Post-Game Talk: Blackwood shines in another Devils defeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If the team had only 16 wins in 54 games, Shero would be on the hot seat
I don't think so.

Hynes might be though.

If Cory is exiled to wherever and Blackwood can at least give serviceable goaltending and we're still losing a lot of games, I think that's when Hynes gets to thin ice territory. That's when his seat will be hot enough, his ass hairs will be starting to disintegrate. And even if it doesn't get him in trouble this year, it might put him on a probationary period to start next year and leave him little margin for error.

Reactions: Hinterland

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When you think about it, we haven't lost many 2-1 games this year. This isn't the first, but there hasn't been many.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I don't think so.

Hynes might be though.

If Cory is exiled to wherever and Blackwood can at least give serviceable goaltending and we're still losing a lot of games, I think that's when Hynes gets to thin ice territory. That's when his seat will be hot enough, his ass hairs will be starting to disintegrate. And even if it doesn't get him in trouble this year, it might put him on a probationary period to start next year and leave him little margin for error.
you dont think so??

16 in 54 rounds out to about 21 in 82. thatd be the lowest win total since ‘83

Not necessarily fired, but Shero would have some answering to do

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Ownership would have be the ones making the call on Shero and frankly I believe they will be very patient.

I say it all the time. They were super patient with the 76ers the Devils will be no different. Remember for us fans it’s longer then the ownership. We were dealing with missing the playoffs a few seasons before they got the team. I also believe they really don’t even feel their clock started until Ray got here because of how much Lou controlled at their start.

Shero is not in a hot seat this season no matter how bad they do.

I think they are alll in for developing and waiting like Shero has been saying. The change he has made already is enough to see they are heading in the right direction. I’ll take this lineup over any one of Lou’s for the last 3 years or so he was here. At least there is a chance for growth with Nico Bratt Butcher Coleman, Zacha, and then the newer vets like Palmieri and Hall just to name a few.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly, we just need some goaltending and we really need maybe one defenseman that can play what Andy Greene is now playing, which pushes Greene down to the current Lovejoy role and just let Lovejoy walk after this year.

You can say ''But we only scored one goal tonight! It's way more than goaltending!'' but like I said, how many games have we lost 2-1 this year? How many games have we lost in spite of good goaltending before tonight? Not as many as we've lost due to poor goaltending. I can't think of many. Maybe the Nashville game as of recent and there were a couple others. That shutout against the Islanders comes to mind.

Goal scoring has become a problem in the last few games though, that's a new problem, as we've been averaging over a 3 goals a game on the season, but it's probably dropped with the last two games. I think it was at exactly 3 coming into this game. The league average is about 3.08 goals per game.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Not surprised by Blackwood's performance, he played just as calm as he did all season in Binghamton. Quick and big is a good combination to have :)
On the other side of the scale, Severson was just awful. What an error machine he is. Greene and Lovejoy get criticized each game it seems, but Severson makes decisions all the f****** time that just makes my hair fall out in bunches. I would take him out for a few games send him on a lengthy vacation to clear his head.

Reactions: OmNomNom

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Not surprised by Blackwood's performance, he played just as calm as he did all season in Binghamton. Quick and big is a good combination to have :)
On the other side of the scale, Severson was just awful. What an error machine he is. Greene and Lovejoy get criticized each game it seems, but Severson makes decisions all the f****** time that just makes my hair fall out in bunches. I would take him out for a few games send him on a lengthy vacation to clear his head.

The problem is we don't have anyone better to push him. Sevs is the kind of guy who has the tools to put it all together, but when you are playing with Greene and Vats as your mentors on a nightly basis, there is nothing good to be learned.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Now you have to be careful with Blackwood. To much of that kind of game might weigh heavy on him.

I would consider sending back down after another game or two and then calling him back up in March...

I think over the next two months the wheels are going to fall off the bus. They shouldn't put Blackwood through that...But when they call him back up at the end of the year, it should be with the notion that he is competing for the starting goalie spot.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Severson is incredibly overrated in my eyes. It’s been what 5 seasons now...he continues to be responsible for more goals against than goals for and he never improves. I really don’t understand our fans’ love affair with this guy. He is nothing special.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Severson is incredibly overrated in my eyes. It’s been what 5 seasons now...he continues to be responsible for more goals against than goals for and he never improves. I really don’t understand our fans’ love affair with this guy. He is nothing special.
Anyone who has played for this team in the last 5 years has been responsible for more goals against than for...that is a silly argument. We couldn't break 200 goals as team for the vast majority of that time.

Attributing the GA/GF to a 20 to 23 year old Dman over that period of time when we were icing some of the worst teams in our history is pure nonsensical narrative BS.

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

You could argue a disproportionate number of his mistakes wind up in the net so I don't know how seriously to take the GA/60 stat. But looking at highlights like last night make it harder to defend him. WTF was he doing on the first goal shading toward the passer when Vat was already shading over there, leaving the shooter wide open in the goalmouth? WTF were both he and Greene doing letting both a pass and a skater get right behind them on the penalty shot for goal #2? He was largely responsible for both goals against last night. And at least one of Sevs or Vat had a head up their butt again on the near-goal split save Blackwood had.

Last edited:

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

He's an offensive powerhouse

offensive to my eyes. He really deserves to sit.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Anyone who has played for this team in the last 5 years has been responsible for more goals against than for...that is a silly argument. We couldn't break 200 goals as team for the vast majority of that time.

Attributing the GA/GF to a 20 to 23 year old Dman over that period of time when we were icing some of the worst teams in our history is pure nonsensical narrative BS.
He's worse in that regard than many of his team mates. Do you watch this kid play? He's a complete idiot in his own zone. Has been from day one and has not improved one single iota. He does not make up for it on the other side of the ice.

Why are you so enamored with this guy? He is truly nothing special, and the chances of him turning into anything more than an extremely flawed "offensive" d-man get slimmer with each passing season.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know I’m gonna be replied with “He’s had 5 games just as bad this year”, but last night was easily Severson’s worst not only of the season, but it rivals some of the worst of his entire career. I’m pretty sure he even had a team worst in relative corsi at 5 on 5, so no one can mock with “His corsi says he’s good tho, so advanced stats are garbage”.

However, I do applaud still calling him out in a game where the goalie only allowed 2 goals and I really genuinely mean that. I feel like games like this go unnoticed when the goals against are kept low.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Now you have to be careful with Blackwood. To much of that kind of game might weigh heavy on him.

I would consider sending back down after another game or two and then calling him back up in March...

I think over the next two months the wheels are going to fall off the bus. They shouldn't put Blackwood through that...But when they call him back up at the end of the year, it should be with the notion that he is competing for the starting goalie spot.
I partially agree with this. I think it’s wise to not load him up with games right now, but I’m not sure you can go back to Cory after this. He played a better game than Cory has in the regular season since December of last year. That doesn’t mean he’s good, as he can easily throw a stinker next game. It just means that he’s very likely the second best goalie in the organization right now. And Eddie Lack is awful and might be even worse than Cory at this point.

But since this is a throwaway season at this point, it doesn’t really matter if you play Cory or Lack when they’re healthy like they’re 2007 Marty Brodeur. It’s hard to see this team getting more than 70 points this year. Maybe even only 65. I was saying 70-75 a few weeks back, but I think we only have two wins since I said that and it’s had to have been about 12 games ago or more.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It’s actually starting to become realistic that we might only finish with 60-65 points this year. What’s our record since game 5 of the season? 7-15-7? That pace for the rest of the year gets us to like 61 points to end the season.

You gotta expect we’ll lose even more points after the deadline and we might barely win any games at all, much like the 2016-2017 team that had 3 wins in their last 25 games or whatever it was.

With the continued goaltending and a drop off in scoring, finishing with 60 points seems very possible right now.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I know I’m gonna be replied with “He’s had 5 games just as bad this year”, but last night was easily Severson’s worst not only of the season, but it rivals some of the worst of his entire career. I’m pretty sure he even had a team worst in relative corsi at 5 on 5, so no one can mock with “His corsi says he’s good tho, so advanced stats are garbage”.

However, I do applaud still calling him out in a game where the goalie only allowed 2 goals and I really genuinely mean that. I feel like games like this go unnoticed when the goals against are kept low.

That's what happens when you put him against top lines. He gets absolutely shit on.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Sadly, I think any of us could have predicted a goal like the Blue Jackets' first one with Vatanen and Severson as a pairing. Both of them on the same side of the ice with Foligno having time to eat a sandwich and bang that home.

Was very happy with MacBlack's performance. Can't say we didn't have our chances in the 3rd either.

No, it wasn't a great game by any means but this was still a game we were in and could have won.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's what happens when you put him against top lines. He gets absolutely **** on.
Who do you think does well against top lines on this team? Certainly not Andy Greene anymore.

Certainly not Santini.

Mueller was fine, but its still a small sample size.

I think Butcher has been doing a lot better with more minutes than most people thought he could, but I’m not sure he’s really faced a lot of top lines.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
By the way, Santini was very solid last night with very sheltered minutes.

He probably could use another few minutes, but he’s not good when loaded up with them. We’ve saw that before.

Play him respectable third pairing minutes and give him a lot of PK time and he could be very solid.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He's worse in that regard than many of his team mates. Do you watch this kid play? He's a complete idiot in his own zone. Has been from day one and has not improved one single iota. He does not make up for it on the other side of the ice.

Why are you so enamored with this guy? He is truly nothing special, and the chances of him turning into anything more than an extremely flawed "offensive" d-man get slimmer with each passing season.
You understand that right now Severson is our #1 Dman right?

Camille the Eel

Severson’s problem in our end is the mental end of the game. The mistakes aren’t technique. They’re decisions and reads. The worrisome thing is he keeps making the same mistakes year in, year out. You really hate to see that. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice . . .

The 2 - 1 game was because we went to a more cautious, Katey-bar-the-door style of game last night. It’s been a long time coming but, by telling the club he wanted more attention to D, Hynes finally is going to a lower event game. We had what, 4 shots or so mostly through the first period? We came out of the shell a bit when we went down 2 zip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad