a pick your poison situation. Playing Severson on his off side on the top pair was just asking for trouble though.
This is all true(except I wouldn't limit Santini to just a 3rd pair D just yet I think he's much, much better than Mueller) and what complicates matters is our left side and right don't pair well in the slots that they should be playing in. This has been true for 5+ years. The defense is very poorly constructed.

Camille the Eel

In the interests of bringing the D along, I wish that Hynes would just settle on some pairings and play the guys in a solid, predictable way. He is not helping anyone develop confidence, or to settle in, with the constant juggling and revolving door. He’s got to decide who he thinks of for the future and then let them gain experience and strength. The handling of the D this year is a bit of a scandal.

Though Butcher, on the other hand, is making clear progress on his game in our end. Where he’s cooler and more self possessed and not throwing the puck away blindly as much. Instead, looking around, making a good first pass on the tape. That is at least one very positive development.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Butcher has made progress...but his skating is just so ugly that I can't be a believer until proven otherwise.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Who do you think does well against top lines on this team? Certainly not Andy Greene anymore.

Certainly not Santini.

Mueller was fine, but its still a small sample size.

I think Butcher has been doing a lot better with more minutes than most people thought he could, but I’m not sure he’s really faced a lot of top lines.

I mean Santini had 1 game this season, under a 100 games played in the league.

Mirco has been our best defensive defenseman this year. I mean Mirco is obviously a better solution then Severson on the top pairing.

Santini needs to get some ice time and we'll see.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Is he injured?
He didn't look this slow last season
I think his skating looked worse last year in all honesty. But he turns like Dylan Mcilrath... It looks like the Titanic trying to make a turn. I honestly think I can do better crossovers than Butcher

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
The severson vatanen pair was just ahout as awful as I expected. What did they last 2 shifts? Moronic coaching, but at this point we may as well ride him out and maybe win the lottery

Reactions: Hypernova

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think his skating looked worse last year in all honesty. But he turns like Dylan Mcilrath... It looks like the Titanic trying to make a turn. I honestly think I can do better crossovers than Butcher

To me he looks slower on straight away skating

Camille the Eel

Butcher has made progress...but his skating is just so ugly that I can't be a believer until proven otherwise.
Yeah and the skating is one thing that has a ceiling that will never lift. But within that ceiling he is playing much more solidly and much more intelligently too in our end. He's one guy who isn't often making the really awful coverage error. He's one guy who isn't repeating his mistakes, in other words, who is learning. And - despite his diminutive size - he's winning or drawing one-on-one battles against much bigger and stronger players, like the huge Columbus forwards last night.

On the other hand, I think his usefulness on the power play has regressed. Other clubs have learned what he is trying to do and they are all over him. Both when he's QB'ing the play in the offensive end and especially when he's trying to carry the puck for a zone entry. They've jump him and he's become shy of the pressure, bailing out so as not to give up the shorthanded opportunity.

But generally the problem with our defense is we can't skate. That's the reason we miss Moore so much. Vatanen is a markedly substandard skater. Ends up on his ass one third of the time. Did you see that forward go around him last night, leading to a holding call? Butcher is slow of foot. Greene at this point has just blown whatever tires he once had - he's existing on wits and positioning and stickwork, which is why he gets totally burned whenever he needs to match up with someone in open ice. Lovejoy has never been known to move his carcass particularly well. It just goes on and on. Santini doesn't look like he's got great wheels either, to be sure. (So why are we investing in him, if he doesn't have the basic facility we need?).

Sevs at least can skate. Thus the immense investment over several years in patiently trying to let him develop.

It's a skating game. It takes time to develop players but the question for Shero is, are Mueller, Yak, Sevs (as he continues to play) capable of developing into the kind of defensemen we will need to be truly competitive going forward?

Here is where dumping Lou (literally forcing him out) raises questions. Not that Lou hadn't fumbled the ball with roster development badly by the time he left and not that new ownership didn't need to get their own man in there, rather than someone who thought he owned the team. But the philosophy always was build from the back end out. Right now that's where our problems are.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah and the skating is one thing that has a ceiling that will never lift. But within that ceiling he is playing much more solidly and much more intelligently too in our end. He's one guy who isn't often making the really awful coverage error. He's one guy who isn't repeating his mistakes, in other words, who is learning. And - despite his diminutive size - he's winning or drawing one-on-one battles against much bigger and stronger players, like the huge Columbus forwards last night.

On the other hand, I think his usefulness on the power play has regressed. Other clubs have learned what he is trying to do and they are all over him. Both when he's QB'ing the play in the offensive end and especially when he's trying to carry the puck for a zone entry. They've jump him and he's become shy of the pressure, bailing out so as not to give up the shorthanded opportunity.

But generally the problem with our defense is we can't skate. That's the reason we miss Moore so much. Vatanen is a markedly substandard skater. Ends up on his ass one third of the time. Did you see that forward go around him last night, leading to a holding call? Butcher is slow of foot. Greene at this point has just blown whatever tires he once had - he's existing on wits and positioning and stickwork, which is why he gets totally burned whenever he needs to match up with someone in open ice. Lovejoy has never been known to move his carcass particularly well. It just goes on and on. Santini doesn't look like he's got great wheels either, to be sure. (So why are we investing in him, if he doesn't have the basic facility we need?).

Sevs at least can skate. Thus the immense investment over several years in patiently trying to let him develop.

It's a skating game. It takes time to develop players but the question for Shero is, are Mueller, Yak, Sevs (as he continues to play) capable of developing into the kind of defensemen we will need to be truly competitive going forward?

Here is where dumping Lou (literally forcing him out) raises questions. Not that Lou hadn't fumbled the ball with roster development badly by the time he left and not that new ownership didn't need to get their own man in there, rather than someone who thought he owned the team. But the philosophy always was build from the back end out. Right now that's where our problems are.
Excellent post. I enjoyed reading it.

Edit:
One thing though, I do think Santini is a decent to good skater. Obviously he is not going to be a dynamic up the ice Dman but I do think he has the ability to be effective in an up tempo system.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
By the way, Santini was very solid last night with very sheltered minutes.

He probably could use another few minutes, but he’s not good when loaded up with them. We’ve saw that before.

Play him respectable third pairing minutes and give him a lot of PK time and he could be very solid.

The team can’t do that. Those minutes are the exclusive property of Lovejoy. Why give sheltered minutes to a young developing defender who might learn from the when a long in the tooth vet whose contract is up at the end of the year needs to play the same sheltered minutes to be effective? Nope, Santini’s only possible option is to either play top pairing minutes against the other team’s best players or sit. There is no alternative to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad