Blackout Games

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
What does a Leaf and Hab's fan family supposed to do have world war 3 in the living room.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
In Canada Rogers owns all broadcast and digital rights (they lease some to Bell/TSN though) and games under a blackout in Canada is just Rogers blacking out Rogers customers because they think they can squeeze another dime out of you. Stop giving them money and the blackouts will stop eventually.

Even though ONE company owns all digital rights, you would need to subscribe to 3 streaming services to see every game. 2 of those services are controlled by Rogers.

Please, anyone, correct me if I'm mistaken.
Ugh, I’m stuck with Rogers solely because Bell found a way not to make their product work in my house in spite of the fact everyone in my neighborhood uses them.

The day DAZN or some other company comes up with a $40 monthly fee for nhl/nfl broadcasts I’ll happily switch forever.

YWGF18

Oct 24, 2011
Winnipeg
The worst part of these blackouts is that my Shaw Pvr defaults to the lowest HD channel with Jets games.

Meaning of I tell it to record all jets games, instead of recording TSN3 it will record the Sportsnet blackout screen for 3 1/2 hours. :@

If anyone found a solution I'm all ears.

Reactions: NatoGhost

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Like they say, the idea is to "protect home markets." That means that the Vancouver Canucks want fans in their viewing region to grow up with easier access to Vancouver Canucks games so that more people in the region end up being Vancouver Canucks fans and spend their money on the Vancouver Canucks. The Calgary Flames want fans in their viewing region to grow up with easier access to Calgary Flames games so that more people in the region end up being Calgary Flames fans and spend their money on the Calgary Flames.

It may seem silly and minor, but I suppose that the concern is that if you can treat any team as your home team in terms of watching the games, why would a kid become a Canucks fan if the current most trendy Canadian team is the Leafs?

That is my understanding, anyway. This is not aimed at adults who are established in their fandom. It is to make sure the supply of those adults is retained for each market.
It still doesn't make sense to me, but even if that is the case it still seems strange that in a season where there are no fans they wouldn't make it easier for everyone to watch.

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
And how much is that a month?
$35/month I believe (off the top of my head). Also includes MLB, NBA, OHL, and I think a couple other leagues too. In the past, you had to subscribe for a minimum of 6 months but they told me a couple weeks ago that you can cancel anytime after the first month because of the uncertainty with the pandemic.

Normally we get it for OHL and NHL and then cancel once the OHL playoffs are over. The don’t keep it for NHL playoffs since regular networks tend to show the playoff games.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Netflix, Disney, Hulu, or Amazon should invest in Sports broadcasting productions, and just do it themselves.

Disney is one if not the world biggest sport broadcaster no ?

Netflix is a lot about watching stuff when you want, daily type of shows does not work and I would imagine event that are mostly relevant live and local a big move from their business models and base for success.

Broadcast seem the logical way to do sports.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Disney is one if not the world biggest sport broadcaster no ?

Netflix is a lot about watching stuff when you want, daily type of shows does not work and I would imagine event that are mostly relevant live and local a big move from their business models and base for success.

Broadcast seem the logical way to do sports.
All of these streaming services are battling for more content.

Sports is endless new content.

Last year Amazon bought the streaming rights for thursday night football. Immediately scored nearly half the ratings that night.

Streaming isn't the future. It's now.

Sports are just lagging behind. Once they move to streaming then cable is as good as dead.

TV Ratings: First Streaming-Only NFL Game Scores Solid Numbers - Variety

Reactions: NatoGhost

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Once they move to streaming then cable is as good as dead.

I feel streaming will become cable at that point, not only the data going through the same cable by the same people obviously but would not be surprised to see some form of multicast/broadcast come in if 100 millions house watch the superbowl in 4K 30 mbits, surround sound at the same time just people calling it streaming/Internet to make it sound different.

Sports is endless new content.

But content that value disappear fast and need an audience that watch has it happen/live content, their audience was built over a watch when you want model. It can make sense for Amazon and obviously for Disney via Espn streaming and their other worldwide sport platform, not sure for Netflix.

And it is not like ESPN (Disney) has not offer streaming for a while, no ? Like you said it is not really the future at this point, it is 2017 to now.

And has streaming being now, that it is also true of pay TV :
The global pay TV market size was estimated at USD 225.9 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 230.68 billion in 2020.

It is still huge. And it is not obvious for live even massively watched if Ip personnel streaming bring much over broadcast (that seem the perfect technology for it), most of the issue people bring seem to be related to rights not the technology and those right issue would still be all there (and if not they could easily not be with cable if they wanted too), you can still IP blackout regions and have them use VPN to get out of it if they want with streaming.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They can't without purchasing the rights to those games.

A simpler solution would be to eliminate blackouts for Center Ice or put together a package to allow consumers to watch games for their favorite team and use some of those proceeds to compensate the local TV provider for those games from purchases within that area.

There are different types of blackouts.

(1) national televised games exclusivity.

This is common in all sports where only one game is scheduled to air. If another game is schedule then they can’t air.

(2) center ice and hockey team home markets.

if you subscribe to nhl center ice you should still get to air the games. The nhl center ice feed is from the local tv market . But the concern us local ratings this lower ad revenue.

the other problem is the non-exclusive blackout. This happens in the USA where local teams still have tv rights. There are only so many games national tv can claim rights to. Other games they can air but it’s blacked out for the teams market playing the game.

this definition is a big part of the problem. In a metro area where each county sets cable contracts you can have 4+ different companies, then there is satellite feed too. Some regional sports networks claim exclusivity on a marketwirh little coverage.

there is a little know fcc rule on blackouts. An example if this happened when there was a dispute between local cbs affiliate and major cable company in the county Buffalo is in. This happened during nfl season in buffalo where the cbs station was dropped from cable so many couldn’t watch the game. This game was also aired in southern Ontario on civ. Because viewership in Erie county ( where buffalo is) was too low thus feed coukd be blocked. In the neighboring county Niagara to the north ( where Niagara Falls is) there was enough regular watchers of Covid that the feed could not be blocked. In that county people could watch civ and get the game.

another example...at the time I was living in the Norfolk-Virginia beach area in 2005-2006 season. Buffalo had advanced to conference finals. I went to watch the other series of Carolina playing New Jersey ) I think)
The game was on versus/nbcsn but it wasn’t exclusive. Carolina claimed exclusivity and blocked the game. My cable provider didn’t carry the local fox sports network Carolina games aired,

the latter example is where they could be smarter on blackouts by broadcast source and knowing if you could get the game from this source.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I keep getting blacked out of games that obviously shouldn't be, for instance right now I can't watch Tampa/Detroit which is on SUN and FS-D and I live in St Louis. Location-based services are turned on. I'd probably be able to watch it after its over, that's what happened with a couple North Div. games I wanted to watch recently. This service really is a bad joke.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
The blackouts are just antiquated at this point.

Especially when it comes to Center Ice. I live in NJ and I can't get Devils/Rangers/Islanders games unless I subscribe to a cable service, DirecTV or Fubo. I'm done with cable service, don't want to toss a dish on my house and Fubo TV flat out sucks. I'd gladly pay to have center ice to watch my team, but that's just not an option as all those games are blacked out. So, I find another way to watch without giving the league money.

I have Directv, but my parents want to get rid of it due to cost. I told them I'd appreciate if we kept it so I can still watch my sports. I heard about Fubo recently and have thought about possibly subscribing. If you don't mind, what exactly about Fubo is bad?

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
What are NHL Blackouts? Here’s what you need to know - Sportsnet NOW

Maybe I’m missing something here and correct me if I am, but I just don’t see how this is good business. Last night, the Montreal/Vancouver game was blacked out for over half of the country, literally 2 of the biggest markets in the NHL. Considering there are no fans at the games, and the amount of cross-country games due to this new division, I don’t understand how this helps grow the game.

Without reading this thread:

I honestly thought because of covid there wouldn’t be blackouts and you know Center Ice and Gamecenter aren’t even really discounted to reflect it’s only 56 game season.

It’s stupid.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
inferiority complex….networks and advert buyers are afraid the other team's game will pull viewers away from them…. boo f***ing hoo

but why? ….it's not like i'm not going to just start tuning in to the local broadcast game of 2 teams i dont give 2 shits about just because my team is blacked out?

idiocy

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
We’re in Ontario, we pay for sportsnet and they still blacked out the Montreal game last night, yet we could watch the Vegas game. The NHL is clearly behind the NBA and NFL in terms of viewership for various reasons, garbage like this doesn’t help

sad that networks are so fearful of someone a 7 hour drive away might want to watch

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I keep getting blacked out of games that obviously shouldn't be, for instance right now I can't watch Tampa/Detroit which is on SUN and FS-D and I live in St Louis. Location-based services are turned on. I'd probably be able to watch it after its over, that's what happened with a couple North Div. games I wanted to watch recently. This service really is a bad joke.

That's because it was on NBCSN so nationally televised. Had the same issue on NHL.TV and switched to watch it with Sling Blue.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The problem is not one of "why didn't anyone think of that!" but rather that the league's network deals, meaning the deals that the NHL strikes with NBC/Comcast, Rogers Sportsnet, TSN are all predicated on the idea that live sports is what keeps people still subscribing to cable. They make damned sure that blackout restrictions are in place before they sign a deal with the NHL.

They do not want compensation in exchange for cord cutters watching their favorite teams on a streaming service. They want to prevent any more cord cutting, or make it clear that those who cut the cord do not get to watch live sports, at least not without resorting to illegal streams, VPNs, etc.

This isn't a by-product or an oversight to be worked around, but a core feature of cable companies holding the broadcast rights to hockey all up and down the national, the other national, and many of the regional sports broadcasters. They want blackouts and retaining those blackouts is a non-negotiable facet of the deals themselves. For many people, live sports is the only thing preventing the holdouts from cutting the cord for good. The cable companies and networks know that.

It's coming one day, but the cable companies are going to stave off that inevitable replacement of cable with some other model for as long as they can do so. It's such a good deal for the companies to charge people for a broad package of channels rather than a la carte viewing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad